Author Topic: EAST INDIAN MANGO... Anyone growing this ? Growth habits / Facts  (Read 2733 times)

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
 :D  Need info on this mango, love the taste of it when i ate in Jamaica, very sweet  and spicy if i remember. Never saw the tree before.  I know people here say its very fibrous , which it is . I need info on this and the improved cultivar. Thanks !!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: EAST INDIAN MANGO... Anyone growing this ? Growth habits / Facts
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 07:11:45 PM »
:D  Need info on this mango, love the taste of it when i ate in Jamaica, very sweet  and spicy if i remember. Never saw the tree before.  I know people here say its very fibrous , which it is . I need info on this and the improved cultivar. Thanks !!
The improved cultivar is Lady's Choice ("LC"), I believe.  Since I was so not a fan of EI, I passed on the opportunity to taste LC.  The Cookie Man may be able to assist you further details on this new Zill creation and what is improved about it.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 07:28:01 PM »
At my house, East Indian is a tree which grows more or less at the same rate as Nam Doc mai.  That is to say that it is a moderate grower....easily managed.  The fruits have a strong resinous and sweet taste, but a tremedous amount of fiber.  You have to suck the juice from the fabric....err, fiberous inside.  Jamaicans love it.  I will use it for making clothing when ccotton or synthetic fibers are unavailable.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 08:11:02 PM »
A Jamaican gave me a seed a few weeks ago.  Wrapped in we paper towel now... It after Harry/Fairchild/Colorfield round II, I dunno bought mangoes fulla fiber....Anymore.