Author Topic: Make my dream come true by selling me a Luc’s Garcinia!  (Read 4388 times)

JenRiot

• San Diego, CA 10a/b, 23
    • View Profile
Make my dream come true by selling me a Luc’s Garcinia!
« on: November 24, 2017, 03:47:31 PM »
Hello everyone!  Thanks to this forum and the amazing information from experts  here I have officially become obsessed with adding a Luc’s garcinia to my collection.  It’s been decided that it is G. vleerackeii, correct?  Despite the fact that it seems almost everyone on here has at least one in their collection, I’ve found it to be next to impossible to track them down ANYWHERE!  I live in San Diego so we have the benefit of a wonderful subtropical climate here (I’m 10b) so despite not being able to grow mangosteen without great effort and luck, we can still grow the next best thing!

I’m desperately hoping to get my hands on a nice little tree of Luc’s garcinia, and if price permits, two.  I’d also love a good quality achachairu.  I have two smallish g. humilis  coming from Hawaii soon but I don’t know how the quality of the fruit will be, so if I can get one that is known to be excellent, i’d love to buy one of those as well.

Sorry for being so long winded.

I have a few other garcinias but they’re barely more than seedlings at this point, so it would be wonderful to have something that could potentially fruit in the next couple years.

Whatever the case, if one of you smart, lovely growers out there is willing to pass on one or two of these presumably special plants (based on all the rave reviews i’ve read  here) i’d love to be able to buy it from you! 

Please send me a message if you think you could make this happen for me.  Thanks so very much and I hope those of you in the US had a wonderful turkey day!  :)

Cheers!
Jen

Molo

• san diego
    • View Profile
Re: Make my dream come true by selling me a Luc’s Garcinia!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 07:12:19 PM »
Hi Jen,
Ong's was selling them last time I was there in summer.  They looked about a year old (2 sets of leaves) and were $45 -- although they like to make up prices off the top of their head.  Definitely was a long way away from fruiting tho.

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 09:15:13 PM »
It’s been decided that it is G. vleerackeii, correct?

Luc, is that a really nice name ;D ??

For seeds you can purchase directly from Luc in May 2018 I guess.

For seedlings, some members may help for ex Oscar (fruitlovers.com).

JenRiot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 10:39:58 AM »
Hi Jen,
Ong's was selling them last time I was there in summer.  They looked about a year old (2 sets of leaves) and were $45 -- although they like to make up prices off the top of their head.  Definitely was a long way away from fruiting tho.

Thanks for the pointer! I’ve been there only once and was a little surprised by the cost and the quality of some of the plants.  The owners were nice but so many of the trees were up-potted into such unnecessarily enormous pots that not only were the prohibitively expensive, there was no was that I could get them home in my little car, and BELIEVE ME I have fit a lot of trees in my car! Hah.

Regardless, I will definitely go back and check them out.  I really would love to get a couple of these Luc’s.  I recently got two gorgeous, tall g. humilis, crossing off one of my top three “most wanted.”  Now the #1 spot still remains.  Thanks so much again for responding!

Jen

JenRiot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 10:42:19 AM »

For seeds you can purchase directly from Luc in May 2018 I guess.

For seedlings, some members may help for ex Oscar (fruitlovers.com).
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip.  If I have to wait until  may for seeds I will, though i’m sure most everyone understands the utter impatience i’m feeling  about wanting these ASAP! Haha.  I’ll keep at it until I find some, that’s all anyone can do!  Thanks! :)

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 10:58:57 AM »
I may have one, though I won't be able to pass it along until sometime after summer.  (I sent you a message.)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 09:07:00 PM »
i would love to get one too.

Schutzhund

• United States, Los Angeles, CA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 01:13:03 AM »
I have some seedlings