Author Topic: President Donald Trump Delays Import Of Argentina Lemons Into US  (Read 2477 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
President Donald Trump delayed implementation of a rule allowing Argentine farmers to export lemons into the US market.   Lemon growers from California had urgently pushed to block the resumption of Argentine lemon  imports.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:35:45 PM by Millet »

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
Re: President Donald Trump Delays Import Of Argentina Lemons Into US
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 06:02:42 PM »
He forgets the main rule of diplomacy, the law of reciprocity. If he blocks the inputs from these country they shall block the exports from USA.

Waiting

• Northern San Joaquin Valley, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 02:59:51 AM »
The ban has been in place for 15 years and was only lifted in December, in the final days of the Obama administration. I suspect the Trump administration will be looking at any and all trade deals, especially last-minute ones made by the outgoing administration.

Cyan

• Valley Center 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 02:20:05 AM »
I wonder how it will affect lemon growers.  Many citrus growers in California are already struggling with the low prices and in our area many orange groves have been left to die, partly its cost of water, but its the metrics of paying all of the costs and getting a high enough price to return even a small profit.

I agree with Sylvain, it is an issue for trade if there isn't a give and take.  Though some crops, like avocados, can also bring in pests, like thrips, which do scar the fruit.  We didn't have those ( I'm told by old time farmers) before fruit came in from certain countries that are not as careful as California has become.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 06:24:40 AM »
The lemons will never make it over the Mexican wall. Citrus growers here are not keen on the Californian citrus that are sometimes imported into Australia.

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 04:29:40 AM »
Well, the wall is not "Mexican"...  ;D

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 04:03:19 PM »
It will be interesting to see if a new approach to imports and trade agreements changes the import and I guess ultimately the export of fruits into and from the US. The Trans Pacific Trade Agreement withdrawal will probably leave china, Japan, Australia, Korea and the rest to consolidate trade with each other.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 03:29:36 PM »
The United States government will now allow imports of Argentine lemons, thus putting an end to the restrictions there have been on citrus marketing since 2001. The agreement was reached during a meeting between Production Minister, Francisco Cabrera, and US Commerce Secretary, Wilbur Ross, as part of Mauricio Macri's visit to Washington