Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940078 times)

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #2000 on: April 29, 2017, 09:37:10 AM »
My Sugar Dragon has nice flower buds forming and American Beauty as well. I haven't checked the others but I'm guessing my Simons Purple and Halleys Comet probably has some buds as well, I just haven't looked carefully.

Simon

My sugar dragon has a lot of new growth, but no flower buds at all. Should I remove new growth, Simon? What and when you fertilize your tree?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: April 29, 2017, 12:51:38 PM »
I cut back on watering in Winter and early spring and I start to give an ultra bloom type fertilizer around February. If I use an organic 0-10-10, I give it early to allow for it to break down and get to the plants. If using chemical fertilizers, just give it prior to when you expect new growth coming out of winter. If growing in pots, add rock dust in Winter around January or February then cover it with a bit of compost and the vines really take off.

If your plants are fruiting size, don't give it too much Nitrogen. I prune after harvesting fruit and then again in late winter or early Spring if needed.

Simon

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: April 29, 2017, 03:55:39 PM »
I cut back on watering in Winter and early spring and I start to give an ultra bloom type fertilizer around February. If I use an organic 0-10-10, I give it early to allow for it to break down and get to the plants. If using chemical fertilizers, just give it prior to when you expect new growth coming out of winter. If growing in pots, add rock dust in Winter around January or February then cover it with a bit of compost and the vines really take off.

If your plants are fruiting size, don't give it too much Nitrogen. I prune after harvesting fruit and then again in late winter or early Spring if needed.

Simon

I bought my red sugar last November, and it had 1 fruit. I planted it in 30 gallons and give it the grow more 10-52-10 through drip system every other day. Is it too much? I guess I have to look for new ferlizer like the one Simon mentioned

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: April 29, 2017, 05:01:53 PM »
Dragon, 10-52-10 is a type of ultrabloom fertilizer so it should be ok. I've used it with good success.

Simon

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: April 29, 2017, 05:54:20 PM »
Dragon, 10-52-10 is a type of ultrabloom fertilizer so it should be ok. I've used it with good success.

Simon
Thanks, Simon. What about new growth? Should I let it grow or remove it, Simon. I think you have more experience grow dr than I.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: April 29, 2017, 06:36:44 PM »
If your plant is small, I would let it grow out so you can get more fruiting branches later in the year or next year. If your plant is full sized, you can cut them off. Once your DF tree is full sized, trim off about 1/3 of the growth after harvest so that you completely renew the tops every 3 years.

I haven't done much research on DF since about ten years ago so their may have been new data with better production techniques.

Simon

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: April 29, 2017, 06:47:40 PM »
If your plant is small, I would let it grow out so you can get more fruiting branches later in the year or next year. If your plant is full sized, you can cut them off. Once your DF tree is full sized, trim off about 1/3 of the growth after harvest so that you completely renew the tops every 3 years.

I haven't done much research on DF since about ten years ago so their may have been new data with better production techniques.

Simon

Again thanks for your advice, Simon. I will do as you recommended

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: April 30, 2017, 05:08:28 PM »
My Sugar Dragon is the first variety to open its flower.

Simon

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: May 01, 2017, 11:58:47 PM »
My first flower is G2... blooms tonight but I have no pollen to cross pollinate :'(
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: May 02, 2017, 01:00:26 AM »
Simon, unless I'm missing something, that's not a Sugar Dragon flower, or plant, in those pictures. That looks a lot like a Guatemalan variety like G-2 or American Beauty. I will try and get some pictures together of what S-8 "Sugar Dragon" is supposed to look like asap, as I accidentally deleted my picture folder a while ago.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: May 02, 2017, 02:12:25 AM »
Hello RobPatterson, the pictures are a bit deceiving because I have two varieties planted on top of each other. The flowers are Sugar Dragon but the majority of the vines in the pictures are Simons Purple. The Sugar Dragon is much darker(vine color) and the shape is very different. I'll take a picture of the zoomed out plant tomorrow to clear things up.

Simon

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: May 02, 2017, 05:27:56 PM »
Ok, I can see the S-8 branches tucked in there now. Had to zoom in a bit 8). Congrats on the flowers.

khoi1976

• Pinellas Park FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: May 03, 2017, 06:52:09 AM »
How do you stored pollen for future use and how long will they last?

Schutzhund

• United States, Los Angeles, CA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: May 03, 2017, 05:04:02 PM »

You harvest the fresh pollen at night then you let it dry out then store in the freezer. It should last you a couple of months

khoi1976

• Pinellas Park FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: May 03, 2017, 07:07:52 PM »

You harvest the fresh pollen at night then you let it dry out then store in the freezer. It should last you a couple of months

I will give that a shot.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: May 16, 2017, 10:55:06 PM »
Would like to add some varieties of dragon fruit, I believe I have either physical graffiti or American beauty? beautiful dark magenta like flesh and definitely  better than any I have had from local grocery stores.  Those growing DF in South Florida, which are the best producing and sweetest tasting DF readily available down here? Hoping to place 3-4 posts along the side of the house by this fall.

Thanks
Gio

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: May 18, 2017, 01:29:01 AM »
How is this done, or is it just internet trickery? Looks great if space is limited.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: May 18, 2017, 04:05:27 AM »
How is this done, or is it just internet trickery? Looks great if space is limited.

Impossible to grow Dragonfruit in this way. I'm pretty sure this is how they display them for sale at markets, possibly tied onto dragonfruit branches with string or fishing line. Display only.

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: May 18, 2017, 11:09:30 PM »
Thats what I figured. Was slightly hopefully maybe guiding or training the plant as it grows to grow in such a fashion resulted in this. But as fast as mine grows seemed impossible.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #2019 on: May 20, 2017, 11:22:12 AM »

Impossible to grow Dragonfruit in this way. I'm pretty sure this is how they display them for sale at markets, possibly tied onto dragonfruit branches with string or fishing line. Display only.

Yes, this is just an "authentic presentation display."

Decorative marketing purposes with added benefits.

It keeps the fruits aired out and solo-quarantined so they are not stacked on each other in poor presentation without good ventilation and causing bruising, squishing, rotting or spoiling spread of fruits.

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: May 20, 2017, 04:27:27 PM »
Finally got my Dragonfruit in ground (sorta!). Now to just protect it from all this rain we're never going to get.

-Casey

tammykd9

• USA, LA, Prairieville, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: May 22, 2017, 01:22:34 PM »
I am new to growing DF, but I've always loved gardening - I'm in southern Louisiana.  I purchased my cuttings from Spicy Exotics, which is relatively close by, but he was sold out of several cuttings I wanted (Voodoo child - wanted 3 he only had 1, Delight & David Bowie).  Please let me know of any reputable sellers that I could get these cuttings from (would like to purchase approx. 3 of each variety).  I currently have Cosmic Charlie (3 cuttings) & only 1 Voodoo child right now.  My husband has built planters like Tye built on Spicy Exotics site, fairly easy and inexpensive.  Thanks so much for your help!

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: May 22, 2017, 03:19:43 PM »
I am new to growing DF, but I've always loved gardening - I'm in southern Louisiana.  I purchased my cuttings from Spicy Exotics, which is relatively close by, but he was sold out of several cuttings I wanted (Voodoo child - wanted 3 he only had 1, Delight & David Bowie).  Please let me know of any reputable sellers that I could get these cuttings from (would like to purchase approx. 3 of each variety).  I currently have Cosmic Charlie (3 cuttings) & only 1 Voodoo child right now.  My husband has built planters like Tye built on Spicy Exotics site, fairly easy and inexpensive.  Thanks so much for your help!

Pine Island Nursery has all those varieties listed on their website but I've never ordered from them before.
Sergio

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #2023 on: May 22, 2017, 06:01:52 PM »

It is a cut arrangement (like a cut flower arrangement) for gift giving.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #2024 on: May 22, 2017, 06:12:03 PM »
Finally got my Dragonfruit in ground (sorta!). Now to just protect it from all this rain we're never going to get.

Placing the pots on square concrete pavers on the top of the ground should improve drainage.