Author Topic: Kaffir Lime tree conundrum  (Read 1326 times)

mikeinuk

• UK
    • View Profile
Kaffir Lime tree conundrum
« on: June 04, 2017, 05:11:13 AM »
Hi All. I have quite a specific problem and there really isn't much I've found on the internet which might help me so here goes....

I have a Kaffir Lime tree in a pot which I've had for a few years. I'm in the UK and keep it indoors over winter where it shrinks back a bit and looks a bit unhappy. Come summer time I put it outside and it springs to life again. I've had it for a few years and have worked out what it needs and it was my pride and joy, especially as I like to cook Thai food. Ironically, I went travelling to Thailand for a few months at the end of last year and the one job my sister (to whom I gave a key to my house) had was to water it, but she didn't. When I came home it was in such a bad state and I was convinced it was dead. I pruned the obviously dead stuff and kept it indoors until about 6 weeks ago I then put it in a cloche in my garden. I've fed it a few times with citrus feed and it hadn't shown any sign of re-growth until this past week. I now have some tiny green shoots near the base. I have read that Kaffir Lime trees are commonly grafted onto normal Lime tree root stock and it looks to me as though the growth is below a graft line. The new growth looks like single leaves (not double) and I did notice last year that I had single leaf growth at the base.

So I still have no sign of growth above the line but it doesn't 'feel' dead up there. There is flex and strength in the branches and it's not all twiggy and frail, despite looking like it is. I was thinking I might prune back again above the line and see what happens. Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just accept the inevitable and buy a new one?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Kaffir Lime tree conundrum
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 07:55:47 AM »
All growth below the graft is rootstock and should be removed asap.  With that being said, mamy times when a grafted tree flushes heavily below the graft it is a sign that the grafted part if the tree is dead.

You can always do the old fashioned scratch test to see if you are dealing with live or dead plant material (scratch the bark to see if it is green underneath).
- Rob

mikeinuk

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 08:13:38 AM »
Hi Rob, thanks for your reply. I've just gone outside and sliced off the new growth, which shows very green underneath. I've pared back the bark on the main stem above the graft for a good couple of mm depth and no green. I then cut off one of the main branches and it just looks like wood, i.e. no green. I fear my tree is dead from the waist up  :(

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 10:40:02 AM »
Time to buy a new Tree. - Sorry for the outcome.

mikeinuk

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 01:21:03 PM »
 :'(

Thanks for all your help though, much appreciated  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk