Author Topic: Years to fruit for Sour Orange?  (Read 2794 times)

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Years to fruit for Sour Orange?
« on: July 31, 2012, 09:58:29 AM »
Hi,

I've been trying to find info online on how many years a seedling Sour Orange takes to fruit, but can't come across any definitive answer. I know it will vary, but mine are about 5-6 years old and they haven't even flowered yet!

We use sour oranges a lot at home for cooking, so it would be great to start getting fruit from the 2 trees I have.

Jaime

Central Floridave

• View Profile
Re: Years to fruit for Sour Orange?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 04:12:40 PM »
Hi, I see no one responded.  I would imagine it takes the same amount of time any other orange tree would take.  Maybe you are fertilizing at the wrong time.  It seems like 5 to 6 years is long enough.  Is it in full sun?  that would make a major difference.

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 04:19:07 PM »
Hi,

Yes, it is in full sun, one is in a pot, the other in the ground. They are fertilized about once a month using 8-3-9 fertilizer. I thought it would have flowered by now, but it hasn't.

Jaime

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 07:51:45 PM »
Hi,

I've been trying to find info online on how many years a seedling Sour Orange takes to fruit, but can't come across any definitive answer. I know it will vary, but mine are about 5-6 years old and they haven't even flowered yet!

We use sour oranges a lot at home for cooking, so it would be great to start getting fruit from the 2 trees I have.

Jaime

The only citrus I have ever fruited from seed was an orange fleshed lime Igrew from seeds that I obtained from a fruit I tried at Excalibur years ago.  It took 10 years for it to bear. Al Will's class notes indicate that Sour Orange is supposed to fruit in 5-7 yars from seed.  It would probably take me 10....but that's just me.  Hopefully you are on the verge with your trees.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 09:47:52 PM »
Thanks, Harry. I'll be on the lookout for flowers in the spring. Chances are I'll graft a different citrus on one of them or maybe create one of those cocktail trees!

Jaime

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 10:01:35 PM »
To encourage citrus to flower, it often helps to have them go through a period of drought stress before the flowering period.  Don't know why it works, but NOT watering in the months prior to flowering generally produces more flowers.  It's okay if the leaves curl a bit.

John
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 10:05:25 PM »
I may try that with potted one. Thanks, John.

Jaime

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 10:53:59 PM »
Thanks, Harry. I'll be on the lookout for flowers in the spring. Chances are I'll graft a different citrus on one of them or maybe create one of those cocktail trees!

Jaime

I don't know if anyone actually follows it, but you are not allowed to graft any citrus in FL.

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 11:06:09 PM »
Well I won't tell if you won't.

Jaime

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk