Author Topic: Garcinia size control  (Read 2941 times)

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
Garcinia size control
« on: July 10, 2017, 07:09:16 AM »
Hi All

I grow achacha and a yellow mangosteen (not sure if it's dulcis or tinctoria) here. All are small but are growing.

In terms of garcinia are there any particular do and do nots with regards to size control? How small can they reasonably be kept? I was surprised when I saw how large they can actually get if left (for what I imagine is a loooong time). I haven't seen much on pruning but have seen some very large spacing recommended.

Thanks for any advice!

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
Re: Garcinia size control
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »
So all I have found is that you should let them have a central leader to the height wanted. I'm thinking a central leader to 2.5m and prune in the sides to a total width of about 3.5m. I guess I'll see if that works.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 03:05:56 AM »
Still after info on this if anybody has any?

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 03:29:46 PM »
Although mine have a long way to grow, I was wondering if tipping a small garcinia, as is done with mango trees, would produce a more compact adult tree.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 05:19:50 PM »
Although mine have a long way to grow, I was wondering if tipping a small garcinia, as is done with mango trees, would produce a more compact adult tree.

You'll just slow down the formation of leader. It will continue to devote energy into forming one again. Wouldn't "tip" a garcinia species but if I did I would wait until they have grown a good 6ft tall.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 01:43:38 AM »
Hmmm still haven't been able to find anything on this. The one I am most worried about is achachairu and so I moved it to larger spaces area before it got too established (nearest neighbour a jack about 21/22ft away). Would still like to plant closer to it on the other sides if there is a way to control size and still get fruit.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 04:44:51 AM by Ulfr »

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 04:42:49 AM »
Hi Ulfr,

I just found a book (109 pages) about cultivation of Achachairú, it's in Spanish (from a Bolivian Government agency). In page 58, chapter 6.1.2 Podas (Pruning), about formation pruning text just says that one single leader should be left, but you already knew that, and that this pruning should be done at least 6 months after planting in ground. It also says that in adult trees pruning must be done two months after harvest or during the dry season.

Here is the publication, that will be of interest for those that speak Spanish if they didn't know it yet:

https://frutales.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/o20-el-cultivo-de-achacairu.pdf
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 04:45:03 AM by Jose Spain »

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 04:48:15 AM »
Hi Ulfr,

I just found a book (109 pages) about cultivation of Achachairú, it's in Spanish (from a Bolivian Government agency). In page 58, chapter 6.1.2 Podas (Pruning), about formation pruning text just says that one single leader should be left, but you already knew that, and that this pruning should be done at least 6 months after planting in ground. It also says that in adult trees pruning must be done two months after harvest or during the dry season.

Here is the publication, that will be of interest for those that speak Spanish if they didn't know it yet:

https://frutales.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/o20-el-cultivo-de-achacairu.pdf

Thank you so much Jose! Hmmm that it mentioned pruning after harvest sounds very promising :) I'll have a look and put it through the translator. Thanks again :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 06:43:46 AM »
Hmmm still haven't been able to find anything on this. The one I am most worried about is achachairu and so I moved it to larger spaces area before it got too established (nearest neighbour a jack about 21/22ft away). Would still like to plant closer to it on the other sides if there is a way to control size and still get fruit.
The achachairu tends to get very wide, but not very tall. More of a problem is Garcinia dulcis, which can get very tall. I think if you just topped them when they get 10 ft. tall that would do the trick. Some follow up pruning would be necessary to encourage horizontal growth.
Oscar

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 01:00:25 PM »
If the tree can be kept to ten feet tall what is a reasonable width that it can be kept to?  I have one that is going in the ground in the next couple days.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 03:48:03 PM »
Can anyone growing Achachairu comment on a reasonable width if you are trying to keep the tree small.  Is 8 or 10 feet wide reasonable?

Bill

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 09:15:27 PM »
Can anyone growing Achachairu comment on a reasonable width if you are trying to keep the tree small.  Is 8 or 10 feet wide reasonable?

Bill

Hi Bill. I know they can grow very wide. I aim to keep mine 10-12ft tall and about 15 ft wide. It will grow wider than this and I plan to cut it back when needed. Time will tell if that works out.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 10:37:23 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I put my Achachairu in the ground yesterday. It has about nine feet of width. I wish I had more space for it but I have too many different varieties of trees that I want to grow. I guess in ten to twenty years I'll have a lot of pruning to do.

Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk