Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Paw Paw Farm sugestions

(1/4) > >>

Luisport:
Hi everyone. I want to start one paw paw production farm here in my country. I'm totaly obcessed by this fabulously nutritious, healing and versatile fruit! It's possible to do so much things with paw paws that i see it can be very profitable if the project is made correctly. First i'm selecting 10 to 15 diferent paw paw varieties to make a second selection when they get fruit.
For fruit selling i thing the best var will be the ones of medium size less seeds, and good not too strong flavour and no bad aftertaste.
For pulp extraction, varieties presenting big size, fewer seeds and excelent taste. It's possible a blending of several varieties maby.
I have to start to grow many seedlings from seed. Now i don't know the best rotstock varieties. I think i will have my first fruits from my two big sunflower paw paws... i have many ideas... any thoughts?

;D

AndrewAZ:
I wish you good luck.  Beautiful tree, beautiful flowers, great fruit. The problem with paw paw is that the fruit don't hold long after being picked.  That is why it is not commercially sold in the USA. 
So, if you are looking for varieties to sell, need to find fruit with longest shelf life.

Luisport:

--- Quote from: AndrewAZ on July 22, 2017, 11:27:46 PM ---I wish you good luck.  Beautiful tree, beautiful flowers, great fruit. The problem with paw paw is that the fruit don't hold long after being picked.  That is why it is not commercially sold in the USA. 
So, if you are looking for varieties to sell, need to find fruit with longest shelf life.

--- End quote ---
Thank you for your reply! Yes it's true, but i don't know what var are more durable. Even so we can always sell part of production locally and transform the pulp of the rest that will not be selled.

Triloba Tracker:

--- Quote from: Luisport on July 23, 2017, 07:00:20 AM ---
--- Quote from: AndrewAZ on July 22, 2017, 11:27:46 PM ---I wish you good luck.  Beautiful tree, beautiful flowers, great fruit. The problem with paw paw is that the fruit don't hold long after being picked.  That is why it is not commercially sold in the USA. 

--- End quote ---
Thank you for your reply! Yes it's true, but i don't know what var are more durable. Even so we can always sell part of production locally and transform the pulp of the rest that will not be selled.

--- End quote ---
Yes, shelf life and fragility are 2 of the biggest, if not the biggest, impediments to commercial pawpaw production.

I am not aware of any cultivars that are dramatically better in these categories. research has been done on things to improve shelf life like hot-water treatment, etc, but no silver bullet has been found to my knowledge.

Firmer-fleshed varieties might be helpful. I believe Susquehanna is known for firmer texture, and I can attest to its mango-like texture in terms of eating. Not mushy/watery like many wild fruit. Other varieties purportedly are firmer too but can't recall which.

The new KSU-Benson variety is more spherical in shape which may aid in transporting/packing.

I also do not think there has been an overwhelming favorite for rootstock production. However, my experience, and that of Kentucky State in some research, is that Sunflower has vigorous growth characteristics and thus is capable of grafting sooner. The same KSU study concluded Susquehanna seedlings were poor rootstock choices.
Sunflower seeds have produced the tallest/most vigorous seedlings for me (aside from some wild seeds - in my limited experience).

Luisport:
Thank's a lot! By the way i will receive my Potomac pawpaw soon!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version