Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Ocamponis x coniflorus dragonfruit

(1/3) > >>

Rannman:
I received a cutting of this from Ethan Moses a few years back and I was wondering if anyone else, or Ethan, has any information on this variety. Mine is fruiting for the first time this year and would like to compare pics/info. All I know at the moment is that it’s a prickly little sucker. Will add a pic of young fruit tomorrow.

Rannman:
Added a couple of pics of juvenile fruit. Not sure if these fruit look different to coniflorus fruit, but certainly different to  Ocamponis. Does anyone know what coniflorus fruit tastes like?

ricshaw:
Interesting.

Several hobbyist are growing Ocamponis varieties in the U.S.

I have a couple. I like the fruit.... but don't like that they are thorny devils!

I m not familiar with Coniflorus.

Rannman:
I’m a bit confused by the coniflorus side of things as well. Most info I find refers to selenicereus grandiflorus which has similar growth to my plant. Looking forward to seeing the fruit ripen so I can check flesh colour and flavour.

ricshaw:
Mattslandscape.com says;
 Species-SELENICEREUS CONIFLORUS- Has a Large nocturnal (night blooming) Flower in white with gold back petals. The growth is rope like and the bloom and growth only differs slightly from The following varieties, which should all probably be reduced to varieties or synonyms of S. grandiflorus, as their stems and flowers differ only slightly: S. urbanianus, S. coniflorus, S. hondurensis, S. pteranthus, S. kunthianus, S. brevispinus, S. boeckmannii, S. macdonaldii, S. rothii. SELENICEREUS CONIFLORUS-Has stem growth more cylintrical and is not as thick as S.Grandiflorus but otherwise is very simular. Requires the same growing culture as Hybrid Epiphyllums, a few hours of direct sunlight required to bloom well. Blooms from late July to September in Southern California,U.S.A. climate-coastal region. This variety was first discovered/published in Mexico-1904. THE PLANTS OR CUTTINGS OFFERED HERE WERE GARDEN CULTIVATED AND WERE NOT REMOVED FROM THERE NATIVE HABITAT.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version