Author Topic: Sugar Apple variety big red ?  (Read 2782 times)

vitiga

• FRANCE / NEW CALEDONIA
    • View Profile
Sugar Apple variety big red ?
« on: January 10, 2018, 05:08:38 AM »
About 3 years ago, I have bought 50 seeds of the " big red variety" from Adam, flying fox fruits nursery. Most of them have germinated pretty well and I have planted about 30 trees from those seedlings last year. This year (3 years later) I got most of them fruiting ( about 15 fruits per trees, hand pollinated for most of ) but unfortunately i can't see a single red one so far and most of are actually kind of purplish instead while a few are green or greyish and look pretty normal actually. I have planted last year a small sugar apple orchard among many others orchards with about 120 sugar apple trees. Most of the sugar apple trees I have planted in that orchard come from seeds I have purchased from different sources and countries over the years. I only have about 10 grafted trees ( seedless variety from the Philippines ) I brought back myself from the Philippines last year. Anyway, I just love that fruit and I am a little bit disappointed to do not have a single red one yet. May be the color is still going to change as they are still not fully mature yet. But right now they look purple to me and already got similar color variety in the collection. Anyway, will definitely know within a few weeks time but until then, please let me know what you think about it. Does that big red variety comes true to seed or not ? Here are a couple of pics to give you a better idea of what I am talking about.

Le Jardin aux Mille Fruits
La Coulée, New Caledonia

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Sugar Apple variety big red ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 09:19:28 AM »
I haven't fruited a sugar apple yet...they don't seem to grow well for me.
I would assume as the purple ones grow larger, the will turn red.
As for the green ones, I guess that's a product of sexual reproduction.
The red color may be a recessive trait.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 09:46:09 AM »
I haven't fruited a sugar apple yet...they don't seem to grow well for me.
I would assume as the purple ones grow larger, the will turn red.
As for the green ones, I guess that's a product of sexual reproduction.
The red color may be a recessive trait.
You're probably right that it's a recessive trait.  I had a little sugar apple tree started  from seed that was gorgeous, but Irma wiped it out.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:48:13 AM by johnb51 »
John

PrincessTigerLily

• US, San Diego CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 10:13:16 AM »
My dream orchard! 120 sugar apple, wow!  I love Sugar Apple. Your orchard looks beautiful!

Tropical Farmer

• Tropical Farmer
    • 11B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 01:55:08 PM »
I have several trees myself that the fruit actually starts out as green colour when they are small, then slowing turn purple about mid way of development, then finally more red when they are ripe. Maybe some of your trees are doing the same thing?
Jo

mangologist

• Capt Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 12:33:39 PM »
While I am aware that this is a rather old topic, I just wanted to add that I had a red and a green A squamosa.  They were planted on the south side of my home side by side.  Each year that they produced, they had about 10 to 12 fruit.  The green one was a bit more prolific.  After eating them both at one sitting many times, I could not detect the slightest difference in taste between the two, each was equally delicious!  The red one had it's beauty going for it, the green a bit more productive.  Sadly a prolonged cold snap kill them both! :o(

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 04:59:25 PM »
The purple color sounds about right for the "big red." When they get big enough, the color can lighten a little.

I have not noted any flavor differences between red and green.

Green leaf hopper stunts many species of annona here. Judging by the giant, beautiful leaves in your picture, you don't have leaf hoppers.
Jeff  :-)

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 05:39:41 PM »
Sorry to hijack the thread. We will be in Noumea, New Caledonia on October 24th one day only. : (  Will there be any good fruit in season at that time that I can try. Where would I find it? A super market or an outdoor market?
Thanks,
Renee

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 09:27:56 PM »
Noel aka FloridaGreenMan, Big Red/Green original propagator, said that Big Red is true to type unlike KM.
Thera