Author Topic: Best mandarin recommendations?  (Read 4367 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Best mandarin recommendations?
« on: April 09, 2017, 10:42:01 PM »
I have a satsuma tree already.  Would like to get a few more trees.  Was thinking gold nugget and maybe dekopon/sumo.  What do the experts say?  Walter anderson had about 8 different types.  Algerian, honey, gold nugget not sure what else.  And there is clausons.  Please I would like suggestions on best mandatins to grow inland san diego.
Brad Spaugh

Badfish8696

• SoCal
    • View Profile
Re: Best mandarin recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 11:25:26 PM »
Gold Nugget, Tango, Pixie, Kishu, and Yosemite Gold are the ones I would recommend. You won't be able to swing Dekopon/Sumo unless you graft your own tree.

DFWCitrus

• SOUTHLAKE, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 12:40:42 AM »
Kishu is a great patio plant, seedless and tasty. For in the ground: Tango, Pixie, Clementine, Gold Nugget, and Jaffa-Suntina are super sweet. Honey is hit or miss and can be very seedy depending on the cultivar. Things like Shasta Gold, Yosemite Gold are similar to Gold Nugget.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 12:23:24 PM »
If what I'm getting from the store now is Tango/W Murcott, I'd recommend that.  I like it better than the Gold Nuggets.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 05:31:46 PM »
I got the gold nugget tree.  Didnt see the other mentioned types.  They had algerian and honey.  Alerians may be a murcott not sure.

They also lured me into a 50$ kona sharwil tree.  Im a sucker for new trees.    :-*
Brad Spaugh

DFWCitrus

• SOUTHLAKE, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 05:41:07 PM »
I left San Diego County just over a year ago. Kishu was often appearing at Home Depot. The very best source for citrus and other fruit trees - big healthy ones - at wholesale pricing is Clausen Nursery in Vista. Link here: http://clausennursery.com/ Call them for inventory update, growers bring them new trees almost every day.

BTW Algerian = Clementine. Warning - Murcotts can be quite seedy.

Larry

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 08:28:18 PM »
I left San Diego County just over a year ago. Kishu was often appearing at Home Depot. The very best source for citrus and other fruit trees - big healthy ones - at wholesale pricing is Clausen Nursery in Vista. Link here: http://clausennursery.com/ Call them for inventory update, growers bring them new trees almost every day.

BTW Algerian = Clementine. Warning - Murcotts can be quite seedy.

Larry

I like clausons its just a bit of a drive for me.  Walter andersons is closer to me but does cost more.  Walters has started carrying a lot of nice varieties of all type of fruit tree. 
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 08:37:32 PM »
I like Gold Nugget and Dekopon very much. Kishu is excellent but very small. If you like a little more acidity, like the supermarket Cuties and Halos, go for Tango. Pixies are good low acid fruit but they lack the rich complexity of GN and Dekopon.

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 11:58:44 PM »
I have a tango, naval orange, key lime, and pink lemon verigated that are all old mature trees.  Just put in the satsuma and gold nuggets.

Went for easter dinner to a friends house maybe 10 miles away and his 30 year old orange trees all have HLB.  The ag department came around and let everyone know they have it but didnt make them take them out or do anything.  That was in lakeside CA, east san diego.  I don't know much about HLB.  If this is going to wipe out all the trees, I guess Im done planting citrus.  Was going to try and put a few more in but will have to read up on HLB.
Brad Spaugh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 12:20:11 AM »
Shasta & GN are in the top of the mandarin chain

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 01:53:09 PM »
Are you sure your friend's trees are infected​ with HLB or do you mean they have Asian citrus psyllids on them?
gregalder.com/yardposts/

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 03:22:02 PM »
I was wondering the same thing.  They definitely has the asian psyllids.  They said they have HLB but they could be confused and not realize the bugs are just what can potentially spread it.  They don't know anything about their trees so not sure.  I was pretty surprised when they told me they have hlb.  Maybe they just have the bugs?  I will aska again.  Apparently all the trees have the bugs in lakeside. 
Brad Spaugh

Waiting

• Northern San Joaquin Valley, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 05:10:45 PM »
I would think the ag department would be doing something if those trees had psyllids or HLB.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 05:25:53 PM »
If they were actually determined to have HLB I think the trees would have quickly been removed.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 05:47:54 PM »
The trees definitely had the bugs, she showed them to me.  She said they left a notice the trees were infected with haunglongbing and the psyllids.  Its possible they don't have HLB.  I don't really know, I am only going by what they told me.  I was shocked when they were telling me this.  I though it was contained to los angeles.  Apparently all the trees in lakside have the asian psyllids.  The AG department came in their backyard when they weren't home and inspected their trees and left them a note.  I will ask again exactly what the note said.
Brad Spaugh