Author Topic: Molix or Morena  (Read 5380 times)

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Molix or Morena
« on: May 19, 2017, 10:12:24 AM »
I want to add another sapodillas to my collection beside makok and alano. I know I will buy Haysa, but don't know should I choose Morena or Molix. Please give me some ideas about their flavor, fruit production and fruit size. I like big, sweet and no grit for sapodillas. So which variety should I buy since I never taste those varieties.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Molix or Morena
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:57:30 AM »
Morena.  Flavor is excellent and different of that of alano and makok.  Its very sweet and very low stone cell count. Flesh color has a lighter reddish tinge...you can do a search on the forum as their have been many posts on saps.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:11:09 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 11:12:32 AM »
Morena is an excellent large size sap much better than Hasya in production....I've had 10 fruits on my Hasya in 6 years

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 06:06:46 PM »
I think I going to buy morena base on  bsbullie and JF inputs. Thanks bsbullie and JF !

JF, you seem not to have much luck with haysa since everyone praise about haysa beside alano. Does Anyone have bad luck with haysa like JF. After hearing JF had 10 fruits in 6 years really make me having second thought about buying haysa.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 06:50:42 PM »
I have a haysa that is pushing 8' in the ground. I have eaten 3 fruit this year and 1 on the counter.
There is about 5 small ones on the tree and it is flowering. We didn't have much winter the past 2 years
and the sapodilla seem to be everbearing. I put the haysa in the ground 3 years ago from a 3 gallon. I wasn't
real impressed with the taste until the last one. Very sweet. I have 9 trees so if the haysa needs a pollinator
it is taken care of.  I am glad I got it and can't wait to get more fruit.
Mike

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 08:57:31 PM »
 the flavor and growing conditions being totally different there will render a Florida perspective virtually useless. Better off listening to people in your own area for more accurate advice. Florida is like a different World!  like comparing our Avocado varieties to yours, pure craziness! lol

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 09:45:18 AM »
I think I going to buy morena base on  bsbullie and JF inputs. Thanks bsbullie and JF !

JF, you seem not to have much luck with haysa since everyone praise about haysa beside alano. Does Anyone have bad luck with haysa like JF. After hearing JF had 10 fruits in 6 years really make me having second thought about buying haysa.

It's not only me do a search you'll read about the issues with Haysa from posters from both coast. Trees grows fast and continually flowers it just doesn't set fruits well
Here is my 12' prune yearly to keep small

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 10:03:32 AM »
Silas Woods is notoriously a good producer. Mine is 5+ feet or so, and has a 2 decent sized fruit growing and more flowers. Yet to taste one, but all accounts thus far rank it highly. Fruit are on the small size.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 10:15:56 AM »
Silas Woods is notoriously a good producer. Mine is 5+ feet or so, and has a 2 decent sized fruit growing and more flowers. Yet to taste one, but all accounts thus far rank it highly. Fruit are on the small size.

SW are sweet but lack that brown sugar and brown sugar cinnamon flavor.  Their flesh color is more white.  When they get mature, due to their ability to fruit heavily ghey are prone to limb breakage.  I recommend thinning at this stage.
- Rob

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 11:16:33 AM »
I'm considering removing hasya and replacing with something more productive. 3-4 years in ground, 8ft tall, and we've got 1 fruit thus far, and that was on a  ranch that snapped and thus was stressed.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 11:29:49 AM »
Morena.

The kids adore them, and I'm lucky to get one.  Always left with other varieties, which they once ate, but are no longer interested in.

I also picked up an Excal variety.  Although, not growing much and no production yet.  Time will tell on that one.  Haven't tried it yet.

sg128

• Port Hueneme, California 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 01:02:49 PM »
How well does molix produce in so cal? I have a small tree in the ground. It has flowered but not set fruit as of yet.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 05:21:03 PM »
My Silas woods fruit here has the deep brown color and brown sugar flavor with the compact growth habit. Only problem with it is the limb breakage that can occur.  I also thin the fruit out more now and get much larger fruit, nearly twice the size of the past.  I never thought of it as white internally unless picked early and not ripened properly then they are definitely lighter.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 05:31:36 PM »
My Silas woods fruit here has the deep brown color and brown sugar flavor with the compact growth habit. Only problem with it is the limb breakage that can occur.  I also thin the fruit out more now and get much larger fruit, nearly twice the size of the past.  I never thought of it as white internally unless picked early and not ripened properly then they are definitely lighter.

I question its a SW from the description.   I have not seen them with dark brown flesh color or strong brown sugar flavor.  I am not saying they are snow white in color but very pale with creamy whitish overtones.  Will try and eemember to post some pictures next time I have some.
- Rob

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 05:37:52 PM »
Hasya' is the long-time standard of high quality among the Mayans of Yucatan.  'Morena', also from there, is a newer selection, way more productive, and way less prone to branch breakage.

'Molix' (moLEESH), also from Yucatan, has wavy leaves, fruits are similar to 'Morena', and the tree is somewhat less productive.

'Alano', from Hawai'i (or Philippines) seems to have the longest season and the most attractive tree.
Har

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 07:29:18 PM »
I purchased a grafted 3 gal "Prolific" from an Ebay dealer in Puerto Rico.  It's one of the older cultivated varieties.  My "Hasya" had about 5 fruits early on, but nothing recently.  I think ants are what pollinated the flowers for me.  Has lots of flowers & is pushing many branches. 

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 09:14:40 PM »
it is positively a Silas woods, there is no mistaking that cultivar, it is from my area and know it well and obviously have seen the mother tree. I had another one also before and lost it to limb breakage. I always thought SW to have a more rich flavor than you guys think on the other side. I like that fruit, it may not be the best, but it is very high quality! another proof of SW is it is the only one that produces 4 crops, it's a machiine! that's how you know you have that cultivar. Everyone that has Saps and loves them, should have one!

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 09:25:21 PM »
something tells me you need to ripen those SW fruit longer, they are good fruit, just have to know how to get the size up on them. Much like a Pickering mango, maybe not the best, but plenty good.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 01:39:45 AM »
No love for brown sugar variety?