Author Topic: shipping seeds  (Read 2084 times)

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
shipping seeds
« on: May 12, 2013, 07:13:46 AM »
Hello in a short while I am planning on shipping seeds out internationally and have never done it before and would like some tips on packaging and ways to ensure seed survival. I have heard about also using hydrogen peroxide to clean them and was wondering what would be the best ratio to water. Also any advice on best way to send mail or anything on the same subject matter. Also what sized packages and any other useful tips or advice. I'm in china and do not know what to expect.
Thanks for any help
Steven

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
Re: shipping seeds
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 10:10:06 AM »
Steve,

The best way is to get someone in the states that has a seed permit and ship them to their place (of course I would volunteer for that, haha). Depending on what seeds you are sending there are different methods.

Anyway, I have a friend going over there in a few weeks with a permit to bring live plants and scions back here, although I have to quarantine them for 2 years at my place. But the seeds you don't have to quarantine. I would sure like to get some of the jujubes barerooted back here.

Good luck, Mark in San Diego

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 06:43:36 PM »
Send some Myrica rubra seeds to someone with a permit in the states  ;D. Also some of those Mango Jujube seeds lol.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 07:15:45 PM »
Hello in a short while I am planning on shipping seeds out internationally and have never done it before and would like some tips on packaging and ways to ensure seed survival. I have heard about also using hydrogen peroxide to clean them and was wondering what would be the best ratio to water. Also any advice on best way to send mail or anything on the same subject matter. Also what sized packages and any other useful tips or advice. I'm in china and do not know what to expect.
Thanks for any help
Steven

Suggest sending lots of small packages rather than one large one. Better to use small box than envelope. Better yet to have someone that has small seed lot permit to send to. They will have to mail you green and yellow USDA address label to put on your package.
Oscar

johnnydougherty

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 01:42:19 AM »
To keep the seeds cool, it is ideal to have below 50 degrees. Some people store them in a box. Seeds in good condition and stored properly will last depending on the plant. I also suggest you find a friend of yours to help you with the shipping although it is better if you find a freight company like BRI parcel delivery in Australia to ship your package for a more safe and has a professional service for you.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:52:06 PM by johnnydougherty »

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 04:58:13 AM »
Id like to ship mango seeds this year domestically, would i need a seed permit for this?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 05:18:13 AM »
Id like to ship mango seeds this year domestically, would i need a seed permit for this?
Sending seeds of mango in USA is illegal due to mango weevil.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk