Everything Else > Tropical Vegetables and Other Edibles

Tropical Mushroom Cultivation

(1/2) > >>

ericalynne:
I have 20 acres of downed trees, many of them oaks; it occurred to me that perhaps I could get some benefit out of Irma by cultivating edible mushrooms. I have done some googling. According to various sources, shiitake (Lentinula edodes.)  is actually from southeast Asia and there are warm weather strains. Also there is a warm species of Pleurotis pulmonarius that will grow on sweet bay, which is the other downed tree in abundance on my property.

I am wondering if anyone on this forum has been growing mushrooms in a tropical or subtropical environment?

Erica

Chupa King:
Do it. Use the resources around you.

I often eat our native fungi, they are very tasty. I had plugs sent to me from the mainland but they never really worked. We had then growing in bags for awhile but once we tried to introduce them outside they didn't survive.

Wild Oyster I believe...

Future:

--- Quote from: Chupa King on October 16, 2017, 01:44:23 PM ---Do it. Use the resources around you.

I often eat our native fungi, they are very tasty. I had plugs sent to me from the mainland but they never really worked. We had then growing in bags for awhile but once we tried to introduce them outside they didn't survive.

Wild Oyster I believe...

--- End quote ---

Believe and mushrooms don't go together.  Many have died this way.  Get plugs or spawn and be sure.

Chupa King:
Sure. Why dont you go ahead and send me some plugs?

My wife has a degree in Mycology. I think I know which ones will kill me or make me terribly sick.

ericalynne:
Collecting wild edible mushrooms is a whole different topic from cultivating mushrooms, just like foraging for wild herbs is different from a garden.

So while collecting edible wild mushrooms is interesting and tasty for some, and quite risky for others, what I am really interested in is if anyone is actually cultivating known edible mushrooms. It looks quite doable and I plan to go ahead. I am just wondering if anyone here has first hand knowledge. Googling will show that internationally, there are people cultivating mushrooms on a commercial level.

So I'll keep this thread going for a bit and see if anyone responds.

Erica

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version