Author Topic: "Mango Baller" Problems  (Read 6188 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
"Mango Baller" Problems
« on: July 18, 2016, 11:30:32 PM »
"Mango Baller" = person with 50+ lbs of mangoes in their kitchen.  Any ideas on how to process large quantities of mangoes for freezing?  I want to eat mango in December.

I started freezing whole mangoes.  You can peel it and eat it as it is defrosting.  I froze about 20 whole mangoes, but they take up a lot of space.  I am currently peeling and then freezing a bunch of mangoes, but it is a lot of work.  I am trying to keep them organized by variety, but I have about eight varieties at this time of year plus figuring out which are ripe, overripe, etc.   Dehydrator is currently reserved for a bananas.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
Re: "Mango Baller" Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 11:55:17 PM »
You're likely to recive fewer helpful postings and more jealously indignant glances with these "problems" of yours. I have no experience here. :: insert jealous indignant glare:: Good luck.
Keith

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 12:24:22 AM »
You're likely to recive fewer helpful postings and more jealously indignant glances with these "problems" of yours. I have no experience here. :: insert jealous indignant glare:: Good luck.
Keith

Thanks Keith.  I seem to get flamed no matter what I post on here.  For a long time I suggested people should consider productivity and disease resistance, instead of just "taste" of a mango.   I got flamed for that.  I am in a high fungus pressure area (western palm beach county).  You are also in a high fungus pressure area, so you may benefit by planting disease resistant varieties.  But fungus seems to change over time, Carrie seems to have problems with the new strains of fungus.  Just keep planting productive, disease resistant varieties of mangoes and you will have the same problem I have.   :)
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 08:59:32 AM »
I'm still a few years away from being a "Mango Baller".

Do you think slicing off the two cheeks and scooping out the flesh would be easier then peeling?
I'd assume saving a few seconds per mango might be worth it when you have that many to go through

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 09:32:04 AM »
No way getting around the fact that it is a lot of work!  We never did 50 lbs. at a time, but what worked for us is slicing the mangos above and below the seeds, scooping out the flesh, freezing it on a tray, and then putting the frozen pieces in zip-lock bags.  Simple and fairly quick.  Very compact freezer storage.
John

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 09:56:21 AM »
No way getting around the fact that it is a lot of work!  We never did 50 lbs. at a time, but what worked for us is slicing the mangos above and below the seeds, scooping out the flesh, freezing it on a tray, and then putting the frozen pieces in zip-lock bags.  Simple and fairly quick.  Very compact freezer storage.
1.)a vacuum sealer works very well for this and the packages take up little room
2.) dried mango is great too- invest in another dehydrator?
3.) Give some to the neighbors - they really appreciate it
4.) A church food bank would also be happy to take some
5.) Mango preserves and mango butters are wonderful - canning isn't too hard and sweet canned items last for 2 years or more, and they make great holiday gifts

Congrats on all of the mangos!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 09:58:02 AM by naturelover »

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 02:58:32 PM »
Making fruit leather would require quite a bit of fruit, and it cooks down. Hey, you could even sell it!
Anisha

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 03:03:13 PM »
1.)a vacuum sealer works very well for this and the packages take up little room
5.) Mango preserves and mango butters are wonderful - canning isn't too hard and sweet canned items last for 2 years or more, and they make great holiday gifts

Do you have a good recipe for mango butter?

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 04:19:08 PM »

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I filled about a dozen quart size bags with mangoes last night.  The most efficient method I found was to slice off the two cheeks. Then slice off the two "tabs" left on the seed.  I ended up throwing away the rest of the flesh on the seed.  I used a tablespoon to scoop out the flesh from the skin.  I then put them into freezer ziplock bags and squeezed as much of the air out as possible.  I separated by variety and wrote the variety and year on the outside of the bag. 

Putting the flesh into a blender and puree can also minimize freezer burn, but would slow me down further.
www.FLMangos.com

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 07:17:40 PM »
We found that freezing the pieces on a tray first before putting them in the bags makes the fruit easier to separate when you go to actually use it, as it's not all frozen in a solid block.
John

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 11:22:54 PM »
I hope to have this problem some day. But how much flavor gets lost in the freezing process?
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 03:28:59 AM »
Well what you are doing is what people in the "old days" had to do every year.

besides freezing,   you can also "pulp" the fruit.  blending it, and putting it zip lock backs,  similar to fruit pulps you see in stores.
then as some mentioned you could dehydrate them, and make leathers.   finally you have "canning"  using bell jars,  and making preserves, jams marmalade's and such.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 08:18:09 AM »

besides freezing,   you can also "pulp" the fruit.  blending it, and putting it zip lock backs,  similar to fruit pulps you see in stores.
then as some mentioned you could dehydrate them, and make leathers.   finally you have "canning"  using bell jars,  and making preserves, jams marmalade's and such.

That would be "Ball" mason jars.
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 01:02:47 PM »
I hope to have this problem some day. But how much flavor gets lost in the freezing process?

If you plant varieties like Pickering, Florigon, and Glenn, you will probably have this problem.  I am sure some flavor gets lots, but there would be no way to objectively measure it and I suspect the flavor loss varies based on the variety, degree of ripeness, etc. However, eating frozen mangoes during the winter will still be enjoyable.
www.FLMangos.com

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 01:05:38 PM »
We found that freezing the pieces on a tray first before putting them in the bags makes the fruit easier to separate when you go to actually use it, as it's not all frozen in a solid block.

I agree with you, but I picked another 20 lbs of mango today.  I just don't have the desire to that much work.  The more exotic varieties like Coconut Cream, Angie, Ugly Betty, and Spirit of 76 are ripe.
www.FLMangos.com

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 03:15:26 PM »

Might be time to put a "Mango For sale" sign in the yard...there's a house about 3 miles from me that had one, she was selling Glenn for .50 cents each...Large, nice and delicious. She said she had more than she could eat  :)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 08:29:17 PM »
"I ended up throwing away the rest of the flesh on the seed. "

Could you try a bit harder so they land on my house in SoCal, Big man? I meant Baller.

This year I will get one medium size Glenn, and one Maha. The Kent seedling flowered crazy but aborted all fruits (no seed). I think it flowered too early in the cold was the reason. Next year I will pull off all flower until April.  The same happened to 10ft tall Edward -- tons of flower and not a single fruit. Edward continued sending a few flower stalks time to time but still have no mature fruit. VP had one healthy fruit but got boiled in the record heat last month.

Ship me the mangoes for process and storage, for free. I will ship you back in winter some.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 08:54:22 PM »
"I ended up throwing away the rest of the flesh on the seed. "

Could you try a bit harder so they land on my house in SoCal, Big man? I meant Baller.

This year I will get one medium size Glenn, and one Maha. The Kent seedling flowered crazy but aborted all fruits (no seed). I think it flowered too early in the cold was the reason. Next year I will pull off all flower until April.  The same happened to 10ft tall Edward -- tons of flower and not a single fruit. Edward continued sending a few flower stalks time to time but still have no mature fruit. VP had one healthy fruit but got boiled in the record heat last month.

Ship me the mangoes for process and storage, for free. I will ship you back in winter some.

Sapote:  all of my mango trees are grafted.  I suggest paying the money for grafted trees, the seedlings are a gamble.  I think the only polyembronic mango you listed is the Maha.  Can't ship to California; California has tight restrictions on shipping fruit.
www.FLMangos.com

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 10:31:03 PM »
Dear Mr. Clean:

All of mine are grafting from Toptrop in FL, except one Kent seedling that I had mentioned.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 10:47:17 PM »
Dear Mr. Clean:

All of mine are grafting from Toptrop in FL, except one Kent seedling that I had mentioned.

Excellent.
www.FLMangos.com

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 08:58:10 AM »
I like the vacuum sealer idea.
I check them out every time I go down that aisle in Costco.

Even if some flavor is lost, you can make some powerful mango margaritas in December.  :)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 11:41:03 PM »
Right now I'm a "mango pauper," with only a few mangos in the kitchen waiting to ripen.  :(   The fresh mango I have eaten this year are:  Angie, Coconut Cream, Fairchild, and Rosigold. 

But my trees with mangos that I expect to harvest from this year:  Carrie, Angie, Peach Cobbler, Sunrise, Fairchild, Florigon, Pickering, Glenn, Lemon Zest, Mahachanok, Spirit of 76, Valencia Pride, Beverly, Ugly Betty, Nam Doc Mai, Coconut Cream, Duncan, Keitt, Dupuis, Mallika, Neelam.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 11:44:12 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 11:51:45 PM »

That would be "Ball" mason jars.

Year later, thanks for the correction,  not the first time I call those caning jars "bell" jars instead of the correct "ball"
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 07:44:00 PM »

I tried that this year.  The frozen fruit quality is actually better.  Freezing separate pieces creates a "flash freeze" process, which better preserves the texture of the fruit. 
www.FLMangos.com

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2017, 08:50:16 PM »
Just wanted to say congrats. I remember your posts when your orchard was younger and you were a little impatiently waiting for fruit to set. People gave you grief about it. Good to see you are harvesting the fruits of your labors. From your signature it seems you will be swimming in fruit for years to come!