Author Topic: Irrigation filter mesh size  (Read 1352 times)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Irrigation filter mesh size
« on: June 23, 2017, 06:54:15 AM »
I'm building an irrigation system using a 2" shallow well in sandy soil and microsprayers and would like a recommendation for a 2" pipe size inline strainer to install which will give me good filtration and be easy to clean or blowdown. What would you suggest as a model which has performed well and what filter screen mesh size to use.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Irrigation filter mesh size
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 08:15:17 AM »
You could probably get by with 155 mesh if it's a sprayer.  Believe I installed the 200 mesh with the valve that blows stuff out but that's also because I have 1/2 gph emitters.   I have the Amiad filter that collects sand.  They are tough and durable.  https://www.dripworks.com/amiad-filters-high-pressure

The fat boy that is designed to collect sand in the body is before the Mazzei injector.  The regular slim boy is behind it and in front of a manifold.

Come off your line with a reducer down to 1 1/2".  No need to get anal about this pressure thing either.  Cinching down to say....a 1" line and back up to 2" runs about the same.  Also, don't over think this sizing thing.  I ran 2 miles of 1/2" poly line and the 1 1/2" distribution line to those rows was overkill.  "Techs" tend to scare folks into thinking about those "horrendous" friction losses. Found out they really don't exist in reality.  That's with a 1 HP Grundfos submersible pump. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 08:21:42 AM by Mark in Texas »

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
Re: Irrigation filter mesh size
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 10:28:06 AM »
I use a 2" Amiad Tagline 200 Mesh (T-Style) has the blow out valve like mark, pressure gauges (in and out) I run drip tape and micro jet sprinklers so I use 200 mesh screen filter.  https://www.dripworks.com/amiad-tagline-filters

My situation is unique cause I use the 2" gas powered pumps like you have since my farm is off grid. The pressure system is low around 10-20 psi (fine for drip and maxijets).  With this low pressure system you definitely receive line and friction loss. and im using 2" mainline with 3/4" poly on the trees with maxi jets.  pay attention to maximum run length and GPH for poly tubing.

3/4" poly max run is 480ft and 480 gph and 1" poly is 960ft and 960GPH. 

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:35:44 AM by palmtreeluke »
Home of the Chewy Purple Sugar Apple Annona squamosa 'Isan Indigo'
www.greenplanetfarm.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk