Author Topic: Red Fleshed Nectarines  (Read 2721 times)

vlan1

• Austin, 78748 8b Sunset Zone 30
    • View Profile
Red Fleshed Nectarines
« on: April 30, 2017, 11:03:44 AM »
I was wondering if anyone knew of any varieties that exist that you can actually get and grow in  the US?
I know of the Red Raspberry you can sometimes get from Raintree.

There is a commercial variety from France that sounds amazing called the Nectavigne

But other than these two varieties I can't find much else. 
Also I do know that some of the Zaiger Artic series have some red streaks but thats not quite the same.

Is this just a quality that people don't care about so no one breeds for it?

GardenScientist

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Red Fleshed Nectarines
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 10:39:22 AM »
Both arctic Glo and Indian Free nectarine have red in their flesh similar to that and you should be able to get them here in the US.

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 07:10:38 PM »
I bought sunred or here in AZ at RSI.  Supposedly is delicious.  It is in dwarf rootstock, double grafted with Florida prince peach for pollination

vlan1

• Austin, 78748 8b Sunset Zone 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 03:59:08 PM »
Both arctic Glo and Indian Free nectarine have red in their flesh similar to that and you should be able to get them here in the US.

I mentioned in my original post the Artic series does have some read streaks but again its not the same.

Indian Free is a peach, not a nectarine. Unfortunately 1. I don't like peach fuzz 2. Indian free needs way more chill hours than i get.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 08:47:38 AM »
Anfic used to list two red fleshed nectarines in their resesrch inventory. I asked about them and the man who replied told me they had high acid flesh and had little commercial potential.