Author Topic: I hope this works **sigh**  (Read 7748 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
I hope this works **sigh**
« on: May 05, 2017, 01:58:57 PM »
Today, I noticed a few of my Lychees were starting to blush...unfortunately the birds and squirrels noticed it also...I found a couple of crows flying over the top and picking the lychees ( they aren't close to being ripe) and then this squirrel was running up the tree and taking some also.

I think it was Brad? that suggested the bird away reflective ribbon/tape and this "bird b gone" balloon that's suppose to help...I guess time will tell. I also covered a few of them with the Clam shells, its the only thing that save some lychees for me to eat last year from the critters. I was able to eat about 40% of them, the critters are still the winner, they ate 60%  :'(  >:(.

Wish me luck, I will need it!!

« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 02:15:02 PM by puglvr1 »

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Re: I hope this works **sigh**
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 03:47:37 PM »
Beautiful tree.  I'm going to soon have the same issue in my yard with squirrels...though I wish it were with lychee trees!  Pop a couple of the little bastards and leave their corpses hanging in the tree.  May discourage others and the extra flies will help with pollination!!!  LOL!

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 04:17:58 PM »
We had the best luck with several pieces of reflective tape tied to the tree as well as a rabbit sized have a heart trap. If you go this route be careful not to buy the squirrel sized one because it turns out not to be large enough and the squirrels Escape.

Brad

Gambit

• USA, Florida, St. Pete, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 11:07:04 PM »

You could fabricate something like this. 1/2 in vinyl-coated steel mesh (22 ga or thinner). Keeps the critters out. Last for years (4 and counting). I don't believe in sharing with squirrels and other pests...they always pick the best fruits  :(
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 01:45:35 AM by Gambit »

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 12:00:05 AM »
That looks like the best design I've seen so far...
May take some cost/labor to fashion it, but seems strong enough to withstand the onslaught of those squirrels...; another arsenal in my pocket, thanks for sharing it...!

Edit: removed double photo posting
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 12:01:43 AM by Samu »
Sam

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 12:14:20 AM »
That looks like the best design I've seen so far...
May take some cost/labor to fashion it, but seems strong enough to withstand the onslaught of those squirrels...; another arsenal in my pocket, thanks for sharing it...!

Edit: removed double photo posting

Here's another view of a cage Gambit made. If you get the mesh from Amazon in large rolls, it is more cost effective. You just need to check the sizes carefully to get the best deal.

Dee (I can haz a) Mango

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 08:00:42 AM »
Great Looking Trees Pugs ! .

The new owners are going to inherit a fantastic grove! , I hope the new owners of my old house in St Augustine are taking care of all the Fruit trees and Plumeria I had to leave behind .😔

Ed
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:57:26 PM by edzone9 »
Zone 10

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 09:42:16 AM »
I think it was Brad? that suggested the bird away reflective ribbon/tape and this "bird b gone" balloon that's suppose to help...

Worthless.  Been there done that.  The only way to save any fruit is via exclusion - netting.  There is a spray that's made up of Concord grape tissue that many swear by. Some commercial vineyards use it.  Ask for a free sample.  I did. http://www.bird-x.com/bird-stop-products-41.php?page_id=66

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 09:52:37 AM »
How about bird netting? Not expensive at Amazon. Brush trunk with old motor oil to keep squirrels from climbing up trunk. People use this on poles their bird feeders are mounted on...slippery squirrel videos on you tube.

Maybe wrap trunk in aluminum foil or plastic with tape and twine then apply the old motor oil to it..maybe it is toxic to tree if applies directly to bark.

Maybe loosely wrap lychee trunk in large black plastic garbage bag..... can a squirrel get a grip on that flapping around in the breeze? I don't think so.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 10:03:00 AM »
Unless you could have the netting supported well above the canopy of the tree, birds could still land nail the fruit through the netting.

I sure would not be applying and motor oil, new or used, to any part of any of my fruit trees.

Best protectors, as has been discussed in other posts, are the ultrasonic noise makers.  They make them for burds and rodents.  I know a commercial lychee and longan  grower and they say that has been the best form of protection for their crops they have tried.
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 10:05:48 AM »
How about bird netting? Not expensive at Amazon. Brush trunk with old motor oil to keep squirrels from climbing up trunk. People use this on poles their bird feeders are mounted on...slippery squirrel videos on you tube.

Maybe wrap trunk in aluminum foil or plastic with tape and twine then apply the old motor oil to it..maybe it is toxic to tree if applies directly to bark.

Maybe loosely wrap lychee trunk in large black plastic garbage bag..... can a squirrel get a grip on that flapping around in the breeze? I don't think so.

I buy, install, tie, take off, 17' wide bird netting with 3/4" holes on the vineyard.  Birds communicate and when things get tasty they'll strip a tree or a vineyard in a day or two.  They also will hop from fruit to fruit or grape cluster pecking them to see if they're ripe.  Can you say DISEASE? I knew you could.  ;)  I start getting bird pressure once the brix hits around 16*.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 10:06:49 AM »

I heard that playing For Those About To Rock (We Salute You) by AC/DC will keep birds, grasshoppers and squirrels away. Must be played looped and at full volume.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 10:08:35 AM by zands »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 10:11:31 AM »
Unless you could have the netting supported well above the canopy of the tree, birds could still land nail the fruit through the netting.

True.  In the case of a vineyard or most fruit trees the thick canopy holds the netting away from the fruit zone.  Raccoons will hang on the netting, swing themselves into the fruit zone and with their grimey little hands........

Best protectors, as has been discussed in other posts, are the ultrasonic noise makers.

There are some species that are not affected by them.  The protector has to be carefully chosen for the bird specie.  Cannons work but I doubt if your HOA or neighbor would be too thrilled.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 02:24:37 PM »
For squirrels you can wrap thing sheet metal around the trunk and they cant climb up it.  And start shooting them as suggested.
Brad Spaugh

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 03:30:04 PM »
Thanks ALL!!

Jay, that's a good idea...I just can't seem to shoot anything and my luck my neighbors will call the cops on me  ;)

I actually bought a bird net 2 years ago and it didn't work...all it did was catch on everything!! Every lychee, every leaf and every branch Lol...it was a mess and when it was time to take down it broke SO many of my branches...it was a total mess and I swore I wouldn't use one again!! Thanks you so much for your very kind offer, truly appreciate it!!

Gambit, LOVE that idea...unfortunately I would need about  100 of them for all my mangoes and it would not be cost effective for me plus my hubby wouldn't be able to make that many, but it is the best one I've see so far!! It looks very durable...maybe I can find some wire like that isn't SO hard to work with and bends easier?  Thanks for sharing!

Stan my squirrels literally FLY from one tree to another here!! I'm surrounded by Florida Oaks, all my neighbors have then in the yard and there's where they live!   I've seen them jump pretty high and my trunks are all pretty short so sadly that won't work in my yard...good idea though...

Appreciate all your help and advise...keep it coming! There has to be something out there that will work Lol...

Nancy

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 07:19:34 AM »

I sure would not be applying and motor oil, new or used, to any part of any of my fruit trees.

Best protectors, as has been discussed in other posts, are the ultrasonic noise makers.  They make them for burds and rodents.  I know a commercial lychee and longan  grower and they say that has been the best form of protection for their crops they have tried.
Agreed. Motor oil is not something you want to put on your trees or have dripping around your fruit trees.The sheet metal is a much better idea. Widely used here on coconuts and avocados to keep rats from climbing them.
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 11:07:41 AM »
Thanks ALL!!
Nancy

My thinkolator sez....
How about dissolve lots of powdered dried hot pepper in veg oil....... Thailand ones are very hot you just need to grind them in a Krupps type coffee and spice mill and sift and repeat. Grinding best done outside so you do not inhale the hot pepper powder.
Pour the hot pepper powder into a cup or two of vegetable oil and let sit in the sun for two days. Covered of course. Then dip lychees in them. Rain might wash it off.

Quick and dirty way is to use just one cup veg oil and only dip 20-30-40 lychees as an experiment. You can also brush oil onto lychees with small paint brush

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 11:55:28 AM »

Phew Zands, that sounds like way too much work for me, I'm not sure I'm up for that Lol...but I do appreciate the suggestions  :D...with my luck my Pug will eat it accidentally  :o

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 11:59:48 AM »

Phew Zands, that sounds like way too much work for me, I'm not sure I'm up for that Lol...but I do appreciate the suggestions  :D...with my luck my Pug will eat it accidentally  :o

Or better yet, you would breathe in the fumes and burn your lungs or have it effect you in a negative/burning way when concocting.

I have no idea why people try so hard to recreate the wheel...
- Rob

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 09:36:19 AM »
The bird deterrent worked like a charm  :D...I haven't seen a single bird of any kind near or in the tree. The squirrels on the other hand well that's a different story  :'(. I picked about 40% of what the squirrels left me (ones that didn't get covered up with the produce ''clam shell''), though they weren't at their peak they were pretty good. Better than any I've had from the stores. The ones I left on the tree to fully ripen are the ones that are still protected with clam shells, I'll be picking them in maybe a week at the most...

So in my own experience it keep the birds away...which was part of the problem I was having. The reflective silver tape (ribbons) I hung on the tree really scared the birds. Wish they had something similar for the tree rats!!!

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 10:54:52 AM »
Very nice. I didn't get any flowers this year from my lychees. Lots of nice flushes of new leaves, especially from the big one I pruned but no flowers :(I think it was the lack of cold weather and drought.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 02:17:46 PM »
Glad to see that your clam shell device works for your birds and squirrels protection.
I imagine you must have spent quite a few bucks for those many fruits in clam shells due to your bigger and bigger tree size.  :)

I wonder if those clam shells can withstand the assault of the voracious squirrels if the tree has no more unprotected fruits available for them to choose from... Please update, if I settle for this clam shell device for my fruit protections, or if should fashion my own  -like the ones "Gambit" made above...-  Thanks, Pug!
Sam

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 03:07:17 PM »
Thanks Tropheus and Samu  :)

Trop, Sorry to hear that your lychee tree didn't bloom this year... with all the new growth you had hopefully when it blooms next year will mean more lychees for you.  It's really strange even in my neighborhood I have a neighbor across the street that has a lychee tree and it didn't bloom either. Very few people here grow them...but at least 3 of the trees I know of none of them bloomed except mine. They all have Brewster and mine is Mauritius ( not sure if that is the difference)? Though there is a small Brewster orchard about 9 miles from me  that has lychees for sale every year since I moved here in (2006)...no idea what the difference is...we all have about the same amount of chilling hours.

Samu, I've been saving the clam shells for about 4 years now, even a couple of my friends and neighbors have been saving them for me for ( free mangoes) Lol...I was also able to purchase about 30 of them from a local Fruit Stand vendor that sold me some of his excess ones ( strawberry size) for about 3/$1.

Sorry to report they are NOT squirrel proof but they do save about half of them...it keeps them from destroying most all of my fruits...let's just say it "slows'' them down a little. Cheapest way for me to keep them protected with very little work.

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 06:52:07 PM »
My lychee did not bloom either ........ you tube squirrel launcher and then please post video's of your squirrels as they fly into your least favorite neighbors yard. 

What makes me mad is they just eat 20% of a mango and then go get another one ...... if they ate the whole thing I might not mind that much

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 11:56:45 AM »
"What makes me mad is they just eat 20% of a mango and then go get another one ...... if they ate the whole thing I might not mind that much"

Jgrow, I couldn't agree with you more, UGH!!! They make me so mad!! They do the same thing here with all my fruits, doesn't make any difference...I see several fruits on the ground partially eaten each with small bites, claw marks and pieces chewed off. Its like they are doing a "taste test or testing for ripeness", then saying "next" this one is not good! Very frustrating and irritating!!!!