Author Topic: Fail Safe "Doomsday" Seed Vault Flooded  (Read 2631 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Oscar

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Re: Fail Safe "Doomsday" Seed Vault Flooded
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 06:36:54 PM »
I wonder if they have a lot of coconuts in the vault. If global temperatures stay elevated and the ice continues to melt, that might make a good beach front location... Oh rats, it would be under rising water.... Oh well, they can use the coconuts  to make a good flotation device.   ;)

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
 William Arthur Ward

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:05:12 PM by palmcity »

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 07:13:08 PM »
Oops!Man best laid plans ::)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 06:26:03 PM »
I guess they expected the location to be always secure and cold when they chose it.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 10:58:22 AM »
The entrance to the seed vault could be modified to create a structural "airlock," so that floodwaters could not reach the seeds if this happens again.  I mean a passive structural airlock and not a water tight door, so there would be no risk of human error.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 11:48:41 AM »
And to think the Elites had it all figured out, With their underground cities to protect them from Nucler fall out , The seed bank it to start everything over once the lil folks are whipped out of the planet ..

Mr C don't give them ideas , we common folks will never have access to the seed bank , Only for the Elites ..
Zone 10

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 12:19:25 PM »
And to think the Elites had it all figured out, With their underground cities to protect them from Nucler fall out , The seed bank it to start everything over once the lil folks are whipped out of the planet ..

Mr C don't give them ideas , we common folks will never have access to the seed bank , Only for the Elites ..

Ed, I respect your views.  But mass starvation has been caused by various blights and diseases that affect mono agricultural society throughout the ages.  The Potato Famine, Gros Michel banana, etc.   Chairman Mao killed 20 million of his own people through starvation in the "Great Leap Forward" by bad government planning and "shooting the messenger" governing.  If a seedbank has the potential to help prevent mass starvation, then I'm for it.

The world's food supplies have largely become mono-culture of single crops to increase production...corn, holstein cows, cavendish bananas, etc.  PD No. 4 is wiping out the Cavendish.  If the World's food supply gets wiped out due to a new disease, hunger will force people to "borrow" your fruit without your permission.  A seed bank helps to prevent that scenario.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 01:32:24 PM »
I agree 100 percent with protecting the worlds seed/food supply, But for some reason the powers that be don't have our best interest at hand , I wish I would be so though! ..

Great article ..
Zone 10

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 09:43:12 PM »
Yeah, I'm not inclined to believe Monsanto, Rockefeller and Bill Gates have all of our best interests in mind lol.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk