Author Topic: California Dept. Of Ag, Forces Nursery To Destroy All Its Citrus Trees  (Read 2033 times)

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
Re: California Dept. Of Ag, Forces Nursery To Destroy All Its Citrus Trees
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 08:13:16 PM »
http://abc7.com/food/ie-nurserys-citrus-trees-to-be-destroyed-by-ca-agriculture-department/2959173/

There is probably a requirement to grow the trees in screen houses. Refuse and they destroy the trees. Simple explanation.

In the Houston area there are only two growers that built screen houses. And they are bearing down on them with requirements like
suiting up, going into the screen house foyer, shower with chemicals, enter the work zone, and then discard the suit.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:15:19 PM by mrtexas »

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 01:36:18 PM »
so is there eventually going to be a ban on selling citrus trees in CA? like you won't be able to find them anymore at home depot etc?

Isaac-1

• western Louisiana zone 8b/9a line
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 03:27:36 PM »
As I see it the problem with HLB is the long time frame from infection (which can be caused by a single ACP bite), until symptoms occur.  Meaning that a single HLB infected ACP could fly around a growing nursery infecting a vast number of trees.  The number of trees in one of these commercial citrus nurseries at any one time is probably a hundred to a thousand times more than one would find even in a large garden center.  Therefore vastly multiplying the potential fallout of an HLB infection spreading, this also does not account for the likeliness of a much wider spread distribution footprint.  An infected tree bought in a big box store garden center will likely be planted within 10-15 miles of the store, so if there were already HLB infected ACP at the garden center, chances are good that there are also infected ACP near the home planting site.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 10:30:35 AM »
One of many reasons I would never live in Comifornia
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 10:06:07 PM »
Didn't the state of FL go door to door removing and destroying people's Citrus tree's? I get that there may be hidden meaning but what is wrong about trying to stop the spread of HLB on a commercial level?

VUgearhead

• Curiosity killed the vegan
    • South Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 09:01:10 PM »
Didn't the state of FL go door to door removing and destroying people's Citrus tree's? I get that there may be hidden meaning but what is wrong about trying to stop the spread of HLB on a commercial level?

You mean, other than the door-to-door campaign in Florida, and any other attempts at corralling HLB were dismal failures? 49'ers better sober up to the fact that HLB is upon them, no matter what they try to do. And destroying one nursery man's livlihood ain't gonna make a dent in the disease's progression one whit.
If you can eat it, GROW IT!!