Author Topic: Fruit Punch mango - OMG!  (Read 10650 times)

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Fruit Punch mango - OMG!
« on: July 17, 2014, 06:51:06 PM »
Many know I am a huge believer that Florida mangoes are the best in the world.  I now fly down from Ohio every year for their peak season.  This year I was able to not only enjoy some of the conference, but attend the mango festival as well...sort of the crown to feasting on mangoes.

Rob was kind enough to obtain a bunch of Walter's best selections of mangoes and pass them on to Sheehan to distribute to a few of us.  My wife and I have been slowly working our way thru the 30+lbs of mangoes I flew home with.  Tonight, the Fruit Punch mango was cut and on the table.  The smell alone was incredible.  The first bite was enough to make you understand how it was named.  Fruit Punch.  Lots of flavor profiles.  Sweet.  Unbelievable.  It was like having your favorite brand of Kool-Aid in mango form.  Drinking Crystal Lite afterwards found the taste bland. 

We made the mistake of trying a Hatcher mango next.  A good mango by all rights.  Bland in comparison.  So to say I'm a Fruit Punch mango fan would be an understatement.  A damn fine mango friends.  I gave this mango a 9.5 on the small chance that one of the remaining varieties could match or surpass.  Rob...thanks.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit Punch mango - OMG!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 11:28:21 PM »
Glad you are enjoying,  especially the Fruit Punch.   That has been a favorite in my household (especially with my wife) and with Walter this year, along with Coconut Cream and Taralay.   Let me know what uou think of those in comparison to the Fruit Punch.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 11:32:10 PM »
is Fruit Punch polyembryonic?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 12:42:19 AM »
is Fruit Punch polyembryonic?

I haven't seen any seedlings but from all the seeds that I have seen opened,  they are mono.
- Rob

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 07:28:32 AM »
The CC and Taralay are up soon.  I've not tried most of the ones you obtained so it has certainly been cool to finally get to try these.   All of the ones we've eaten so far have been great and just no comparison to even the best we've been able to get locally from Whole Foods and such.  But that first bite of Fruit Punch was like "Oh shit...we've got something here!".  LOL! 

We are taking notes on each one we eat and rating them.  My wife and I have been pretty even on our ratings so far.  My dogs?  They love mangoes already, but...and I'm not bullshitting here...after that first taste of one of the mangoes I brought home, they go effing apeshit when we start cutting a new one open!  They will dance and cry at the table waiting for a bite!  They now know what a really good mango tastes like and will probably turn their nose up to store bought mangoes in the future.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 07:50:23 AM »
The CC and Taralay are up soon.  I've not tried most of the ones you obtained so it has certainly been cool to finally get to try these.   All of the ones we've eaten so far have been great and just no comparison to even the best we've been able to get locally from Whole Foods and such.  But that first bite of Fruit Punch was like "Oh shit...we've got something here!".  LOL! 

We are taking notes on each one we eat and rating them.  My wife and I have been pretty even on our ratings so far.  My dogs?  They love mangoes already, but...and I'm not bullshitting here...after that first taste of one of the mangoes I brought home, they go effing apeshit when we start cutting a new one open!  They will dance and cry at the table waiting for a bite!  They now know what a really good mango tastes like and will probably turn their nose up to store bought mangoes in the future.

My three puppymill rescues love mango, sugar apple, jackfruit too, only home grown & no store bought stuff; its funny how dogs have gourmet taste too! ;D
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 07:57:33 AM »

My three puppymill rescues love mango, sugar apple, jackfruit too, only home grown & no store bought stuff; its funny how dogs have gourmet taste too! ;D

Well, their sense of smell is like 40,000 times better than a human's.  They say dogs can even taste water!
John

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 09:03:42 AM »
I was at Zills and got to taste a ripe Fruit Punch,  Jucie Peach, Coconut Cream and a lot more. The flavor of these fruits is amazing.

Mike

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 09:28:44 AM »
Got to taste Juicy Peach and Peach Cobbler the last couple days.  Both were excellent, but, (based on a sample of one each),   I think Peach Cobbler is especially delicious.

Fruit Punch tastes even better this year than when I got a taste a year or two ago.

http://youtu.be/GeisCvjwBMo

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 11:11:03 AM »
"Oh shit...we've got something here!".

Yeah, that's how I felt after trying it.  It's on my short list.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:12:53 AM by Sleepdoc »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 11:29:22 AM »
I wholeheartedly agree.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 10:20:29 PM »
Fruit Punch is an Awesome Mango, it's on my top 5 list. It's Sweet but also complex with excellent acid balance in a non tart kind of way. The sweetness was very deep but perfectly balanced with just the right amount of acidity to make it Not just a sweet mango. It tastes like a sweeter more complex Kent on steroids and although I was not screaming fruit punch flavor, I could definitely taste why they named it fruit punch.
Simon

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 10:52:39 PM »
Fruit Punch is an Awesome Mango, it's on my top 5 list. It's Sweet but also complex with excellent acid balance in a non tart kind of way. The sweetness was very deep but perfectly balanced with just the right amount of acidity to make it Not just a sweet mango. It tastes like a sweeter more complex Kent on steroids and although I was not screaming fruit punch flavor, I could definitely taste why they named it fruit punch.
Simon

Fruit Punch was also in my list of top 5 mangos tried today!  Really sweet and fruity.
Warren

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 12:31:09 AM »
BSBullie and Mangomandan,

Can you guys please help this poor rookie out here, I have scored quite few mango trees in the last year but have seemed to reach my limit...I have one space available left....after that its clearing out fruit trees that no longer can stand up to the great new creations Mr. Zill is putting out every couple of years....

The last spot was going to be reserved for Peach Cobbler....The wife Already Ok'ed it for my B-day Present...But now the latest rave is this Fruit Punch creation...Can you to experts tell me which way to go on this one....Something tells me I should wait 2 more years when Mr. Zill releases Jolly Rancher and Orange starburst (pure speculation).
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 01:16:08 AM »
Clay - I would go with Peach Cobbler.   As good as Fruit Punch is and I would highly recommend it IF it were available,   it is not available now and most likely wont be available in the retail market till 2016 (assuming they do propagate and release it). 
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 01:25:32 AM »
BSBullie and Mangomandan,

Can you guys please help this poor rookie out here, I have scored quite few mango trees in the last year but have seemed to reach my limit...I have one space available left....after that its clearing out fruit trees that no longer can stand up to the great new creations Mr. Zill is putting out every couple of years....

The last spot was going to be reserved for Peach Cobbler....The wife Already Ok'ed it for my B-day Present...But now the latest rave is this Fruit Punch creation...Can you to experts tell me which way to go on this one....Something tells me I should wait 2 more years when Mr. Zill releases Jolly Rancher and Orange starburst (pure speculation).
I have no idea, as i've never had either. But just keep in mind that what tastes and does well in S. Florida is not necessarily going to grow well or taste great in S. California. If in your shoes i'd go with what is tried and true for your area.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 01:30:32 AM »
To take Oscar's statement one step further,  the same varieties of mangoes that grow in the sugar sand of the Boynton Beach ridge taste much better and more intense than those same varieties grown 10 miles west in hard packed sand in a wetter climate.
- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 08:31:13 AM »
Clay, I'm going to agree with Rob and disagree with Oscar.

I have seen only two Peach Cobbler fruits, and tasted only one, but that one was definitely in the OMG category for flavor. Visually, they were smallish and not pretty -- qualities that can work to the advantage of a mango enthusiast.

You already have a fine collection, and seem willing to experiment with "Florida" mangos. 

I have no idea what is "tried and true" in your growing conditions. I suspect that data set is limited at best.  Plant the Peach Cobbler and in a few years you can share your experience with other California growers.

By the time Fruit Punch is available (if ever), you may have decided that one of your other cultivars is not pulling its weight under your growing conditions.

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 09:15:29 AM »
Rob...please describe the "sugar sand" conditions in a little more detail if you would.  Can't be all sand can it?  thanks

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 01:42:29 PM »
Thanks to Sheehan for bringing some of these to the festival last weekend , and to Omar for letting me abscond home with it. The fruit punch was tried by 6 people who all rated it hands down a wonderful mango, sweet and great texture. Having also tried the lemon zest and Gary left me drop jawed, sticky, and thankfull. never knew Mango's could be so good.

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 01:55:07 PM »
What characteristics has the Fruit Punch tree shown?  30 foot goliath, or semi-dwarf?  Disease resistant?  Squirrel proof??  Etc. . .

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 05:13:05 PM »
Clay, I'm going to agree with Rob and disagree with Oscar.

I have seen only two Peach Cobbler fruits, and tasted only one, but that one was definitely in the OMG category for flavor. Visually, they were smallish and not pretty -- qualities that can work to the advantage of a mango enthusiast.

You already have a fine collection, and seem willing to experiment with "Florida" mangos. 

I have no idea what is "tried and true" in your growing conditions. I suspect that data set is limited at best.  Plant the Peach Cobbler and in a few years you can share your experience with other California growers.

By the time Fruit Punch is available (if ever), you may have decided that one of your other cultivars is not pulling its weight under your growing conditions.
I like to experiment myself with Florida mango cultivars, and have planted lots of them. But doing so when you have several acres to deal with is very different situation than when you have a small back yard. The smaller your yard the bigger the risk when you are just experimenting with varieties that are not proven to do well in your area.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 05:38:30 PM »
Clay - I would go with Peach Cobbler.   As good as Fruit Punch is and I would highly recommend it IF it were available,   it is not available now and most likely wont be available in the retail market till 2016 (assuming they do propagate and release it).

lol...it's funny how fast word spreads with this forum..I've heard the local nursery near me has already got a request for this one.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2020, 01:33:21 PM »
What characteristics has the Fruit Punch tree shown?  30 foot goliath, or semi-dwarf?  Disease resistant?  Squirrel proof??  Etc. . .

Bumping this old thread and these questions.  I'd like to know growth habit, productivity / precociousness, disease resistance for Fruit Punch relative to Sunrise.  Any info is helpful!