Author Topic: What tropcal fruit tree to plant in mostly shade?  (Read 17797 times)

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
What tropcal fruit tree to plant in mostly shade?
« on: February 13, 2012, 08:46:19 PM »
I have a spot along the north side of my house that needs some tropical fruits! Well it's complete shade during winter and like 5-6 hours during the summer.  In addition is very damp as the a/c water goes there.  Initially I thought the jaboticabas, but they did not like the winter full shade.  What other recconendations do you guys have?
Thanks  ;)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: What tropcal fruit tree to plant in mostly shade?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:18:24 PM »
a garcinia? My garcinia intermedia doesn't mind shade.
Jeff  :-)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:45:26 PM »
Another garcinia that doesn't mind a lot of shade is the Bolivian achachairu. A lot tastier than G. intermedia in my opinion.
Oscar
Oscar

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 10:08:56 PM »
naranjilla

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 10:21:12 PM »
Not really fruits, but ginger, turmeric and cardamom all grow very well in a mostly-shaded location. 

John
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 11:01:52 PM »
If you are into miracle fruit at all, it seems to do well in shade.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 11:21:04 PM »
Not really fruits, but ginger, turmeric and cardamom all grow very well in a mostly-shaded location. 

John

Another non-fruit that has an edible root is is the Calathea allouia. The tubers are boiled and taste pretty good. The plant looks nice too. Does very well in shade.

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 06:35:52 AM »
Very interesting suggestions! Thanks :)
Unfortuately, I have never tried any garcinia.  Where could I find a fruit to taste and then plant the seed or the tree? I think based on what I read I would buy the tree without even trying the fruit.
The non fruit suggestions gave me a great idea to plant underneath other trees or in between the garcinias, I will look into those thanks for the suggestions.  I'm gonna research naranjilla because that's another one that I never tasted. 

It's a large space and I will like to fill it up, I'm will start with the garcinias u guys suggested if I can find one ;)

Do you think cacao or dragon fruit (in pot) would like this spot?

Thanks for your responses! This spot will be my spring project, I will update with pics once completed.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 07:36:40 AM »
I also would say the achachairu.

Adiel
Adiel

natsgarden123

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 10:27:55 AM »
 How tasty is the Bolivian Achachairu? Is it "worth growing"? Is it an attractive plant? I also have a very shady area on the north side of my house.

sultry_jasmine_nights

• NE Florida Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 11:25:47 AM »
Cacao  will grow in shade or dappled sunlight. I am not sure about them getting full on sun unless it is only morning sun.  Some people grow them under a grapefruit tree or other type of tree that provides shade.  I had several seedlings that were doing really well in slanted morning sun and dappled afternoon shade.  They got a few feet tall before I had put them in the greenhouse in the winter of 2009 when it got really cold in FL.  I had a tree fall on the back end of the greenhouse that winter which ended the little trees. Most stuff survived but not them they are really cold sensitive but you may be able to grow them without winter protection. I am in the Jax area (9a ish) so they definitely need protection on the colder nights here.

Here are some pics of my little cacao trees before I potted them up and they were a little larger before they went into the greenhouse that year. I am hoping to get some more pods and try again.
They are in the bottom left hand side of the pic (in front of the Hawaiian wood rose vine)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:29:18 AM by sultry_jasmine_nights »
Growing edible and ornamental tropicals and subtropicals and many night bloomers on 4 acres in zone 9a. Learning to live a more self sustainable lifestyle with chickens and other livestock.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 01:18:57 PM »
Do you think cacao or dragon fruit (in pot) would like this spot?

Cacao would probably grow well there.  Cocoa is commercially grown in partial shade in areas that get good year-round rain.  Since you have AirCon runoff at your location, it may do well there.  It does not withstand drought well.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 09:20:32 PM »
Cacao  will grow in shade or dappled sunlight. I am not sure about them getting full on sun unless it is only morning sun.  Some people grow them under a grapefruit tree or other type of tree that provides shade.  I had several seedlings that were doing really well in slanted morning sun and dappled afternoon shade.  They got a few feet tall before I had put them in the greenhouse in the winter of 2009 when it got really cold in FL.  I had a tree fall on the back end of the greenhouse that winter which ended the little trees. Most stuff survived but not them they are really cold sensitive but you may be able to grow them without winter protection. I am in the Jax area (9a ish) so they definitely need protection on the colder nights here.

Here are some pics of my little cacao trees before I potted them up and they were a little larger before they went into the greenhouse that year. I am hoping to get some more pods and try again.
They are in the bottom left hand side of the pic (in front of the Hawaiian wood rose vine)

There are cacao plantings here that are in full sun. The plants don't grow as tall as ones in partial shade. They should be established in partial shade though when small. Don't think cacao will fruit in full shade.
Oscar
Oscar

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 10:41:43 PM »
I've seen an unknown mango growing on the northside of a two story apt. building
here in Palm Springs, and it looks very healthy, though I have not seen it
fruit yet.....but the tree looks to be doing well....and would certainly enjoy
the extra A/C moisture during the summer....

It's about 12 feet by 12 feet....

MFang

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 11:54:36 PM »
Avocados do very well in partical shade.

JF

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 12:20:45 AM »

JF

Is that so?  I never heard that before.
John

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 12:35:28 AM »

JF

Is that so?  I never heard that before.

Yeap! I have three that are thriving in the northwest side of the house. I have lost two in a heatwave in full sun.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 09:49:20 AM »
Banana plants?
John

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 11:52:26 AM »
I've grown a few cavendish bananas in partial shade. The good news is that they survive, the bad news is that they grown incredibly slowly - to the point where it's hard to imagine that they'd ever fruit.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 05:37:17 PM »
Carambola trees adapt pretty well to shady conditions. In order for the tree to fruit well it does need some sun, though probably not a lot.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 07:09:46 PM »
Coffee, of course, does famously well in shade!
FloridaGreenMan

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 08:25:30 PM »
HELP! I have done my homework and I would like to try to grow the achacha and the garcinia intermedia. Problem is, I can't find them!  I found 2 places in PR, but does anyone know of a place in Florida?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
I'd just get them from PR. Montosogardens is phenomenal, and the prices are very reasonable. I got my achiacharu from them - very nice trees.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 11:29:29 PM »
Carambola trees adapt pretty well to shady conditions. In order for the tree to fruit well it does need some sun, though probably not a lot.

carambola always does best near us Central FL and fruits heavily, in 50% shade or more...you'd be surprised!!!

Wind exposed specimens are chlorotic, and unhealthy usually.

Others to put in shade of course are

Monstera deliciosa
miracle fruit
Jaboticaba
passion fruit (will fruit up your tree shading everything!)
other eugenia,
pawpaw
other annonas,
and more!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:31:16 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 11:59:41 PM »
HELP! I have done my homework and I would like to try to grow the achacha and the garcinia intermedia. Problem is, I can't find them!  I found 2 places in PR, but does anyone know of a place in Florida?
Patrick (Pj1881) has a grafted G. intermedia for sale. Excalibur in Lake Worth also has some larger grafted G. intermedia.

Harry, (HMHausman) may have some of the achachairu seedlings for sale. Not sure though. He may not be willing to part with his seedlings.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »
Sheehan, how come they are grafting the garcinia intermedia? They only take about 3 years to begin production. Do they have a cultivar that's actually sweet?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 11:35:52 AM »
murahilin, how come they are grafting the garcinia intermedia? They only take about 3 years to begin production. Do they have a cultivar that's actually sweet?

Oops. I know Patrick's is grafted and thinking back on it, Excaliburs may not be grafted. I remember it being grafted but the last time I saw the trees was about 3 years ago. I am probably wrong.

The cultivar Patrick has was bought from PR so it may be a superior selection.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 12:06:15 PM »
Yeah, I was unaware that anyone was grafting g. intermedia.  I would be interested to know if anyone has any seedling selections that represent any imporvement over the fruits that are readily available.  All the ones I have seen have been virtually identical with some variance on size only.  Flesh to seed ratio has been poor in all that I have encountered. The flavor is decent, but too tart for my taste.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 01:02:26 PM »
yep - same problem with mine.

Yeah, I was unaware that anyone was grafting g. intermedia.  I would be interested to know if anyone has any seedling selections that represent any imporvement over the fruits that are readily available.  All the ones I have seen have been virtually identical with some variance on size only.  Flesh to seed ratio has been poor in all that I have encountered. The flavor is decent, but too tart for my taste.

Harry

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 01:05:52 PM »
Actually, I have seen Jaboticaba do just fine close to the north side of a building, doing multiple heavy crops every year--- as long as nothing is over them to interfere with too much indirect light from the sky.

You may have had a soil problem, or not enough variation in soil moisture to stimulate bloom.

I have a Myrtle-Apricot, a.k.a. "Pitomba-da-Bahia," Eugenia luschnanthiana, very close to the north side of my house which fruited OK when it was short, but now fruits much more now that it is taller than the house, up in full sun.
Har

natsgarden123

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2012, 06:21:59 PM »
I had some pineapple suckers that fell off ..I was going to throw them out but I put them in the shady bed ( north side , partially covered by an overhang)-and now, one month later, they have all sprouted pineapples..go figure

happyisland

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 07:00:37 PM »
Time to resurrect this thread a bit. I've still got a couple spaces I could use a small shade-fruiting plant/tree for... I've got a garcinia intermedia I just planted that is doing well, so I was thinking about a garcinia humilis. Anyone know where to get a decent-sized one?

Also, I was considering a naranjilla, but Morton warns "The naranjilla cannot tolerate temperatures over 85º F (29.4º C). It is not adapted to full sun but favors semi-shade." Can anyone back that up? It is almost ALWAYS over 85 here in Aruba!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 09:05:10 PM »
Time to resurrect this thread a bit. I've still got a couple spaces I could use a small shade-fruiting plant/tree for... I've got a garcinia intermedia I just planted that is doing well, so I was thinking about a garcinia humilis. Anyone know where to get a decent-sized one?

Also, I was considering a naranjilla, but Morton warns "The naranjilla cannot tolerate temperatures over 85º F (29.4º C). It is not adapted to full sun but favors semi-shade." Can anyone back that up? It is almost ALWAYS over 85 here in Aruba!

Yes the achachairu will fruit fine in partial shade. I think naranjilla is worth a try. We grow it here. It's true that it's a sub tropical, from highands of S. America, but can be grown in the tropics (lowlands) in partial shade. I've gotten very good crops of it. Anyway it's very easy to start from seed and experiment with. Plant it in a few different spots and see what works best. It like a LOT of water in tropical places. The leaves are very large so wilt easily.
Oscar

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 09:33:05 PM »
Naranjilla seems more tolerant of high temperatures here in Colorado; I had 2 outside last summer in 20% humidity and our somewhat frequent 50-70-MPH wind gusts with 3 months of temperatures over 85, in full sun until about 3pm, and they still flowered and set fruit.  Amazingly, the leaves weren't shredded by our wind either.

They seem to sulk (and drop leaves and fruit) whenever conditions change dramatically, but they seem more adaptable than they have been given credit for.   Here you can see my plants after being exposed to Colorado sun, humidity and wind for a week (on the left) and 3 weeks (on the right), growing new leaves to replace those that developed in 80% humidity in my basement:

There's even a flower spike forming on the mostly-leafless one on the right.  They are only in my garage because we had snow yesterday, but just in the past week they've been subjected to temps ranging from 35 to 85 degrees, and 65 MPH winds.

Kevin
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:36:38 PM by CoPlantNut »

happyisland

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 10:15:13 PM »
Yes the achachairu will fruit fine in partial shade. I think naranjilla is worth a try. We grow it here. It's true that it's a sub tropical, from highands of S. America, but can be grown in the tropics (lowlands) in partial shade. I've gotten very good crops of it. Anyway it's very easy to start from seed and experiment with. Plant it in a few different spots and see what works best. It like a LOT of water in tropical places. The leaves are very large so wilt easily.

Nice - I actually need an ornamental for a certain landscaping area, but the fruiting is a must too. I'll definitely try naranjilla, and report back my findings. Any idea where I can get seeds? Is there a good online resource you know of for that kind of thing?

happyisland

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 10:16:55 PM »
Naranjilla seems more tolerant of high temperatures here in Colorado; I had 2 outside last summer in 20% humidity and our somewhat frequent 50-70-MPH wind gusts with 3 months of temperatures over 85, in full sun until about 3pm, and they still flowered and set fruit.  Amazingly, the leaves weren't shredded by our wind either.

They seem to sulk (and drop leaves and fruit) whenever conditions change dramatically, but they seem more adaptable than they have been given credit for.   Here you can see my plants after being exposed to Colorado sun, humidity and wind for a week (on the left) and 3 weeks (on the right), growing new leaves to replace those that developed in 80% humidity in my basement:

There's even a flower spike forming on the mostly-leafless one on the right.  They are only in my garage because we had snow yesterday, but just in the past week they've been subjected to temps ranging from 35 to 85 degrees, and 65 MPH winds.

Kevin

Great information, thanks! And sheesh, if a naranjilla can survive the hellish conditions where you are (I thought it was windy here in Aruba!) then they can surely handle a little Aruban warmth...

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 11:16:23 AM »
Great information, thanks! And sheesh, if a naranjilla can survive the hellish conditions where you are (I thought it was windy here in Aruba!) then they can surely handle a little Aruban warmth...

It's always possible that Colorado simply lacks whichever nematodes or fungi that attack naranjilla when it is stressed, but I've been surprised at how resilient my plants have been given what I have read elsewhere.  They certainly didn't look too badly stressed even when temps were above 95oF for weeks at a time, and still pushed out more blooms.

Kevin

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 12:16:10 PM »

Nice - I actually need an ornamental for a certain landscaping area, but the fruiting is a must too. I'll definitely try naranjilla, and report back my findings. Any idea where I can get seeds? Is there a good online resource you know of for that kind of thing?

There is multiple sources of seeds for naranjilla. Ebay and Oscar has it at fruitlovers as well.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

happyisland

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2012, 10:33:55 AM »

There is multiple sources of seeds for naranjilla. Ebay and Oscar has it at fruitlovers as well.

Just ordered seeds for naranjillo, Randia formosa, and mysore raspberry from fruitlovers. Psyched! Hopefully these will max out my fruit-growing potential in the shadier corners of my yard...

happyisland

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2012, 02:19:49 PM »
Would a somewhat shady corner be good for sugar apple or grumichama? Just trying to come up with some more options.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2012, 11:46:41 PM »
Will survive but not fruit.
Har

happyisland

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2012, 09:47:30 AM »
What about garcinia prainiana or garcinia madruno?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:50:15 AM by happyisland »