Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Mango Reviews

<< < (89/178) > >>

simon_grow:
Thanks for all the great reviews Joe and Brett! Have you guys considered purchasing a refractometer? You guys already give wonderful detailed reviews and Brix readings would be awesome information to have! I'd share mine with you but alas, I'm in California.

Simon

BrettBorders:
Harry,

To clarify, I found Emerald to have an excellent flavor, not a superlative or inspiring flavor (e.g., Fruit Punch http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6398.msg207108#msg207108)

my perspective:

Was it better than most of the mangos I tried at Fruit and Spice park? Yes, definitely.

Did I enjoy Emerald's taste more than some of the mangos at Gary Zill's tasting last Friday? Yes. If it had been included in the dozen or so mangoes there, I would have ranked it in the top 5.

I thought its best feature was the resin taste, which was bold like Bombay.

---

Simon,

Thanks for the tip on refractometers. A quick google search brings up some that are under $30? Do these work?

bsbullie:

--- Quote from: HMHausman on June 16, 2015, 07:01:41 PM ---I am getting fruit to maturity on my Emerald tree this year for the first time.  It is very hard to know when the mango is at full maturity and peak ripeness.  So far, I would agree with most of your description.  However, for me, I found the mango uninspiring as far as the use of any superlatives. Maybe I am yet to find the one really perfectly ripe fruit.  Stay tuned. I have a few more to experiment with

--- End quote ---

I was actually quitr confused by the description.   Sweet like orange juice or sour apples...well, sour apples, unless speaking of jolly rancher candy, is not sweet and the orange juice i drink is quite sweet.  Musky raspberry, grapes and shckingly tart.  Overall I would have pitched a fruit that tadtes like that to the scrap pile long before being completely consumed.

As for people now scraping the skin with your teeth while eating from hearing Gary speak...while some may want to sample the resinous tones as an identifier of the fruit,  it can also cause off putting flavors and in some cases, be an irritant to the mouth/throat of the person consuming.

gunnar429:

--- Quote from: bsbullie on June 17, 2015, 07:51:27 AM ---
--- Quote from: HMHausman on June 16, 2015, 07:01:41 PM ---I am getting fruit to maturity on my Emerald tree this year for the first time.  It is very hard to know when the mango is at full maturity and peak ripeness.  So far, I would agree with most of your description.  However, for me, I found the mango uninspiring as far as the use of any superlatives. Maybe I am yet to find the one really perfectly ripe fruit.  Stay tuned. I have a few more to experiment with

--- End quote ---

I was actually quitr confused by the description.   Sweet like orange juice or sour apples...well, sour apples, unless speaking of jolly rancher candy, is not sweet and the orange juice i drink is quite sweet.  Musky raspberry, grapes and shckingly tart.  Overall I would have pitched a fruit that tadtes like that to the scrap pile long before being completely consumed.

As for people now scraping the skin with your teeth while eating from hearing Gary speak...while some may want to sample the resinous tones as an identifier of the fruit,  it can also cause off putting flavors and in some cases, be an irritant to the mouth/throat of the person consuming.

--- End quote ---

amen! definitely a risk/reward situation.

BrettBorders:
Val-Carrie

I have tried Val-Carrie mangos from 3 different sources this summer and they all tasted identical. I bought this one at Tropical Acres Farms mango stand in West Palm Beach, FL:

My first impressions of this Val-Carrie were sweet and suave. Tastes like Carrie but it has another primary flavor I associate with dried apricot.  It can get creamy, too. When I got to the area right around the seed I had a brief flashback to eating Orange Creamsicles in my childhood. There is also a minor "carrot" element that suggests beta carotene content. The resin taste that comes at the end is fainter than in a Carrie, but it adds an important bit of contrast that completes this mango. There was no aftertaste. I knew it was an "excellent" mango because of how careful I was to eat every bit of it, not letting anything go to waste.

The skin of Val-Carrie looks interesting & 'slightly colorful' ripening up: you can tell it is a mixed race mango. The interior flesh texture is smooth and fine, maybe nicer than many popular mango cultivars. But not as soft as Carrie and it 'holds up' better.

Valencia Pride (top) & Val-Carrie (bottom)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version