Author Topic: White Jade Pineapple  (Read 75620 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: White Jade Pineapple
« Reply #250 on: September 19, 2017, 09:05:45 AM »
My girls get Polyon 18-4-9 when first dressed......or nothing at all.  ;) 

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 19, 2017, 01:38:37 PM »
Some water and nutrients will probably also be absorbed from in between the leaves.
Simon
Hawaiian commercial growers foliar feed in the cup using boom sprayers.  Water is applied via irrigation tubing.  Apparently the root system is more of an anchor than a part used for nutrient uptake by the plant.  My drill is to feed using Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro, 9-3-6 in the cup letting it overflow into the pot with a two gallon bucket.   https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/f_n-7.pdf

BTW, I cut down to a 2" stub a mother plant that had fruited leaving the pup alone.  It's growing pretty fast.  I mean, why disturb it and the awesome established root system if you don't have to?
But is the root system important if it's just an anchor? :D

I'm still just a axillary bud on the Great Bromeliad of Knowledge, but I do question a lot of the conventional wisdom on pineapples. I did a post-harvest examination on my first fruiting plant, and it had a really well-developed root ball. In fact, it looked root-bound in the too-small pot that I'd used.

So to me it looks like the roots are important, even if the plant prefers foliar feeding.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 20, 2017, 01:38:15 AM »
I too have noticed tremendous root balls on my pineapples. I would have thought otherwise but have found that to be a constant. Chris
-Chris

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 20, 2017, 09:44:11 AM »

Am just parroting the pros, that's all.  My pineapples have big cajones too.

Like I said, I stir Polyon into the top inch or so of soil when I upcan.

Mark 

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 20, 2017, 02:46:05 PM »

Am just parroting the pros, that's all.  My pineapples have big cajones too.

Like I said, I stir Polyon into the top inch or so of soil when I upcan.

Mark

I'm still looking for a place i can get  Polyon  from i need to be able to have it shipped to me still no luck
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 21, 2017, 10:07:18 AM »
I'm still looking for a place i can get  Polyon  from i need to be able to have it shipped to me still no luck

As good if not better regarding the NPK and micros package.  Cheap too!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GTDGMHC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 21, 2017, 11:25:10 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GTDGMHC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks. I already have a bag of that I use it on some of my plants works great

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 21, 2017, 02:04:47 PM »

They raised the price.  It was under 15$ a few weeks ago.  Walmart has it for 15$ also.  That stuff is excellent for potted plants.  Probably in ground as well.  Good ratios.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 23, 2017, 10:36:48 AM »
They raised the price.  It was under 15$ a few weeks ago.  Walmart has it for 15$ also.  That stuff is excellent for potted plants.  Probably in ground as well.  Good ratios.

Hi Spaugh, supposed to be for potted plants only but I have put Polyon on literally thousands of Xmas tree liners, small/young grapevine grafts, 60 trees around the house....everything.  Helped plant a vineyard up the road and the owner bought a pallet.  We put a handful around 12,000 grapevines, just threw some on top of the soil.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 14, 2017, 10:43:55 AM »
Here is an update of my first White Jade Pineapple plant and Fruit. The slips and suckers are growing very large now, almost completely shading the fruit. The fruit doesn稚 seem to getting much larger and it appears as if some of the eyes are starting to lighten up in color but it should still have about another two months to grow according to the six month rule.

One of my friends has a pineapple plant with a fruit on it that was close to ripening and an animal cake by and nibbled on the bottom of the pineapple. My plant has slips and suckers at the base and these baby plants have very sharp pointed leaves that acts like a barrier, or at least I hope they will.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 14, 2017, 10:52:07 AM »
I just checked when I first noticed the flower stalk and it was around June 12 so the fruit should be ready somewhere around December 12. My climate is marginal for Pineapples and it痴 starting to get cold here at night. Nightly lows are around 57-59 now but the daily highs can still get up into the upper 80s. I wonder if the big differences between the daily highs and lows will affect the fruit quality?

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 14, 2017, 02:41:42 PM »
There looking great Simon can't wait to see how it turns out... if you still have two months to go still and your worried it
won't get any bigger than you should remove some of the slips maybe the ones around the crown and just replant them

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 14, 2017, 02:53:48 PM »
I though about that but felt that the slips might protect the fruit from animals. I知 not too concerned about the size of this first fruit. For my next fruiting, I will remove most clones and try to get a bigger fruit. The slips around the crown also seem to protect the fruit from sunburn.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 23, 2017, 10:53:05 PM »
Sad sad day today. I just got back from Thanksgiving dinner at the in laws house and found my White Jade pineapple fruit had snapped off at the stalk. We have had unusually warm weather, it was 91F, and it appearsappears that the warmth stimulated excessive growth of the many tops which caused the stalk to snap. This fruit still had about another month before it is supposed to be ripe according to the 6 month rule.

At least I got 6 large clones from the base of the fruit and another 9 smaller clones from the base of the crown. This fruit is still very green and has pointy eyes so I知 not expecting much in terms of sweetness and flavor from it. If it痴 too sour, I値l just take a miracle fruit before eating the fruit.

In hind site, I should have supported the Fruit when I saw it leaning over a bit. I知 hanging it upside down for one day before I cut it up because it still has a large piece of stalk attached to it which may still provide a bit of sugar.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 24, 2017, 08:42:41 AM »
Sad sad day today. I just got back from Thanksgiving dinner at the in laws house and found my White Jade pineapple fruit had snapped off at the stalk. We have had unusually warm weather, it was 91F, and it appearsappears that the warmth stimulated excessive growth of the many tops which caused the stalk to snap. This fruit still had about another month before it is supposed to be ripe according to the 6 month rule.

At least I got 6 large clones from the base of the fruit and another 9 smaller clones from the base of the crown. This fruit is still very green and has pointy eyes so I知 not expecting much in terms of sweetness and flavor from it. If it痴 too sour, I値l just take a miracle fruit before eating the fruit.

In hind site, I should have supported the Fruit when I saw it leaning over a bit. I知 hanging it upside down for one day before I cut it up because it still has a large piece of stalk attached to it which may still provide a bit of sugar.

Simon

Man that really sucks that it broke off....it should have been staked up to support it...hopefully next time will work out better
you have alot of offsets to grow now.

Eating unripe pineapple or drinking unripe pineapple juice is dangerous, reports the horticulture department at Purdue University. In this state, it is toxic to humans and can lead to severe diarrhea and vomiting

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 24, 2017, 08:48:43 AM »
Sorry to hear that Simon!  :(  You folks have really had a tough time lately with the heat, arrrgghhh.  I sometimes stake and some use small tomato cages for supports.  Glad to hear you got lots of clones.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 24, 2017, 04:21:20 PM »
Thanks Jimmy and Mark,

I will be cautious with the unripe Pineapple but I知 verycurious to see how it tastes so I知 going to take one for the team and try at least one piece. I値l update with how it turns out if I survive!

Simon

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 24, 2017, 07:43:28 PM »
Sorry to hear of your lost Simon, after growing pineapples in my G.H. or many years now I've learned that it's best to stake pineapple fruit as they tend to droop when getting fully ripe!! :( 8) But then again you've got a little plant that could and gave you many pup's !!!! 8)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 24, 2017, 08:12:59 PM »
Thanks Scott,

I have several White Jades that are huge and should Fruit very soon, probably this Winter. I also have this small White Jade Fruit that is a bit of a runt. This plant was recently separated from its 8 other sisters that were all cramped into one large pot.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 25, 2017, 08:27:58 AM »
Thanks Scott,

I have several White Jades that are huge and should Fruit very soon, probably this Winter.

Is it me or is White Jade a naturally big bromeliad?  Mine are getting well over 3' across.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: November 25, 2017, 11:10:53 AM »
Mine is like 5' tall.  ;D

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 25, 2017, 07:25:29 PM »
Thanks Scott,

I have several White Jades that are huge and should Fruit very soon, probably this Winter.

Is it me or is White Jade a naturally big bromeliad?  Mine are getting well over 3' across.
Indeed they seem to be BIG bromeliad with possible multi-pups!

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 25, 2017, 09:09:42 PM »
How long do they take to bloom mine are huge but no pineapple, they are about 13-15 months, thanks

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 25, 2017, 10:10:49 PM »
It took mine about three years to fruit but it was neglected and I live in a marginal climate for Pineapples. It should take about 18 months in general.

I have one White Jade that is huge, maybe 5 feet across. Hopefully this means it will produce a large fruit. I致e got many pineapple plants now and soon I値l be able to compare the White Jades vs Kuai White Sugarloaf vs the spiny White Sugarloaf.

I decided to let this fruit hang for a bit before attempting to eat it because the fruit is still very green and firm with absolutely no smell to it. I値l probably cut it open tomorrow night. I知 not expecting this fruit to be edible but I知 still eager to try the fruit.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 26, 2017, 08:26:20 AM »
How long do they take to bloom mine are huge but no pineapple, they are about 13-15 months, thanks

Hi if your pineapple plant hasn't flowered already and there as big as they are than you can always try to force them to flower