Author Topic: Passiflora ligularis  (Read 2914 times)

Schutzhund

• United States, Los Angeles, CA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Passiflora ligularis
« on: February 28, 2017, 11:01:03 PM »
I came across this in a fruit market, it's one of the best tasting passion fruits that I have ever tried very sweet and flavorful no acidity at all like other passion fruits. I honestly ate like 6 of these cause of how good they were, just thought I'd share my experience.
I hope that some of you get to try it someday and if you have please share your thoughts and opinions.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Passiflora ligularis
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 01:13:26 AM »
That's cool that you got to try P. ligularis. Was it aromatic? I've never seen them in any international markets near me. Only P. edulis in purple and yellow at the grocery stores. But since I have a greenhouse, I can propagate them. I have had the opportunity to try some candies and juices with its flavoring, but little juice is actually used. Did you keep any seeds to try to grow? Idk if they'd thrive where you are, but why not try. :D
Anisha

Schutzhund

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 01:47:15 AM »
That's cool that you got to try P. ligularis. Was it aromatic? I've never seen them in any international markets near me. Only P. edulis in purple and yellow at the grocery stores. But since I have a greenhouse, I can propagate them. I have had the opportunity to try some candies and juices with its flavoring, but little juice is actually used. Did you keep any seeds to try to grow? Idk if they'd thrive where you are, but why not try. :D
They didn't really have an aroma, but it was very delicious, and I did save a lot of seeds and already planted a few. Fingers crossed that they sprout. They just recently started to appear in fruit markets in the Downtown Los Angeles area

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 01:54:12 AM »
I ate a ton of them in Ecuador. They have a nice sweet flavor and the seeds are crunchy but not as hard as edulis and flavicarpa we have here in the US. The shell is also brittle and you can crack them open instead of sawing into them. I prefer the purple edulis over them but I really enjoy tart fruits. The ligularis lack the complex ultra tropical flavor that I love in a home grown, vine dropped, slightly wrinkled edulis. These are good, don't get me wrong, but the 'Frederick' I had was the best out of the 10 or so different Passiflora I have eaten.
-Josh

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 03:03:57 AM »
I consider Granadilla (ligularis) as best to eat Passiflora, but for some reason I have trouble  to grow them. They grow very slowly comparing to other passifloras and like to die for no reason.

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 09:46:35 AM »
Where in downtown LA did you find them?

Schutzhund

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 10:15:41 AM »
Where in downtown LA did you find them?
The 7th street produce market

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 11:28:38 AM »
It should be also easy to grow it from seeds..

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 12:10:24 PM »
I consider Granadilla (ligularis) as best to eat Passiflora, but for some reason I have trouble  to grow them. They grow very slowly comparing to other passifloras and like to die for no reason.
Hi Radoslav,

Try you use sand mixed with potting soil. I believe they prefer good drainage.
Moh'd

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 02:21:33 PM »
They didn't really have an aroma, but it was very delicious, and I did save a lot of seeds and already planted a few. Fingers crossed that they sprout. They just recently started to appear in fruit markets in the Downtown Los Angeles area
Well as long as they weren't irradiated, I'd think they would sprout. They're fresh, so that's an advantage. For Passifloras with super acidic pulp, I just plant the seeds with the jelly sac around it. The acidity breaks down the hard seed covering.
Anisha

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 05:16:20 PM »
P. ligularis is one of the passion fruit I have always wanted to try, but I have not found them for sale in San Diego.  Good luck germinating the seeds.  I have a few different species of Plassiflora seeds that produce edible fruits that I am attempting to germinate. It has been seven weeks and still no seeds have germinated, even though I have them on a seed germination heat mat and I pretreated with orange juice and let it ferment 48 hours. Some species of Passiflora have been notorious for taking their time to germinate - 3 months or more!
Bob

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 09:29:12 PM »
I have a couple ligularis in my back yard that Barath gave me. They're alive and growing slowly, but definitely not thriving.
Shane

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 11:15:14 PM »
I have a couple ligularis in my back yard that Barath gave me. They're alive and growing slowly, but definitely not thriving.
Just curious what conditions you are growing them in and how long you have had them? I have heard that they are not happy with temperatures over 85F and below 32-35F. My P. mollissima that I have only had for a few months didn't mind the cool winter and is now growing steadily.  P. mollisima is suppose to be a little more hardy than P. ligularis but want similar conditions.  I just have to keep it shaded and cool in summer and hope it takes the heat.
Bob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk