Author Topic: Zaiger/Stone Fruit Pollenation Concerns and Questions  (Read 2443 times)

vlan1

• Austin, 78748 8b Sunset Zone 30
    • View Profile
Zaiger/Stone Fruit Pollenation Concerns and Questions
« on: February 07, 2017, 02:27:27 PM »
So I have the itch to plant me some high quality Zaiger interspecific hybrids.
My problem is I only have room for two trees and the want for potentially non compatible varieties.

Specifically I would like a Spicezee Nectaplum and a Pluerry or Peacotum (which doesn't seem to be available this year)

The issue seems to arise from the Pluerry , Peacotum and most pluots need to be pollenized by another plum/pluot or Pluerry.

Does anyone know if the Spicezee would be OK as a pollenator?  Or have any suggestions about solving this game of musical pollenators?

AndyNZ

• Do you have seeds of Mango 'Gomera 1' ?
    • New Zealand, Far North, Zone 10b (frost free)
    • View Profile
Re: Zaiger/Stone Fruit Pollenation Concerns and Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 09:57:08 PM »
Hello,

these are questions for the Dave Wilson Nursery.
Dave Wilson Nursery is the primary propagator and licensor of varieties developed by Zaiger's Inc. Genetics.
http://www.davewilson.com/product-information-general/zaiger-interspecifics
Ask them and post the solutions please.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:00:19 PM by AndyNZ »

GardenScientist

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 08:23:34 AM »
Hi vlan1,

I don't have these but could make a guess. I have not had luck with peach/nectarine pollinating plum or plum hybrids. DWN describes SpiceZee as a nectarine interspecific and if you look at the published patent, the parentage is mostly nectarine/peach. Its physical characteristics seem to be very much nectarine as well (appearance of fruit, seed, flowers, etc., and is self-fertile). My guess is that it would not pollinate a plum or plum hybrid.

Since you have only enough room for the two trees, would it be possible for you to graft another variety onto a branch of the pluerry for pollination? Burgundy is recommended by DWN but other plums or plum hybrids will likely work as well.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 08:37:34 AM »
Another (IMO) easier solution than figuring out SpiceZee pollination potential would be to just graft a Burgundy plum onto the Sweet Treat. Burgundy is a good pollinator for most of the lower chill plums / pluots. Plant the SpiceZee near the Sweet Treat and turn one of the Sweet Treat branches into a Burgundy.

EDIT: Basically what GardenScientist said :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:50:33 AM by starch »
- Mark

vlan1

• Austin, 78748 8b Sunset Zone 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 02:04:02 PM »
I had a spot in the yard open up since my Orange tree got killed by the cold damage so I said the hell with it and have bought the following:

Flavor King Pluot
Dapple Dandy Pluot
Spicezee Nectaplum
and lastly a Nadia CherryxPlum

the spicezee will go in the front yard since it is both an attractive plant and self fertile but the other 3 will go in the backyard so I think I shouldn't have any issues with pollen.
Also got a couple budsticks of Burbank plum I grafted on the Flavor King and if they are successful should definitely increase pollenization chances.

cfinley

• Vista, CA 10a / 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 11:14:09 AM »
It might be too late if you've already planted them, but one thing you can do is plant 2 or 3 pollen compatible trees in 1 big hole, trunks 18-24" apart. It takes a little extra pruning to keep the center clear and prevent any one from dominating and shading out the others, but if you dont mind keeping them small and managable its a good way to plant more varieties when working with limited space.