Author Topic: Fabric pots are almost as good as growing in ground.  (Read 2048 times)

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
Fabric pots are almost as good as growing in ground.
« on: May 16, 2020, 09:44:14 AM »
Why I am switching to fabric pots and the best growing medium for vegetables and berries. STOP USING STORE BOUGHT POTTING SOIL! https://youtu.be/Q3FFk2O9hIA

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Fabric pots are almost as good as growing in ground.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 06:17:48 AM »
How has this worked out over time? Have you been using this for a year?

Mistozy

• North San Diego County
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 09:04:37 PM »
I got a bunch of plants and trees in fabric pots of various sizes. They're fine for now until I get permanent irrigation put in, just got to water a little more frequently.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 09:33:39 AM »
Alas, I grow trees, and the fabric pots only lasted about 3 years.  Having to repot a tree into a 20 gallon pot almost killed me. The other problem was that the fabric pots had a totally different watering schedule (more frequent) than the plastic pots, so if I didn't keep an eye on the ones in the fabric pots they drooped badly.

Same with making my own potting soil.  Did it for several years, and I have discovered that as me and my bones get older, it is wisest to choose my battles, and mixing potting is not one of them.

On the other hand, the fabric pots ARE great for veggies!  Even did corn in them once!

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 02:10:48 PM »
I have been ordering my potting and planter mix soil from suppliers that sell by the cubic yard and deliver. Way cheaper than buying bags at a garden supply. Could save a lot more if I was willing to mix my own but my bones are getting older too.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 08:25:48 PM »
Fabric pots have increased aeration.
When i go fishing i always keep my earth worms in a fabric bag usually made from an old shirt and the worms are happy  in it.
On the otther side,my friends keep their worms in buckets with a lid that has holes in it and verry offyen their worms die  after a day or 2 then they come to beg me for for worms and il give them a showel to dig for new worms ( even if i have manny,i dont like to share them and to be honest i prefer to release my worms after the fishing trip in a nice semi wet place than to give them to otther fishermans).

Due to the higher oxigenation of the fabric pots ,its logical they are the best .
But the downside is as people mentioned before,that they need more constant watering .

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 09:10:29 PM »
Alas, I grow trees, and the fabric pots only lasted about 3 years.  Having to repot a tree into a 20 gallon pot almost killed me. The other problem was that the fabric pots had a totally different watering schedule (more frequent) than the plastic pots, so if I didn't keep an eye on the ones in the fabric pots they drooped badly.

I agree, repotting from fabric pots is a nightmare, plus the makers of the root pouch that we got were swearing by their "technology" of trapping the root and not allowing it to pierce the pot...well, our cacao was just moved, and a huge finger-sized root got broken off OUTSIDE of the pot....

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 09:21:10 PM »
Why I am switching to fabric pots and the best growing medium for vegetables and berries. STOP USING STORE BOUGHT POTTING SOIL! https://youtu.be/Q3FFk2O9hIA
where do you get those really tall fabric pots  :D