Author Topic: Indian Jujube Rootstock  (Read 1299 times)

englewoodhomegrown

• FL 9b
    • View Profile
Indian Jujube Rootstock
« on: May 19, 2017, 09:49:41 PM »
Does anyone know what the preferred rootstock for ziziphus mauritiana is? Would like to start propagating but have never been able to get a seed to germinate nor have had any root suckers come up. Are they even typically grafted? Maybe air layer? Thanks for the help!

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Re: Indian Jujube Rootstock
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:21:32 PM »
I bought seeds from Cliff England at www.nuttrees.net. Excellent transaction. I haven't gotten around to potting them up yet but they look like good quality. He is an authority on persimmon, paw paw and jujube.
-Josh

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 11:01:09 PM »
I was told by Echo they use the Indian rootstock and graft the Indian or thai giant onto itself? Years ago my
brother bought out a nursery that had a ton of small jujubes seedlings in small pots. He kept a couple and
raised them and the fruit was inferior to the Thai Giant. It was very small and had a big seed. Very little
flesh. The plants were also extra thorny. I was told the seeds have a very short shelf life and you have to plant
immediately but I never tried to plant them? I have two trees and had 1000 fruit this past year. I have tried to
grow them from cuttings with 0% success? Maybe next year I will try 6 seeds but it's usually around Xmas when
the fruit is ripe.
Mike

mangomike

• USA Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 11:21:35 PM »
This link has a lot of useful info:

http://books.google.com.my/books?id=UFTiCYJWvN4C&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

It is in the Online Library

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk