Author Topic: Hesitant to graft seedling... anyone else have this problem?  (Read 1875 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Hesitant to graft seedling... anyone else have this problem?
« on: November 18, 2012, 07:47:47 PM »
Well its been around 1 year since this 'Reed' seedling avocado was germinated. Originally, I intended to use for grafting a 'Reed' scion onto. I am now hesitant on grafting it, even though I know there is a small chance of a superior fruiting tree. There is a good chance it can be a Reed x Hass cross. Both trees are located right next to each other.

The seedling is very healthy and has a nice stout compact growth habit. Does anyone else have problems grafting a seedling sometimes?

Here is a picture, in a air pruning container (thats how attached I am to it now, lol).

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 08:21:26 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Hesitant to graft seedling... anyone else have this problem?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:24:42 PM »
yes! I used to be that way, until I decapitated about 100 trees last year.

after you start to see success with grafts, you be more eager to cut beautiful seedling rootstocks to a stump, for promising new cultivars to be grafted on!

your tree is still small enough to cleft graft, or veneer or wedge!

it really isn't too large, or a candidate for top working quite yet!

I say graft it asap!!

and let me know if you need advice.

take care amigo!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 09:05:11 PM »
There is little risk in grafting an avocado seedling.  You might try both a veneer graft and a cleft graft at the same time, to increase you chances.  If both grafts fail, the seeding will sprout again so all is  not lost.

John
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 09:09:15 PM »
There is little risk in grafting an avocado seedling.  You might try both a veneer graft and a cleft graft at the same time, to increase you chances.  If both grafts fail, the seeding will sprout again so all is  not lost.

John

Very true!

great comment.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 09:14:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys, I am leaning toward a cleft graft then. I suppose I could just keep a branch the original seedling, maybe grafting a Reed from a fruit producing tree will spur flowers on the other branches.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 09:51:30 PM »
I think one in a whole I have a good seedling worth growing, I know numerically is unlikely, but the thought does cross my mind. After decapitating 100's of trees, seedlings and producing trees, I do get the bug once in a while.  I have a Catalina seedling that is 2 yrs old that I think I'm going to let it grow. I did a double girding about 6 month ago and 3 wees ago I did an inverted bark graft in the hopes of accelerating flowering. All unreliable methods.
Some one from this forum after watching the video I did on the inverted bark graft said he remember reading an article basically saying that you can graft from the seedling into a mature tree to get the seedling branch to flower sooner.
It all seems like a lot of work for something highly unlikely to produce good results.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk