Author Topic: Seed sources  (Read 5472 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Seed sources
« on: April 24, 2013, 08:43:16 AM »
I'm about to do a round of seed-buying for my indoor tropical plant collection. I normally prefer live plants, but it's just so hard to get live plants up here to Iceland; at this point in time, it's going to be seeds, which are easy to get a permit for. I'm wondering if you all could recommend a good source for exotic tropical seeds. I've bought seeds from various suppliers in the past; sometimes I get high germination rates, sometimes essentially nothing germinates, and I imagine a big part of it is how fresh the seeds are.

Also, what plants would you *not* recommend growing from seed - that is to say, I know that a lot of plants are *best* to grow from cuttings (monoembryonic mango, for example), but what is so unlikely to work out well (for example, 90% odds of taking 15 years to produce a gross-tasting fruit) that it's not even worth bothering? It's not impossible to get live plants up here, but it's difficult. They either have to be very little and snuck in in one's luggage (which requires a bit of luck, and of course it means I already must have an overseas trip planned, which due to various factors hasn't been possible recently), or be exported from a licensed grower with an export permit who's willing to go through the trouble of exporting to Iceland (there aren't many and they can be expected to charge a premium, on top of what will already be very high shipping costs).

(My parents are coming in June, mind you, so it might be possible if I ask really nicely to convince them to try to sneak a couple live plants to me, if they're small enough.  But I know they won't be like me and take 4-foot trees on a plane or 20 plants to a suitcase or whatnot  ;)  )

I haven't been on the forum for a while, so just a quick update: when last I was here a number of my plants had died from a combination of spider mites and an adverse reaction to my control mechanism. Thankfully, there's been no more bad news and everything that made it is doing great. For example, banana has pupped three times, my barbados cherry is monstrous and in bloom, and my goldenberries have fruit on them. Yeay! :) And some plants pretty much came back from the dead, like my passionfruit, which on top of everything else also had developed scale. It's now regrown so much that I wouldn't be surprised to see it try flowering again in a month or two.

Oh, and I'm in the planning stages of building a home, and I've got all sorts of fun ideas for my plants - my favorite of which is to have all of the primary home lighting have to filter through the leaves of adjacent plants (in floodable chutes) before entering the house, so 100% of the light emitted is used either for growth or home lighting.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:14:11 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Seed sources
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 09:01:17 AM »
Hi KarenRei,

I can give you a few suggestions not because I know a lot but because of personal experience - I also grow fruit plants indoors in pots. I would like to suggest some nice Eugenia species and red jaboticaba - should fruit for you rather quickly.  I grow both inside and even without any kind of artificial lighting or special care they are very healthy with continuously new growth.

Tomas

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 12:21:10 PM »
Thanks.  Any suggestions on seed suppliers?  Any plants that would be hopless to try?

Also I was thinking about mangos, since I lost my carrie right after she bloomed  (:þ).  Any recommended polyembryonics I could try (remember: indoor-only pot-grown, so nothing that can't be gotten to fruit at under 30 feet or the like  ;)  )?  I'm thinking maybe I should start a bunch and then narrow down later.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 01:29:47 PM »
tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=204.0

Here is a list of seed sources. Hope it helps.

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 01:39:38 PM »
Hi KarenRei,

Perhaps you can get an Import Permit for plant material like scions, if Island issues those? Then you can from from seeds and then happily graft yourself.

Tomas

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 02:58:28 PM »
Unfortunately, scions are just as restricted as rooted plants.  They'd probably easier to sneak, mind you, esp. if fully devoid of obvious vegetation.  Could dress it up as any wooden object, really.  But that's not an option now.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 07:17:03 PM »
Hi Karen, welcome back to the forum. I was just wondering where you disappeared to and asked about you on the forum? I missed your fun Icelandic posts.  8)
I'm not going to recommend tropical fruit seed sources because i'm obviously prejudiced on that topic.  :D  What i will recommend is that you be very careful about the times that you order seeds. A great majority of tropical fruit seeds are killed by even just a few minutes of freezing in transit. (Extremes of hot temperatures are also detrimental to seeds for those of you living in hot tropical places.) For very short lived seeds it helps germination rates to use express mail service.
Oscar

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 09:55:27 PM »
I have only ordered seeds from tradewinds and have had good results - everything I ordered has germinated.  I have also received seeds from the (generous members of this) forum.  Are you looking for a single source?  Anything in particular you're looking for?  I'd be happy to share some avocados and guava if you're looking for them.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 11:18:07 PM »
Haha, yes, I've been browsing your site too  ;)  BTW, do you have any "unusual" ordering options?  Say, a discounted grab-bag of whatever you happen to have in surplus (a couple of A, a few of B, several C, etc), or perhaps on seeds that are old enough that their germination rate will be reduced (but still possible)?  Also, are only seeds that say "available" available, or are seeds that say that they're ready in april or may possible to order?  What happens if something is ordered but it can't be filled?

Seeds will be sent to Houston - no risk of freeze - and then flown to Iceland on carryon baggage in summer.  Again, no freeze risk.  :)  The sensitive issue will be time, of course.  If they get to Houston after June 6th (5th, really), they're worthless.

- kv, Karen

Hi Karen, welcome back to the forum. I was just wondering where you disappeared to and asked about you on the forum? I missed your fun Icelandic posts.  8)
I'm not going to recommend tropical fruit seed sources because i'm obviously prejudiced on that topic.  :D  What i will recommend is that you be very careful about the times that you order seeds. A great majority of tropical fruit seeds are killed by even just a few minutes of freezing in transit. (Extremes of hot temperatures are also detrimental to seeds for those of you living in hot tropical places.) For very short lived seeds it helps germination rates to use express mail service.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 11:34:50 PM »
Haha, yes, I've been browsing your site too  ;)  BTW, do you have any "unusual" ordering options?  Say, a discounted grab-bag of whatever you happen to have in surplus (a couple of A, a few of B, several C, etc), or perhaps on seeds that are old enough that their germination rate will be reduced (but still possible)?  Also, are only seeds that say "available" available, or are seeds that say that they're ready in april or may possible to order?  What happens if something is ordered but it can't be filled?

Seeds will be sent to Houston - no risk of freeze - and then flown to Iceland on carryon baggage in summer.  Again, no freeze risk.  :)  The sensitive issue will be time, of course.  If they get to Houston after June 6th (5th, really), they're worthless.

- kv, Karen

Hi Karen, available means i have them on hand right now or wil veryl soon have them on hand. The months given are usual months of production, but can vary from year to year. Don't have grab bags. Most of your other questions are answered right on the seed page after the listing of seeds. If you still have questions after reading that please email me. Thanks,
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 12:08:01 AM »
Unfortunately, no interest in avocado or guava.  :(

Anyone know if it's still possible to order seeds from here?  The form seems disabled:

http://www.guaycuyacu.net/seed_sell.html

I have only ordered seeds from tradewinds and have had good results - everything I ordered has germinated.  I have also received seeds from the (generous members of this) forum.  Are you looking for a single source?  Anything in particular you're looking for?  I'd be happy to share some avocados and guava if you're looking for them.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 12:10:46 AM »

Anyone know if it's still possible to order seeds from here?  The form seems disabled:

Jim West told me that he would only be taking seed orders from prior customers, so if you have ordered from him before then it's ok.
Oscar

Vlk

• Czech Republic
    • View Profile
    • exoticke-pestovani.webnode.cz
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 06:23:11 AM »

Jim West told me that he would only be taking seed orders from prior customers, so if you have ordered from him before then it's ok.
That's a shame :-( I tried to order durio kutejensis from him but he didn't reply.
Durian & avocado lover

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 10:22:46 AM »
Big shame.  He seems to have both the best selection and the best prices.  :(  And a lot of the seasons of his plants are different from those elsewhere due to the different location.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 04:32:52 PM »
I think his work load was just getting too big and that his way of trying to reduce orders to manageable levels. No seed source stays in business for ever, and we are all getting older, so get em while you can!
The trend for rules on importing seeds also gets more and more strict as time goes along. Another reason to get em while you can!
Oscar