Author Topic: Lakoocha  (Read 1287 times)

ChiliChameleon

• USA, Florida, Miami
    • View Profile
    • PenuLunn Farms
Lakoocha
« on: May 21, 2020, 05:08:28 PM »
Anyone here have experience with growing Lakoocha? Fruit and spice park has a decent size tree, but I've noticed most the fruits fail to form completely? Maybe a pollination issue?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Lakoocha
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 06:50:43 PM »
I grow lakoocha. I'm guessing you are probably looking at male flowers. They look like small orange round fruits, but are actually male flowers. They come out first, and the females come out later. Here is a photo of the male fruits:

Oscar

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 09:19:36 PM »
I have two lakoocha trees that for years have only produced male flowers.  I really don’t know why I still have them.
Peter

ChiliChameleon

• USA, Florida, Miami
    • View Profile
    • PenuLunn Farms
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 10:09:51 PM »
This is first year I've seen actual fruit produced on this particular tree, yeah I guess it was only mostly making male flowers before, look like the fruit but are small and empty inside. The fruit was pretty delicious like a subacid jackfruit taste. Any ideas on the cold tolerance? This tree is growing in a green house, but I wonder if it's actually necessary in South Florida at least

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 11:26:27 AM »
I have heard people say it is very cold tolerant, more so than Kwai Muk. In one video I believe Adam from Flying Fox Fruits said it could grow in Georgia. I have been wanting to try it in Northern California for that reason. Would you be willing to sell some of the seeds from your fruit, or maybe from a future one?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 11:28:33 AM »
I have heard people say it is very cold tolerant, more so than Kwai Muk. In one video I believe Adam from Flying Fox Fruits said it could grow in Georgia. I have been wanting to try it in Northern California for that reason. Would you be willing to sell some of the seeds from your fruit, or maybe from a future one?

Wow never knew it was that cold hardy!

ChiliChameleon

• USA, Florida, Miami
    • View Profile
    • PenuLunn Farms
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 02:15:34 PM »
I highly recommend the fruit, especially if you're into the subacid, not super sweet fruits like me. Yeah, unfortunately not my tree so I wouldn't be able to sell any seeds =( Will keep you posted if I'm come across other seed sources though

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 10:17:36 PM »
I sell seeds of lakoocha. No fruits right now. Male flowers only. So probably in about 6-8 weeks should have seeds available.
Oscar

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 11:25:58 PM »
I sell seeds of lakoocha. No fruits right now. Male flowers only. So probably in about 6-8 weeks should have seeds available.
I was going to post to ask you about this, Oscar.  So only 1 1/2 - 2 mos for the fruit to mature?  I've got a couple of lakoocha that have been flowering heavily for probably a couple of weeks now (looks like male & female flowers) so I was curious how long for the fruit to mature.  Have you fruited the varieties that Mike T sent seeds of a few years back?  How was the quality?

Thanks,
John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 03:01:45 AM »
I was going to post to ask you about this, Oscar.  So only 1 1/2 - 2 mos for the fruit to mature?  I've got a couple of lakoocha that have been flowering heavily for probably a couple of weeks now (looks like male & female flowers) so I was curious how long for the fruit to mature.  Have you fruited the varieties that Mike T sent seeds of a few years back?  How was the quality?

Thanks,
John
Hi John, i haven't timed how long they take to fruit. That is only my guess. No i haven't fruited Mike T's lakoocha.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk