Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Brix readings of Mandarins, Tangerines and Oranges

(1/8) > >>

simon_grow:
I would like to know a hat everyone is getting for their Brix readings of the various citrus you are growing. It would be great if you can provide the variety name and what month you harvested. I’d would be great if you can provide any additional info such as flavor descriptions or anything else you feel is relevant. Thanks,

Gold Nugget, March, 14% Brix
Tango, March, 16% Brix

Even though the Tango has higher Brix, it tasted much more tart than the Gd Nugget because of the sugar acid ratio. My pH meters membrane dried out so I can’t get an acidity reading but I’m sure the Tango has a lot more acid than the Gold Nugget.

On a side note, I like to cure my Tango and/or any other citrus that tastes a bit too tart for me by allowing them to cure at room temperature for about 2-3 weeks. The acidity level seems to drop off which brings out the sweetness of the fruit.

Simon

Vlad:
Simon, don't they dry out after 2-3 weeks?

simon_grow:
The skin dries out a bit but the inside is still juicy. I believe they do this with Dekopons. The skin would look much nicer if I waxed the fruit after harvest but I’m too lazy. Here’s a picture of some fruit harvested on 03/11/18

Simon

fyliu:
I cure some of my citrus too. The dekopon Sumo I get from the markets are still too tart the few times I've had them. Others keep saying they're sweet, so I'm thinking they can stand the acidity. Even the ones that felt cured were too tart. Then I ate a miracle fruit and discovered they were overdone and already started rotting, but still tart for me.

fyliu:
Simon, where do you get the juice to do the brix? I mean, is there a standard way like take it from the stem end or flower end or middle of the segments?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version