Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 189338 times)

norahhosin

• Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1375 on: May 05, 2017, 11:16:33 AM »
Hi all,

I am glad this forum exists - so much easier to use and without annoying ads. Not sure whom to thank, but thanks! I have a rather small collection of fruit and nut plants. I cannot say that I know a lot about growing and it has mostly been a journey of trial an errors. I do like to grow and eat tropical fruits that most people like too, but I am particularly interested in growing some of the more rare species. It's like going on a treasure hunt that may last for years until you find certain seeds.

Bye for now.

Tomas

cool, bye. :D

sebo420

• Trinidad and Tobago/ Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: May 13, 2017, 06:34:44 AM »
Hello Everyone my name is Sebastian. Im from Trini. Love to plant fruits and love to eat them even more. Always on the hunt for new and rare species!

I got a small piece of land close to the beach. I am in the process of planting lots of different fruits that I have started from seed! Mangosten, Rambutan, Hybrid Jabotica monkey plum, and many others.

looking forward to talking with yall and sharing experiences!

ekstra`

• USA, Florida, Port St. Lucie, Subtropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: May 16, 2017, 05:08:13 PM »
I'm a Florida native who spent a lot of time on Merritt Island in my youth. My grandmother rented a house there called "Tropic Grove", which had a small orange grove behind it.
We harvested a couple of wild mangos two or three years ago (unfortunately, the tree is no longer fruiting as it is in the embrace of a strangler fig, and because it's on local park property, the strangler won't be removed). We planted the seeds, and one of them grew to almost 30"...but then fell victim to fire ants.
I saw with interest the photos from 2012 of Ensey's groves on Merritt Island. When we were kids they were considered the richest family on the island.
I hope to come to the site often.

norahhosin

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: May 17, 2017, 05:34:58 AM »
Hi all. Im kinda introverted person so basically i dont know what to say. Im new here, but i find my way to catch up with the forums and looking forward for some posting in the future!

stuartjames

• usa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: May 18, 2017, 05:17:16 AM »
Hello every one, i am Stuart. How are you all?

Beeders

• Missouri
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: May 18, 2017, 01:50:20 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm in Missouri but hoping to relocate somewhere tropical soon. I'm growing an Inga (not sure the species. Bought it from Rivers End Nursery) and black sapote in a greenhouse right now. I have cherimoya seeds I want to plant soon. I love rare tropical fruit! Cherimoya is by far my favorite and my usual supplier is not offering any for 2017. :( 
 So far I have tried rambutan, cherimoya, black sapote, white sapote, dragon fruit. Will be trying ice cream bean fruit very soon, which will probably be right up there with cherimoya. :)
 Mangosteen is next.
I am happy to be here and hope to learn a lot from everyone.

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: May 21, 2017, 05:27:01 PM »
Hi there everybody, i live in Southern California. I am an avid plant grower. Have grown many different flowering and fruiting plants for years. Have recently taken on a whole group of new plants. I have everything in my yard from mangos,  and guavas to mamey, and almond. I love plants that are considered exotics in my neck of the woods, and i very much enjoy having the only jungle yard on the block. I am looking forward to conversing with like minded individuals out there who love their greenery

Matis

• Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: May 29, 2017, 04:48:52 PM »
Hello,

My name is Matis, I am from the Netherlands but I would like to move to Belize.
I already know some people in Belize, and I want to buy some tropical fruit seeds for them that are not available yet in Belize (mainly South-East Asian fruits).

Greetings

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: May 30, 2017, 09:35:41 AM »
Hi everyone,

Been reading this forum for about 6 months now.  What an amazing resource this place is. 

I am from FL but now live in St. Croix, US Virgin Islands.  I have a one acre property where I am building my house.  Have planted several fruit plants and trees and all are doing great.  Looking to purchase the neighboring one acre property as well so I can expand my orchard.

Regards,
Matt

boopnloop

• USA/Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: May 31, 2017, 12:12:55 AM »
Hey everyone! My name is Ashley. I'm a member of gw, but I didn't come from there. I remember googling something and this site popped up, so I joined! I am located in central TX, so it's starting to get hot!! We've already had at least 10, 90f+ days. But, with that, I usually grow stuff indoors. The heat and wind is unpredictable, and it's hard to monitor my seedlings. Currently I am growing;

(not tropical. Listing everything)
Cape gooseberry
Tomato

(Tropical)
Lychee (sprouted 1 seed, have another coming)
Pomegranate (wonderful)
Dragonfruit (Yellow, American Beauty, and Tricia)
Passionfruit (purple)
and Jackfruit!

I look forward to meeting everyone!

cpnurse

• ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: June 01, 2017, 01:04:09 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Courtney and I am completely new to all of this. I just got a Meyer lemon tree for mothers day and am wanting to make sure it thrives. its a 1-2 year old tree ordered from lemoncitrustrees.com. I repotted it after two weeks because the pot it came in was so tall and thin there was no way to keep it from constantly falling over. Its in miracle grow all purpose garden soil. I had heard good things about it. I drilled extra holes in the bottom of the plastic pot its in. its on a stand and now out on the front patio getting morning sun/late afternoon shade. seems to be green and doing well. I am needing info on fertilizer recommendations and frequency, what pH the soil should be at and how to change the PH. I have heard about adding epsom salt? or coffee grounds to the soil occasionally so I would like more info on that and why etc. Any tips/tricks to keep this Meyer lemon growing and thriving would be appreciated. thanks!

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: June 11, 2017, 03:58:45 AM »
Hi everybody

I didn't see this topic until now so I came 5 posts late, sorry!

I'm a Spanish biologist and a big fan of gardening and organic agriculture. This year I'm starting seriously to set my collection of subtropical and tropical fruit trees. Since I live in a coastal town surrounded by mountains, my plants enjoy a real microclimate with a never freezing, always over 39F weather (which on the other hand is quite a problem regarding most varieties of temperate fruit trees).

I have several fruit trees like kaimana and wai chee litchis, Nam Doc Mai and Keitt mangoes, Tanaka loquat or La Molina Lucuma. I have sown this very weekend Rollinia deliciosa, Annona muricata y Annona deliciosa. Also planning to graft next month 5 top varieties of mangoes.

Amazingly useful info you've gathered here. After so many weeks reading you, it's just a pleasure to become a member of this forum.

Best regards,

Jose
Jose

JenRiot

• San Diego, CA 10a/b, 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: June 12, 2017, 11:06:19 PM »
Hello everyone!

My name is Jen.  I've been an orchid grower for about the past ten years (usually cramming a couple hundred plants in and outside of the few apartments I've lived in, which was quite a challenge, but given that I had no other option I made it work!) .  I tend to grow mostly species like dendrobiums, laelias, cattleyas, a few bulbous, but also many others!

Earlier this year I moved into a house which (wonder of wonders!) has a front and back yard!  After I almost immediately built a shade room for my orchids I realized the full potential of the space I had and started to explore the possibilities of finally growing some of the tropical fruit that I've always absolutely loved.

For many years I've searched out as many kinds of interesting fruit as I can possibly find.  My favorites have to be (in no real order) mangosteens, cherimoyas, longans, lychees, papaya,  mangos, and pineapple.  Being that only so many things are available in markets around San Diego, I have a LONG way to go when it comes to tasting even a small fraction of the things out there, but I'm actively trying!

Recently I've begun to grow some fruit trees (jaboticaba, fuyu persimmon, Pickering mango, nazemetz strawberry guava, miracle berry) and have been starting seeds or cuttings of others (lychee, rambutan, mamey sapote, random yellow mango, longan, figs, cherimoya, papaya, fuyu and chocolate persimmon, pineapple).  I'm having better luck with some than others but I'm the type of person who will keep trying until I succeed or exhaust myself!  There are still many things I'd like to grow and am planning on getting a strawberry tree (muntingia calburia) in a couple of weeks to add to my collection.  I'm just so excited to finally have the space to garden and grow everything I've always wanted to, even if they have to potentially stay in containers since this is a rental house (though we may be buying it in the future- I'd rather be safe than sorry.  Wouldn't want to have to leave any of my beloved trees or plants behind!).

I've been mostly growing in containers, but if I come across something I must have and it must be grown in the ground I'm willing to go for it, however the yard isn't huge and is largely taken up with orchids, various epiphytes, and my garden, so size, deliciousness, and time until fruiting are the most important factors in what I'll be choosing.

Other than that, I'm just excited to be growing, and I feel really fortunate to live in such a perfect climate for so many types of fruit!  I'm looking forward to taking with you all!

Cheers!

alinamg

• USA, California, Sacramento USDA 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: June 22, 2017, 04:11:41 PM »
Hi, everyone my name is Alina I am new to this group and joined a few days ago. I grow lots of different tropicals and am on the hunt for named varieties now. I hope to learn from ya'll! Thank you!

myrciariaglomerata

• Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: June 23, 2017, 09:06:35 PM »
Hi

I have Myrciaria Glomerata, Seeds and Scions for sale.

I m From Argentina

myrciariaglomerata

• Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: June 23, 2017, 09:11:14 PM »
Hi

I have Myrciaria Glomerata, Seeds and Scions for sale.

few seeds only

I m From Argentina

hyperactiv

• Singapore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: June 24, 2017, 03:59:41 AM »
Hi Everyone

We have a soursop farm in Johor Bahru and would like to share that we have soursop fruits for sale in Singapore

I got soursop fruits tomorrow
Let me know if you would like to order

1.1.532kg
2.1.651kg
3.1.678kg
4.2.145kg
5.2.194kg
6.2.251kg

Do contact me @ +65 9186 4757 for any orders

Thank you

igrowmangos

• https://m.facebook.com/groups/656091337926681
    • USA, Central Florida, Orlando, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
« Reply #1392 on: July 05, 2017, 08:33:53 PM »
Hello all, I am a mango tree grower and fruit lover. I love the mango fruit so much I even created a Facebook Page called Mango Tree Growers Of America with lots of information about mango tree growing and the members are very active posting photos and information. It was originally called Florida Mango Tree Growers Club, but do to popular demand the members expanded from Florida to USA statewide and now I am receiving messages that it should be renamed Mango Tree Growers of the World  ;D. I don't plan to expand it that much because mango trees were originally imported from other countries, so we are currently trying to help each other grow the perfect mango tree and fruit in all kinds of zones from Florida to California to Alaska :) . So that is a little bit about me and my goals are to expose all information regarding backyard mango trees and propigation, grafting, container growing, and fruit tasting.

My current list of trees are

1. Haden
2. Valencia Pride
3. Kathy (k-3)
4. Maha Chinuk (Maha Chanok)
5. Nam Doc Mai
6. Coconut Cream (Coconut Cream)
7 Piņa Colada
8. Orange Sherbet
9. Angie

Thank you all!

Here is the Facebook link... https://m.facebook.com/groups/656091337926681

Mango Tree Growers Of America, come help us grow the perfect mango tree!

raggashack

• Austria, Vienna, 6-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: July 06, 2017, 02:19:50 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have been reading here for too long without an account, but theres so much interessting stuff so I decided to finally register.
Iam from Austria and so far i only grow 5 citrus plants in containers, with not that much success, but iam trying to learn from what Millet and others write and it seems to get better with every step i do like Millet says ^^

I also grow some other fruits and vegetables but for me citrus is the most interessting, because i thought it would be way more easy to get them growing in my climate, oh boy was i wrong....

Mugenia

• People's Republic of California USDA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: July 09, 2017, 11:27:26 AM »
Hello everyone,

I just moved to Southern Cali and am in the process of planting a bunch of tropical fruit trees. So far, I have guava, avocado, longan, miracle fruit, jab, atemoya. I still have a long list to go. I have 0.35 acre of land here. This forum is wonderful. Thanks everyone!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: July 09, 2017, 11:23:51 PM »
Hello everyone,

I just moved to Southern Cali and am in the process of planting a bunch of tropical fruit trees. So far, I have guava, avocado, longan, miracle fruit, jab, atemoya. I still have a long list to go. I have 0.35 acre of land here. This forum is wonderful. Thanks everyone!

Find out your chill hours and then seek out appropriate Zaiger stone fruit and plant as many as you can...then, plant as many of the best varieties of c-h-e-r-i-m-o-y-a.
- Rob

Yohinan

• USA/FL/East Coast/9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: July 12, 2017, 08:09:13 AM »
Good Day, I am in the central Florida locale and have been involved in horticulture in one form or another for the past 25 years.

I am having some issues with the forum and am wondering how to get in contact with a moderator who has full permissions over user accounts? If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. TIA Yohi

srinis1

• Chula Vista, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: July 16, 2017, 11:08:51 AM »
Hi all, my name is Sunny and I live in San Diego county. I am an amateur gardener and I am very interested in tropical fruits and vegies. I try to grow the vegies by saving few seeds from last harvest and have been doing so for few years. I have successfully grown a Morangey tree (a.k.a. Tree of Life) from seeds that I found in Hawaii and a guavava from from the seeds of a fruit (white flesh, each fruit about the size of a softball). I will be asking some questions about grafting fruit trees etc. in the forum and am looking forward to some excellent information from all the experts.

Regards

Sunny

Sarah

• New zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: July 17, 2017, 05:31:50 PM »
Hello, I'm reasonably new to subtropical fruit collecting.

We live in the north island of New Zealand, it's a zone 9b here, we get the odd frost in winter.

We are on a lifestyle block with a couple of sheep, chickens and ducks, I'm also a hobby beekeeper in between looking after my 3 preschoolers.

Some of the subtropical trees I have so far
Suriname cherry
Jujube
Miracle fruit
Honey berry
Blackberry jam fruit
Lucuma
Jackfruit
Casana
Mountain paw paw
White Sapote
Black sapote
cherimoya
Papino
Tamarillo orange
Tamarillo red.
Banana Australia ladyfinger
Fig, dwarf venture
MULBERRY -  Black Ukrainian
MULBERRY -Dwarf Shah Toot
Inga Bean 
jabuticaba

Harish-C

• United States
    • View Profile
Introducing Myself
« Reply #1399 on: Today at 02:46:36 PM »
New to this forum; just signed up today.  Originally from India, and naturally, am interested in growing tropical fruit I grew up eating back in the old country.  I am trying to learn as much as possible on how to grow tropical fruit in containers living in NJ, zone 6b climate.  Just started on this project this year, and I presently have a few small fig tree plants, a couple of pink guavas, two dwarf pomegranates, and just ordered a couple of dwarf papayas.  I am also looking for an inexpensive source to get a couple of dwarf star fruit plants.   Would like to learn from others' experience if any here have successfully grown these fruit in similar climate (zone 6).   

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers