Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Is it possible to fruit a Valentime pummelo in Canada?

(1/4) > >>

Mtlgirl:
Hi all,
I read Millet's wonderful review on the Valentine review and I am very tempted to acquire one. Woul it be possible to fruit this variery considering that I live on the east coast of Canada and don't have a greenhouse? It will be in a container and bring inside for winter.
Thank you for helping me

Citradia:
I don't know if you'd get enough heat units annually to get good fruit in Canada, especially poor pummelo or grapefruit, but I do know citrus in pots in house in winter equals spider mite infestation; the trees should be taken outside when not below freezing and blasted with water hose and/or sprayed with a dormant oil periodically to help control spider mites. Spider mites don't like humidity and it's very dry inside homes in winter. I don't get a lot of heat units here in western NC and my satsumas fruit well, but grapefruit take too long to mature and they don't turn pink inside and are bitter.

Millet:
Is it possible - yes.  Is it probable - probably not.  If you can provide the light, and keep the temperatures around 83 or so then  maybe.  Eventually, you would need a rather large container.

Susanne42:
This brings me to the question if the valentine, (or any other citrus for that matter) does not need a break from active growing?
I always thought temps around 60 to 70 would be enough for winter months.

Millet:
Any temperature  above the absolute 54.5-F would be enough to keep the tree growing.  Pummelos, such as the variety Valentine, require high heat requirements to mature. The heat units from temperatures such a 60 to 70 would take the fruit a very very long time to mature, and at those temperatures the fruit would produce very little soluble solids (sugars), and if it ever turned a mature coloration, the fruit would probably be very bitter (sour).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version