Author Topic: Looking for scion wood (for stone fruits & mulberry)  (Read 3286 times)

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
Looking for scion wood (for stone fruits & mulberry)
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:40:53 PM »
Hi everyone.
I am looking for these scion woods:

Persian or Pakistan mulberry

Please let me know if you have any to spare.  I'll pay for the wood and cost of shipping.

Thanks in advance.

I have some santa rosa plum and black tartarian cherry just in case if you want to swap.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:47:46 AM by xshen »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for scion wood (for stone fruits)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:24:28 PM »
You're in Glendora, CA?  I'm in Covina. The only remaining scion exchange I know of is West LA in Culver City. It's Saturday morning if you want to go see. I've seen some of your varieties at various exchanges over the last several weeks. But I'm somewhat anti stone fruits so I didn't take any.
I can take some if I see any there. But I REALLY don't know what's what for stone fruits.

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 10:57:53 AM »
You're in Glendora, CA?  I'm in Covina. The only remaining scion exchange I know of is West LA in Culver City. It's Saturday morning if you want to go see. I've seen some of your varieties at various exchanges over the last several weeks. But I'm somewhat anti stone fruits so I didn't take any.
I can take some if I see any there. But I REALLY don't know what's what for stone fruits.

I am not a member of the group but I would love to join.  Next Saturday is the begining of the new lunar calendar and we wont be able to attend.

I just snooped around their website and it looks like you guys are having a lot of fun at the meets.  Especially the grafting sessions.  If you plan on attending next Saturday's meet, I would greatly appreciate it if you can snatch a few scion woods for me.

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 01:33:08 PM »
I can help with some of those, PM me with a list of what you are looking for.

Richard

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 03:47:32 PM »
Xshen, the foothill one is closest to you in Arcadia. They had lots of apricots last weekend, and other stone fruits. That one meets only every 2 months though.
I'd imagine the LA and OC ones are far for you unless you work there or happen to go that way on the weekend.

I tried grafting apricot for the first time last weekend and the wood on the small twig of a scion was tougher than I imagined. Normally I do cherimoya, white sapote and soft things like that.

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 04:23:43 PM »
Xshen, the foothill one is closest to you in Arcadia. They had lots of apricots last weekend, and other stone fruits. That one meets only every 2 months though.
I'd imagine the LA and OC ones are far for you unless you work there or happen to go that way on the weekend.

I tried grafting apricot for the first time last weekend and the wood on the small twig of a scion was tougher than I imagined. Normally I do cherimoya, white sapote and soft things like that.

There was a scion exchange meet on Feb 2 that I just missed in the Arcadia chapter. 

I did obtain a few royal apricot scions and grafted them right before the frost hit us.  The apricots are now coming out of dormacy and started to push through the parafilm.  So far, it looks like all four apricot grafts took.  I also did about 10+ cherry grafts.  They are also starting to push through the parafilm.  Stone fruits seem to take pretty easily.  I haven't had one that failed yet.  I also did a few atemoya grafts before the frost.  Some started to push and even had close to an inch of growth but they turned black and brittle after the frost.  I will try again in a few weeks.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 11:22:48 PM »
I got a couple sticks of Geffner from Arcadia if you want to try it. Will go back to Covina after the WLA exchange Saturday.

xshen

• View Profile
Re: Looking for scion wood (for stone fruits & mulberry)
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 04:22:24 PM »
I am now looking for some scion wood for Persian or Pakistan mulberry too.  Please let me know if you have budwood to share.

Thanks.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 06:21:29 PM »
Do you have a tree already or are you going to root the mulberry cuttings?

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 06:27:28 PM »
Hey Fang,

I have 2 dormant trees on the ground now.  One is about 5' the other is about 2'.
These are wild seedlings.  The variety is unknown.

Do you have a tree already or are you going to root the mulberry cuttings?

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 11:46:53 AM »
Thanks to Rtreid(Richard) for his generosity, I got all the scion wood I need for the pluots, nectarines, and cherries.

I am still looking for some mulberry scions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk