Author Topic: Room for 1 more avocado tree  (Read 5866 times)

Mftek

• Socal
    • View Profile
Room for 1 more avocado tree
« on: May 16, 2017, 05:52:18 PM »
Hey guys.. I already have a Reed avocado planted in ground.
I was hoping to add another avocado variety.

Which would you guys recommend?
Been looking at getting either a hass, lamb hass, sir prize, gem or fuerte

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
Re: Room for 1 more avocado tree
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 06:19:58 PM »
i wouldn't do fuerte the thin skin annoys the hell out of me.... taste pretty good tho I can't comment about the others

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 06:47:58 PM »

Day 🥑 Taste So Good !

Ed
Zone 10

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 07:10:35 PM »

Day 🥑 Taste So Good !
Ed

When is Day ripe in South Florida? I had one but it just would not grow. It was planted in a spot where another fruit tree failed >:(  Bad luck, bad juju spot I suppose. The Sri Lankan weevils also liked the trees there a few years ago when the Sri Lankan weevils were bad all over I think. I know they were for me. I have not seen these evil little bastards for a few years.
http://charlotte.ifas.ufl.edu/horticulture/newsarticles/SriLankaWeevil.pdf

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 08:37:55 PM »
Zands I bought this tree from Zills last October as a 15 Gal , Had about 7 Fruits , The taste sooo Sweet and Nuty ! ..

Can't wait for it I Fruit again ! .

Ps For trees that have difficulty growing try buring an Orogone device by the tree, She should perk up swiftly, I have them buried all over my Proper, it's old Wiham Reich Technically 😊

Ed
Zone 10

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 08:46:46 PM »
Zands I bought this tree from Zills last October as a 15 Gal , Had about 7 Fruits , The taste sooo Sweet and Nuty ! ..

Can't wait for it I Fruit again ! .

Ps For trees that have difficulty growing try buring an Orogone device by the tree, She should perk up swiftly, I have them buried all over my Proper, it's old Wiham Reich Technically 😊
Ed

What kind of orgone device? Homemade I hope. Involving copper tubing? Can you point me to where I can see it on the internet. I know about Wilhelm Reich

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 08:54:50 PM »
Yes I'm making my own very easy !
All you need is to layer the following ingredients:

Copper,Brasd,Or Iron oxide fine powder .
Course Crystal Sand
1- Double terminated Crystal Wrapped In. COOPER Coil
Then pour Resin and let it set !

Quantum Free Energy !
I test mine by placing my Orogone Device in the freezer above a cup of frozen water, in a few hours you will see a vortex form within the cup of semi frozen water ! Very cool !
These are Orogone Devices Many many uses !

I made this one it's called a cloud buster :

Check out this cool Ice Sphere Ice Formation after placing my home made Orogone device on top of the cup .
The cup without the Orogone device did Not form a Vortex

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:03:12 PM by edzone9 »
Zone 10

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 09:04:10 PM »

Course Crystal Sand

Quantum Free Energy !
I test mine by placing my Orogone Device in the freezer above a cup of frozen water, in a few hours you will see a vortex form within the cup of semi frozen water ! Very cool !

Thanks I will into this some more. What do you mean by resin? I see some on internet making orgone devices that look similar to your with one ingredient being aluminum shavings. Aluminum is a no-no in my book!

Ebay has some for sale though you and others make their own

Off the top of my head I think hammering a copper pipe into the ground next to a fruit tree will help it. Next time at Lowes or HD I am going to check out copper pipe prices though I have some coiled copper tubing in the garage I might use
! No longer available

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 09:06:35 PM »
I don't use Aluminum..

I only use Copper, Brass or Iron Oxide n my Orogone.

Here's some info

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nwxKB9IY3Js
Zone 10

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 09:07:55 PM »

Course Crystal Sand

Quantum Free Energy !

Thanks I will into this some more. What do you mean by resin? I see some on internet making orgone devices that look similar to your with one ingredient being aluminum shavings. Aluminum is a no-no in my book!

Off the top of my head I think hammering a copper pipe into the ground next to a fruit tree will help it. Next time at Lowes or HD I am going to check out copper pipe prices though I have some coiled copper tubing in the garage I might use
! No longer available

Resin binds all the indigents together ..
They see it in HD Famowood Resin
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Famowood-Glaze-Coat-32-oz-Gloss-Oil-Based-Lacquer/3151089
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:13:27 PM by edzone9 »
Zone 10

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 10:15:26 PM »

I would go with sir prize or lamb hass.  I cant remember when those ripen but I would try and get a winter/spring variety since reed is summer/fall.  I think you will get good fruit set on those even though they will finish flowering before reed. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:21:42 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 10:20:08 PM »
Sir Prize is the earliest, I would go with that.  Sir prize and lamb has are both upright trees too.  You can probably fit 2 in the space one fuerte will want to take.  The fuerte tree is a large spreading tree.
Brad Spaugh

Mftek

• Socal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 01:05:21 AM »
Thank you!! I checked my local HD and lowes with no luck. Time to call some local nurseries

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 11:45:58 PM »
I grow all of those in my yard except for GEM. To complement a Reed, I would go with Hass. I'm in San Diego County, and between my Reed and Hass I can eat good avocados the entire year.

Why not Lamb Hass? Because it's season is almost the same as Reed.

Why not Fuerte? Because it isn't as productive as Hass in my yard, and I know this is common for many other people too, even though the fruit is my favorite of all the avocados I've tasted.

Why not Sir-Prize? Because like the Fuerte, it isn't as productive as the Hass in my yard.

Hope this gives you some ideas for your yard.

Greg
gregalder.com/yardposts/

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 04:08:39 PM »
I grow all of those in my yard except for GEM. To complement a Reed, I would go with Hass. I'm in San Diego County, and between my Reed and Hass I can eat good avocados the entire year.

Why not Fuerte? Because it isn't as productive as Hass in my yard, and I know this is common for many other people too, even though the fruit is my favorite of all the avocados I've tasted.

Why not Sir-Prize? Because like the Fuerte, it isn't as productive as the Hass in my yard.

Greg

Greg, what all types of avocados and other fruits do you grow?  Are you on the west side of ramona?  I would be interested in seeing your garden if you would ever want to have visitors.  My family and I are off 67 and scripps poway parkway.  You are welcome to poke around here if you ever wanted also.  My garden is still pretty young though.  We have been here only 3 years.
Brad Spaugh

Mftek

• Socal
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 06:02:59 PM »

Greg
Thank very much for the recommendation!
I had narrowed it down to hass and sir prize. I was hoping that since the sir prize is a B type variety that it would give off a better crop having both A and B types.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to probably end up picking up a hass then.
Thanks

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 07:10:41 PM »

Greg
Thank very much for the recommendation!
I had narrowed it down to hass and sir prize. I was hoping that since the sir prize is a B type variety that it would give off a better crop having both A and B types.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to probably end up picking up a hass then.
Thanks

What town do you live in?  Probably not much extra polination with reed, they bloom after all the others at least at my house.  Maybe you should just get 2 more trees, thats what I would do. :)
Brad Spaugh

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 12:54:18 AM »
Spaugh:
Yeah, I'm on the west side of Ramona. Close to Highland Valley Road. I'd love to visit your yard and have you visit mine. I've only been here for almost four years. Similar to you. So, my four-year-old avocados are Reed, Lamb, Hass, Fuerte, Sir-Prize. And then I have some younger ones that have yet to produce: Pinkerton, Holiday, Sharwil.

A lot of my other trees are young too, but I have in the ground: a handful of citrus, a couple apples, apricot, pluots, nectaplum, fig, pomegranate, macadamias, persimmon, mango.

It's not a special yard yet, but I'm working on it.
gregalder.com/yardposts/

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 01:14:42 AM »
Spaugh:
Yeah, I'm on the west side of Ramona. Close to Highland Valley Road. I'd love to visit your yard and have you visit mine. I've only been here for almost four years. Similar to you. So, my four-year-old avocados are Reed, Lamb, Hass, Fuerte, Sir-Prize. And then I have some younger ones that have yet to produce: Pinkerton, Holiday, Sharwil.

A lot of my other trees are young too, but I have in the ground: a handful of citrus, a couple apples, apricot, pluots, nectaplum, fig, pomegranate, macadamias, persimmon, mango.

pics?

rockman

• Orange, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 01:21:44 AM »
How about Carmen Hass?  Suppose to fruit year round.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 11:00:55 AM »
What town do you live in?  Probably not much extra polination with reed, they bloom after all the others at least at my house.  Maybe you should just get 2 more trees, thats what I would do. :)

Reed is the last one for me too, but it also self pollinates.  Don't know about SoCal but here in Texas an avocado tree will crossover and have both A and B for several hours of the day.  Here's an example:

Ardith was late too and bloomed at the same time as Reed.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 11:07:51 AM »
Hass for their consistency and they hang on the tree forever.....where are you going to find a cado this time of the year in SoCal? JB? Yea, good luck after 8 years by 10 years hass will give you fruit every month

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 11:49:21 AM »
Spaugh:

Cool I will send you a message with my info.  I live in sycamore canyon.  You have to take 67 to poway rd to get here.  Its a little round about.
Brad Spaugh

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 10:55:29 AM »

Course Crystal Sand

Quantum Free Energy !

! No longer available

Here's a better look at the Vortex in the ice water, I enjected Food coloring just to see it better .
Pretty cool !

Zone 10

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 12:07:05 PM »

my vote would be for jan boyce, sharwil, pinkerton, or sir prise.

why not make a cocktail of all these? then you can have several varieties? I have cocktail that currently is holding lamb hass, sir prise, jan boyce, cuban, daleys 11, shawril, pinkerton, hansen, couple others that I lost track of.