Author Topic: Hmmm, Wife wants a Neelam, what to do?  (Read 7579 times)

jcbk101

• TechTacular
  • More mango please!
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL 33411, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
Hmmm, Wife wants a Neelam, what to do?
« on: August 05, 2012, 07:31:46 PM »
  My wife and I were talking about adding a third and final dwarf tree to the back yard. We have the last bit of space for it but I wanted to get a bit of advice on the taste, disease, size, availability, etc... Thanks in advance!
If you ain't first you're last! "Ricky Bobby"

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Hmmm, Wife wants a Neelam, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 08:48:39 PM »
I have a Neelam mango tree in my yard and it is certainly a small and slow grower. I have had it planted a little over three years and this season will (hopefully...) be the first that I will get fruit from it. It has held a few fruit in prior seasons but its ready so late that the local critters eat them well before you can pick them. This year I tried covering the fruits in plastic clamshell fruit containers and so far so good...Thats the bad thing about the late varietes, birds and animals have time to to figure out they like the taste of mango and really go at it.   

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 09:20:05 PM »
I would go with a Keitt instead, small tree, excellent taste, and a late variety.  Neelam is an average mango, in my unsolicited opinion! I just planted another keitt! Excellent!

jcbk101

• TechTacular
  • More mango please!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 09:29:51 PM »
I would go with a Keitt instead, small tree, excellent taste, and a late variety.  Neelam is an average mango, in my unsolicited opinion! I just planted another keitt! Excellent!
I love the keitt but I swore that mango was a non-dwarf. I don't want a tree over 15 feet in my yard...
All the Keitt trees I have seen have a wildness to their growth pattern and they are not short, compact trees.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 09:36:14 PM »
Oooooops,
My keitt is 15 years old and I keep it a 10 feet tall!  It is not a compact tree, but with tip pruning you can keep it at 10 feet tall easily!  Tip pruning is the way to manage any mango tree.  After picking the last fruits, give them a nice "hair cut".

jcbk101

• TechTacular
  • More mango please!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 09:48:16 PM »
Yes, this is true but my only issue is the location where the tree would be. If I sell my home and move then the tree will start to invade the neighbors yard big time and it would be in their walking area. I don't want that. I guess we will be fine with what we have then. Thank you. Maybe I should move out to loxahatche. There I can grow ANYTHING.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 10:12:58 PM »
Neelam is an excellent flavored Indian mango.  Fruits are small in size but that is the only drawback...so you might have to eat two in one sitting.  They are a classic, sweet desert mango with a very full flavor.  They are one of the latest mangoes, ripening into October in some years but on average mid August (at the earliest) to well into and thru September.  It is a compact grower and can be "shaped" very easily into a "bush tree".  Excalibur has a very good selection of 3, 7 and 15 gallon specimens.

Sent you a PM...click on "My Messages" on the forum toolbar above.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:16:25 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 10:56:04 PM »
I'm not as wild about the flavor of Neelam as Rob is but I do think its worth planting simply for its super-late season, in an effort to continue living in "end -of- mango -season- denial".

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 12:56:43 AM »

Keitt gets huge. It is very upright...tall tree. Not at all dwarf.
Oscar

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 02:06:46 AM »

Keitt gets huge. It is very upright...tall tree. Not at all dwarf.
What you know about Glenn mangos? Tree and fruit wise I mean.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 10:17:12 AM »
I'm not as wild about the flavor of Neelam as Rob is but I do think its worth planting simply for its super-late season, in an effort to continue living in "end -of- mango -season- denial".

Geez! I thought Neelam was a top-notch mango, and now everybody's sayin' it's mediocre? :P  Can't win!  Anyway, time will tell for me cuz mine is growing beautifully.
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 10:51:23 AM »

Geez! I thought Neelam was a top-notch mango, and now everybody's sayin' it's mediocre? :P  Can't win!  Anyway, time will tell for me cuz mine is growing beautifully.
I feel it is top notch, and to throw this out there, I feel Keitt, Kent and Beverly are all mediocre at best.
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 06:06:58 PM »

Mediocre might be harsh....I think its a decent mango. Just not as good as it was perhaps made out to be when it first started getting propagated and promoted down here.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 06:12:06 PM »

If you're looking for those teeny weeny mango trees then i would say Neelam is top notch.  Also it has a very late season which is nice.BTW, I'm having a problem with Neelam right now though with what i'm calling mango russetting for lack of more precise description. It does seem to hinder proper fruit development and ripening.
Oscar

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 07:32:11 PM »
  My wife and I were talking about adding a third and final dwarf tree to the back yard. We have the last bit of space for it but I wanted to get a bit of advice on the taste, disease, size, availability, etc... Thanks in advance!

I'm jealous that your wife takes an interest in your trees! My wife is totally uninterested in my 'weird hobby', and even recently said, out loud: 'I don't really like fruit.' If she wasn't a wonderful woman in all other ways I would be looking for a way out...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 07:42:39 PM »

I'm jealous that your wife takes an interest in your trees! My wife is totally uninterested in my 'weird hobby', and even recently said, out loud: 'I don't really like fruit.' If she wasn't a wonderful woman in all other ways I would be looking for a way out...

HAHA. Doesn't like fruit? Grounds for divorce? My wife says i don't eat enough veggies, but don't think she'll take me to court on that one.  ;)
Oscar

jcbk101

• TechTacular
  • More mango please!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 07:43:04 PM »

hahaha, I think it's because she is from Jamaica that makes her love the fruits. She tells me about fruits I have never ever heard of. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk