Author Topic: Rollinia pollination  (Read 7598 times)

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Rollinia pollination
« on: January 12, 2014, 05:03:18 PM »
I've been asked about Rollinia hand pollination a few times the last few weeks, so I thought i'd put up a few pictures to illustrate it a bit. I was hoping to do a quick video, but haven't had the time and a second person to shoot. Anyhow, I'll try to guide you through the pics

first step is being able to identify your flowers. here is a pic of a male and female next to each other. This happens very rarely on my tree, but later in the season i get male and female crossing over a little. Earlier in the season i get females one day and males the next, or even the day after as its a 2-3 day cycle. Female is on the left and is slightly greener and has a very small opening to the flower. the male on the right is a stronger yellow and is open a bit wider. if you are used to other annona (Atemoya, cherimoya and sugar apple) then the difference between small and large opening on rollinia will seem fairly subtle, but if you observe them for a while you'll easily work it out.

If you want to check you have worked out your males from females, then just remove one of the 'Mickey Mouse ears' petals to check on the internal organs. Female first then male:

So, once you can identify your males from females you can go about transferring pollen from the males to the females. Often you will need to collect pollen one night, then store it in the fridge for 24-36 hours, then come back to pollinate the females as they flower on different days. there will be some crossover during the later season, but the majority of flowers are in different stages on different days.

I collect the pollen from the males by removing the entire outer flower structure and letting it fall into a small chinese style container made of stainless steel. I then store in the fridge overnight and come out the next evening with my trusty small tipped natural fibre paint brush and find my female flowers. The opening is too small to get the paint brush tip in, so you should remove one of the 'Mickey mouse ears' which gives access to the inner flower. Then get a bit of pollen on your brush (usually mixed with the stamen)  and get it onto the sticky part inside the flower (ovary? these guys don't have stigma, do they?). Then move to the next one. Removing one of the petals allows you to mark the ones you've pollinated to check how effective you've been.

I dont pollinate the next day, so I don't remove the petals of the ones I've pollinated, so i can check how its gone. Hopefully in a few days you'll get this

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Rollinia pollination
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 08:11:52 PM »
Thank you very much!!!  That was very helpful.

maui guy

• hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 08:36:49 PM »
That is really terrific.  Thanks so much.
rich

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 08:41:50 PM »
Bookmarked, thanks, Bmc.
Thera

maui guy

• hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 04:56:33 PM »
thanks that has made a BIG difference.

Now got to try to graft the more productive ones; have one that seems to be non-stop flowering & is a short compact tree.  On ward & up ward [ but not too high]

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 12:32:52 AM »
Do you include some type of dessicant in the container that you refrigerate pollen in?
Har

Mick Tree

• Maryborough
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:29:53 AM by Mick Tree »

rtdrury

• Mount Dora, FL, USA, US hardiness zone 9A/9B
    • View Profile
    • The Love Plan
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 07:55:46 PM »
I've successfully pollinated my Sugar Apple flowers here in central Florida, and am working on my Rollinia flowers now.  There does not seem to be a need to try to identify male/female Rollinia flowers.  It appears that every flower on my tree goes through first the female stage from early morning (?) to mid-afternoon when it starts morphing into the male stage and then the pollen is ready near dusk.  This morphing seems to start with the center (2 to 3 mm diameter circle) of the flower turning dark, before the fuzzy stamens emerge.  I suspect the female part is receptive when the flower first opens with the narrow slits and is no longer receptive beyond the start of this morphing.  But I haven't proven with successful pollinations yet exactly when during this span of time the female pistils are really receptive, so I'm going to brush pollen on them when the flower first opens, and the brush them again in the early afternoon before they morph.  I'm getting flower flushes in both winter and late summer here.  My insects are not carrying pollen over night so I have to hand pollinate.  I wonder which insect carries it overnight in the tropics?  Perhaps the female-stage flowers are receptive right after dusk so that tiny insects move it between adjacent flowers right after dusk or through the night.  I will have to check this possibility.  It would be nice to not have to store the pollen over night.

I think all of the flowers on my rollinia tree open as female one morning, and morph into male the next day afternoon, as opposed to the same afternoon.

I'm updating on 11-5-17 to say my hand pollination didn't bear fruit.  But to my surprise, ongoing natural pollination has so far produced five small fruits after I stopped hand pollinating.  The hand pollination coincided with hot/wet weather, while the fruitful natural pollination coincided with cooler/dry weather.  These are small fruits so I'm not sure if they'll mature at this point.  I planted this tree about 2 years ago and so far no fruit, just so you know the context.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 07:19:49 PM by rtdrury »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 08:11:09 PM »
Thank you very much!!!  That was very helpful.

I concur.  My rollinia should flower for the second time and I'm gonna be all over it.  I also suspect the males might become females...

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 07:28:03 PM »
thank you for posting this thread, the info, and helpful pics. Just harvested a bunch of pollen and will be ready the next couple of nights. can almost taste success.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 05:16:39 PM »
Finally got a chance earlier this year after seeing this thread to figure out hand pollinating my Rolli...........for first time had 4 fruit set..........sadly they were getting large, but not mature yet and Hurrican Irma decided to take care of them........Rollinia lost almost all her leaves,,,,,,,,,,,,,good news is she threw a flush and a bunch of flowers, so hoping to pollinate soon

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 01:42:58 PM »
Very thanks! do you know if rollinia emarginata and/or sylvatica need to do hand pollination too? Last year they had a lot of flowers but no fruit set!
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 10:16:10 PM »
Extremely helpful thank you very much!
How old is your tree? Is it a seedling? What's its size?
Lorenzo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk