Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Sweet juicy grapefruit advice please. Or other suggestions...

(1/3) > >>

chris1:
I am looking for a sweet and juicy grapefruit variety. I am looking for this because I have been eating ruby red grapefruit lately I have bought from the grocery store and they are excellent. I am fine planting this exact variety in my yard but I feel like it is a Home Depot tree and can't help but wonder if there is a better variety out there. I plan to keep the tree relatively small as in under 12 feet tall through pruning. I like a tree that is a reliable grower and isn't high maintenance. Also a long season for the fruit and hopefully fruit that stays on the tree a long time. If you think that something other than a grapefruit is a must have citrus I am open to those ideas also. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

AndrewAZ:
Duncan is an old variety, but, does well in FL and supposedly has the truest, most grapefruit taste of any variety.  Fell out of variety due to seediness.
I have heard many people state that browns select satsuma mandarin is their favorite citrus.

SoCal2warm:
Well there's nothing sweeter and juicier than a tangelolo (but that's more of a tangelo flavor than grapefruit).

You are right to be concerned that your citrus is a standard blah variety and question whether there's something better out there. However, in the case of grapefruit the standard ones are pretty much the best. Have you considered an Oroblanco grapefruit though?

My personal take on Oroblanco, it seems to have just a little less flavor and aroma than regular grapefruit, frustratingly, but the flavor it does have is excellent. They tend to have a bit less bitterness than other grapefruit (although I still think environmental factors make as much difference as variety here).

I might also add that some citrus enthusiasts are huge fans of Tahitian pummelo, if you like lime flavor. It's sweeter and juicier than other pummelos (probably because it's more like a grapefruit than a true pummelo).

chris1:

--- Quote from: AndrewAZ on July 17, 2017, 01:10:32 AM ---Duncan is an old variety, but, does well in FL and supposedly has the truest, most grapefruit taste of any variety.  Fell out of variety due to seediness.
I have heard many people state that browns select satsuma mandarin is their favorite citrus.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the suggestion. I have researched it and it does seem to be far more seedy than I would like but thank you for the suggestion. As for the brown's satsuma I may need to grow one of those as well. Seems like it can easily be kept small which opens up some new potential locations for me to plant one. Thanks for the suggestion I will be researching this further. 

chris1:

--- Quote from: SoCal2warm on July 17, 2017, 03:32:28 AM ---Well there's nothing sweeter and juicier than a tangelolo (but that's more of a tangelo flavor than grapefruit).

You are right to be concerned that your citrus is a standard blah variety and question whether there's something better out there. However, in the case of grapefruit the standard ones are pretty much the best. Have you considered an Oroblanco grapefruit though?

My personal take on Oroblanco, it seems to have just a little less flavor and aroma than regular grapefruit, frustratingly, but the flavor it does have is excellent. They tend to have a bit less bitterness than other grapefruit (although I still think environmental factors make as much difference as variety here).

I might also add that some citrus enthusiasts are huge fans of Tahitian pummelo, if you like lime flavor. It's sweeter and juicier than other pummelos (probably because it's more like a grapefruit than a true pummelo).

--- End quote ---

I don't know much of anything about pummelo or tangelo. I will need to research that. I would love to sample an oroblanco somewhere but they don't seem to be commercially available.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version