Author Topic: Greenhouse Suggestions  (Read 2662 times)

Schutzhund

• United States, Los Angeles, CA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Greenhouse Suggestions
« on: March 09, 2017, 12:44:04 AM »
I'm currently working on building a small greenhouse that would house my Purple Mangosteen seedling along with other plants. And I was wondering if I can get some suggestions on what to include in the greenhouse that would help.

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
Re: Greenhouse Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 03:01:14 AM »
Hi Schutzhund. It depends on whether it takes to be greenhouse year-round or only seasonal. Seasonal, of course, easier to do and prepare than year-round. Of great importance is the location and specific construction of the greenhouse facility. In short, depending on whether it is from the south or from the north, how high is the greenhouses, whether they are large trees shading if they do not exist - you struggled with different issues. Regards. Dominik
Patience is a gardener's virtue

Schutzhund

• United States, Los Angeles, CA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 10:18:25 AM »
Hi Schutzhund. It depends on whether it takes to be greenhouse year-round or only seasonal. Seasonal, of course, easier to do and prepare than year-round. Of great importance is the location and specific construction of the greenhouse facility. In short, depending on whether it is from the south or from the north, how high is the greenhouses, whether they are large trees shading if they do not exist - you struggled with different issues. Regards. Dominik
I'm thinking year round, it's going to be a small 8 to 9 feet tall greenhouse in the corner of my yard

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 10:38:57 AM »
I bought 6 x 8 Palram, it is very good. it has a roof vent with auto opener. I added a louver vent in the wall with auto opener as well. You can get same size greenhouse for around $250 to $300 from harbor freight using 20% coupon that is always available online. I installed mine over 4x6 pressure treated wood platform, 6" side was vertical, it gave me additional 6" of height. I have automatic misters installed that I control using rachio controller, automatically and manually when I need.

this is probably one of the least expensive way to have a reliable permanent greenhouse.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:41:09 AM by behlgarden »

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 12:11:19 PM »
I agree with the Harbor Freight greenhouses.  For the price they cannot be beat.  I have 3 ten by twelve ft HF greenhouses that I have connected together on their sides removing the side walls.  This makes a very nice large greenhouse.  I started with one, liked it, added another each year.  Each has 4 vents that I automated with Bayliss autovents (don't use HF autovents), good poly double walled panels, aluminum frame.  Went together easily, substantial enough here in the central coast (additional supports are easy to do, if needed for very high winds). The cost is minimal, replacement parts are available (tree limb fall), and it does the job.

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »
Quote from: Schutzhund
I'm thinking year round, it's going to be a small 8 to 9 feet tall greenhouse in the corner of my yard

I assume that it already build and finish soon? So you do not want to buy a ready solution but to do everything yourself? In this case You'll need:
system for maintaining temperature (heating) system when temperature drop down (below +10 celsius). See which type of energy is the cheapest and most convenient for you (usually it is gas or electricity - heating cables etc). Something to maintain humidity (humidifier or open water tank and fountain), ventilation (opening windows, fan, etc.) Optionally, the shading system or big tree near greenhouse (or just shading sheet). Best when everything automate then you can safely go for a few days of vacation :)
Patience is a gardener's virtue

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 02:06:29 PM »
what do you guys fit inside your greenhouse and what is required? mister? heater? vents? I think that's what he is asking

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 03:10:14 PM »
Besides Bayliss Autovents I have shade cloth covering the top on the inside (vents open outward), humidity is fine (coastal CA...fog), and the benches are covered with 110 volt heating cables controlled thermostatically.  Minimum temps barely get below 50 degrees F, but pots are warmer due to cables or simply mass of potting soil.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 03:35:02 PM »
I agree with the Harbor Freight greenhouses.  For the price they cannot be beat.  I have 3 ten by twelve ft HF greenhouses that I have connected together on their sides removing the side walls.  This makes a very nice large greenhouse.  I started with one, liked it, added another each year.  Each has 4 vents that I automated with Bayliss autovents (don't use HF autovents), good poly double walled panels, aluminum frame.  Went together easily, substantial enough here in the central coast (additional supports are easy to do, if needed for very high winds). The cost is minimal, replacement parts are available (tree limb fall), and it does the job.

Where do you see good poly double walled panels and where can you find replacement parts?

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 06:45:04 PM »
4 mm twinwall polycarbonate panels etc. are available from HF for their greenhouse.  UV protection varies from batch to batch and the necessity for UV protection is dependent upon your location. Degradation of the panels from intense sunlight can be a problem.  Shade cloth on top of the roof helps. 

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 09:19:47 AM »
Nexus Zephr, 31' X 37', 10' columns, 18' peak, 2' X 37' roof vent rack and pinion, 4' x 37' south facing (prevailing winds) wall vent drop down guillotine type, iLink controller, Lock 1 HP motors, 6 cooling set points (vents, equipment), 2 heating set points, Melnor fan forced propane heater.  Best of all is the Palram SolarSoft 90 polycarb. on the walls, clear on the north roof, SolarSoft85 on the south roof.  Rootbuilder bottomless pots. 305 gal. rainwater collection system with pump.  First avocado cost me $30,000 but at least I don't have to move my plants in and out and can grow just about anything.   :D 6 mos. of research went into this.  Tropicals need plenty of light.  Beware of twin wall, it shades a bit compared to corrugated.

Misters only work, or better put, you'll work far less and there's no white on your leaves...... if your water source is very soft.  I'm eventually going to go with a high pressure pump, 1,000 psi, driving flash vapor type nozzles with rings around the swamp coolers and hang some in the rafters.  Due to hard well water will have to either install a water softener before a R/O system with tank, filters, etc. or put in a huge rainwater tank.

Clear north roof.

I now have hundreds of pollinators (and a finch) that come and go thru the open vents on flowering mango, avocado, citrus, pitaya, volunteer tomatoes, etc.  For some strange reason flies choose my Gwen avocado.  Have many varieties of bees, flies, moths, butterflies.  You need to provide ample open areas for pollinators to come and go.  They get confused when there's no UV light cause of the covering and won't find their way out.

Man cave!

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:30:37 AM by Mark in Texas »