Author Topic: Zone 8 cold hardy citrus(panama city, fl region)  (Read 4410 times)

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Zone 8 cold hardy citrus(panama city, fl region)
« on: November 08, 2016, 09:17:22 AM »
Before too long I will be moving up to the Panama city area. I love citrus fruits and use stuff such as limes and lemons a lot but love them all. I was wondering if any of y'all would be kind enough to give me a good list of citrus that would grow there in outdoor conditions without much protection. Root stock and edible quality suggestions welcome.

Would trade for anything that's container tolerant at least a few years. All kinds of stuff to trade but I guess FL members I can only trade with. Lots of perennial tropical veggies, herbs, tropical fruits, rare sacred plants to trade. If your looking for anything just ask I may have!

DG
Trying to grow it all!

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Zone 8 cold hardy citrus(panama city, fl region)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 08:54:43 PM »
Look up "Just Fruits and Exotics " in Crawfordville, FL. Waculla county. They have a good variety of citrus and bananas that are hardy in the panhandle.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 06:24:24 AM »
Yes last time I went up there I passed right by their nursery! Unfortunately I didn't have the time to stop. Its only about 1.5 hrs from my property on highway 98. I'm totally gonna check them out once I get there!
Trying to grow it all!

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 08:47:00 PM »
Last time I looked on Just Fruits and Exotics site they had Ichang lemon which you should be able to grow there with no protection. I've made lemonade out of it and can attest to it's wonderfulness. One of these large lemons sitting on my kitchen counter spread lemony fragrance throughout my kitchen and living room. They used to have native crabapples too and I make good jelly out of them.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 01:18:49 PM »
Cool definitely gonna stop in there someday. Hoping to move up that way within a few years.
Trying to grow it all!

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 08:17:32 PM »
Here is what I have outdoors unprotected unless severe freeze. In in Pensacola not far from your destination. Id advise to locate as close to the coast as possile for the additional heat.

Blood Oranges, - excellent
Hamlin oranges - have been better producers and are cold hardier- Trifoliate and us 897. - no production from us 897 yet
Myers lemon- softball lemons - trifoliate rstk
Owari Satsuma- think it was cleopatra rootstock
Ponkan Mandarin-- unknow rtstk
Xie Shan -
Navel orange- excellent - trifoliate
Dekopon- plant is hardier than fruit it appears . fruit is excellent but cold intolerant below 32

others that friends grow-

kimbrough satsuma, ichan lemons for sure.

Not citrus but here are some others

apples- anna dorset golden and ein shimer
look into thornless arkansaw self erect black berries exceelnt - apache navaho arapahoe for all summer long production
kiwis- friends grow them prolific thouh needs few years and trellis system

plums-
santa rosa , methley, catilina, burbank. I have specific recommendations for rtstk for these. Let me know if interested.

blueberries-- titan, vernon and --SUNSHINE BLUE- the best in my opinion because most toletant of high ph of all the verieghties Ive grown. 5-1-1 mix in pots for these - You have tons of blueberries !-- I use 55 gallon water barrels (plastic) and cut in half for each plant. I like to move mine around..

And many more I could list that Ive got growing. This should start you off.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 08:20:50 PM by LaCasaVerde »

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 08:19:52 PM »
Second Just Fruits and exotics but will cost you a bundle if you have a larger planting in mind -Id reference Brite Leaf and have a couple more sources when you get closer to needing the info.