Author Topic: 2019 MBBS (mango bacterial black spot) Report  (Read 5893 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 MBBS (mango bacterial black spot) Report
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2019, 07:10:47 PM »
Considering it can spread by wind or rain it is good to know an orchard isn't automatically overtaken once a tree develops MBBS.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2019, 12:05:07 PM »
Yah, and I'm still trying to determine the long term impact in different microclimates. What's weird is that I've had MBBS for several years (since 2011 / 2012 or so?) on a keitt whose entire crop would be lost pretty much every year (it wasn't until around 2017 that I finally figured out what was causing it). Yet, it's still been only a minor issue in my orchard of 30 some mango trees. This year, I've only really seen it on one of my LZ trees, where it's been an issue on less than 10% of the crop. I'm still not sure which of various factors has prevented its wide scale spread across my orchard: fortnightly copper sprays, keeping the trees well fertilized, microclimate factors, lack of rain this year, ...?

Same here. Ever since my LZ began fruiting, a small percentage would get affected by MBBS for the past several years and that's about it.  So far, only a small handful of LZ mangoes have been affected a few weeks back and I removed them. The rest of them look nice and I have eaten a couple of delicious fruits off my LZ tree so far recently. No need for me to get rid of it and/or top work it. :) My NDM #4 next to it also had MBBS (soft black spots oozing amber colored sap) affect some fruits. But, most of them were okay. The tree has been top worked to Pickering and I grafted a seedling in my yard to NDM #4.  One Pickering fruit runt got badly infected and the rest look great. A few of my Glenns have gotten infected also, but the majority look good. I always eliminate and properly dispose any mango that has some sort of an active bacterial spot infection.  I don't use any sprays and I still get to enjoy most of the fruits.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 05:33:08 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2019, 06:21:46 PM »
We're in SoCal don't have this problem. But hopefully this year we don't have 115F heat in July that boils the fruits.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2019, 11:58:29 AM »
Last year my Fairchild was hit pretty bad and my LZ had a few issues with MBBS. this year both produced way more fruit than last year, and not a single issue but one Fairchild that looks like it may have had it, pulled it from tree early.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk