Author Topic: Looking for advice on growing Purple Mangosteen  (Read 3088 times)

Schutzhund

• United States, Los Angeles, CA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Looking for advice on growing Purple Mangosteen
« on: December 23, 2016, 04:23:08 AM »
I want to grow Purple Mangosteen in my yard and I'm looking for advice on how to care for the tree like what size container would be good for a seedling for the first few years, type of soil that works well, and etc. Anything will help to give me some knowledge on how to care for this exotic fruit tree.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for advice on growing Purple Mangosteen
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 09:51:03 AM »
I want to grow Purple Mangosteen in my yard and I'm looking for advice on how to care for the tree like what size container would be good for a seedling for the first few years, type of soil that works well, and etc. Anything will help to give me some knowledge on how to care for this exotic fruit tree.

If you are trying to grow it in your yard it's not going to happen. Only chance in CA to realistically grow one to fruiting age would be to grow it in a greenhouse that never gets below around 60 degrees and have a system in place to control humidity. I am in Florida but I have not found the trees difficult to grow as long as the temperature and humidity are kept in check.

Schutzhund

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 12:39:34 PM »
I am planning on having it in a greenhouse

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 02:44:16 PM »
finding a tree that is grafted onto additional rootstock (garcinia tinctoria) seems to be the way to go. very few people (if any)  have been able to get fruit off a tree in the U.S. I want to try too

Schutzhund

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 09:48:07 PM »
I have a Garcinia Intermedia tree I dont know if a Garcinia Mangostana can be grafted onto it

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 07:12:57 AM »
Bryan Brunner has shown mangosteen can be grafted onto a few different types of garcinia.  The problem is that while the graft is successful, the plants did not do well at all.  No harm in trying though...if you have great access to mature scions.  But if your access is limited, then try grafting onto a mangosteen seedling.  Anywhere in the world grafted mangosteens can be found, they are grafted onto mangosteen rootstock.  So there are obviously reasons they do so.  The grafted plants won't necessarily fruit any faster than a seedling plant, but these will be more of a compact plant.  Just my 2 cents.

Here's a video I posted back in 2014 if interested.  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=11453.msg146861#msg146861

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 09:12:03 AM »
Here is some info on grafting mangosteen onto tinctoria. They actually leave the plant on 2 root systems. Would love to give this route a try.

http://fshs.org/proceedings-o/1966-vol-79/399-401%20(CAMPBELL).pdf

Schutzhund

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 10:47:18 AM »
Is it possible to increase the plants root system with certain organic fertilizers in order to help it take more nutrients and in turn grow a little bit faster ?

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 11:37:09 AM »
Is it possible to increase the plants root system with certain organic fertilizers in order to help it take more nutrients and in turn grow a little bit faster ?

Phosphate fertilizers are usually used to encourage root growth of the newly planted tree. However, root development is not everything you still need to have the right soil ph (some minerals wont be available for the plant if the soil ph is high), beneficial organism in soil , etc.
Moh'd

Schutzhund

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 01:04:48 PM »
Thanks

Schutzhund

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 05:06:40 PM »
Do you think that adding rock dust will increase the amount of minerals in the soil for the plant to access and absorb?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 05:24:13 AM »
Try potting soil with earthworm castings. Mangosteen plants really like that. Also you can bypass root feeding by using regular applications of foliar spray. Especially good for adding micro nutrients.
Oscar

Schutzhund

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 01:50:34 PM »
Thanks for the advice, sounds good