Author Topic: Malabar spinach  (Read 2390 times)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Malabar spinach
« on: March 31, 2017, 03:56:39 PM »
Slimy. A taste I don't particularly love. But, healthy to eat. Very pretty as a vine, especially the red-stemmed variety, with green leaves and dark purple berries and delicate pink/white flowers. And very easy to grow, provided you have decent soil and a fair amount of water. And, it constantly reseeds itself.

In the rainy season, the ones I grow from potting soil grow like weeds here. But, I was hoping that quality would transfer to seeds I sowed into the local soil, and that is not at all the case - they are so far sickly, and grow extremely slowly. And as soon as they put out leaves, the damn iguanas eat them, unless I keep them netted all the time. I have a few starting even now in the pots, in the dry season, but they grow slowly and look anemic until they start getting daily water.

I would prefer a less slimy spinach, with a lighter flavor. But, they are good for you, and grow freely half the year, and I enjoy them in small quantities mixed in salad, or like in a wrap or something.

lazdoggy

• SoCal 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Malabar spinach
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 01:36:27 AM »
I like it as a soup, eaten alone or with rice.  Easy and fast to make.

Recipe
James

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 10:05:09 AM »
Tasty and very nutritious.
http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/basella.html
I usually boil them for a vegetable sout (locally called utan) or i eat with some slices of red onion and italian dressing (olive oil + salt + vinegar)
Lorenzo

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 11:07:14 AM »
Slimy. A taste I don't particularly love. But, healthy to eat. Very pretty as a vine, especially the red-stemmed variety, with green leaves and dark purple berries and delicate pink/white flowers. And very easy to grow, provided you have decent soil and a fair amount of water. And, it constantly reseeds itself.

In the rainy season, the ones I grow from potting soil grow like weeds here. But, I was hoping that quality would transfer to seeds I sowed into the local soil, and that is not at all the case - they are so far sickly, and grow extremely slowly. And as soon as they put out leaves, the damn iguanas eat them, unless I keep them netted all the time. I have a few starting even now in the pots, in the dry season, but they grow slowly and look anemic until they start getting daily water.

I would prefer a less slimy spinach, with a lighter flavor. But, they are good for you, and grow freely half the year, and I enjoy them in small quantities mixed in salad, or like in a wrap or something.

mine re-seed every year.
they need warm weather and water. and will grow to get huge.
if they stay in shade the leaves will get larger than your hand.

i like having a mix of green leaves
so i grow chaya, also, tree spinach,
 (Chenepodium gigantea = probably spelled wrong)

roselle (hibiscus) has a good edible leaf when young.
but, Katuk is my fav edible leaf.
Katuk doesnt need to be cooked like Chaya, has a good flavor, is nutritious
and easy to grow.
i had thought i lost my Katuk last winter.
it dipped down to 26F... it looked dead for months
it is finally coming back now. healthy as can be.