Author Topic: Earthquake on big island Ha. made new eruption Pahoa evacuated !!  (Read 52885 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake on big island Ha. made new eruption Pahoa evacuated !!
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2018, 05:47:18 PM »
Yeay, ash falls  :Þ  Well, at least they let out the pressure faster....  :Þ

Keep those plants hosed off as long as you're not forced out and as long as you have water...  :(   Ugh.....
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2018, 06:46:15 PM »
Just saw this:

Hawaii
Breaking NATIONAL GUARD JUST ORDERED A MASSIVE EVAC

BREAKING ON FOX NEWS

Evacuation affects about 1000 people on the island

This is not yet on place, authorities are on preparations to it due the danger of ashes, stronger explosive eruptions and big quantities of gas in the air.
This is all totally false. Fox News is the KING of fake news!
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2018, 06:49:55 PM »

Keep those plants hosed off as long as you're not forced out and as long as you have water...  :(   Ugh.....
Bad advice. Hosing plants off makes things worse. SO2 dissolves in water and turns into sulphuric acid which damages leaves. Plenty of SO2 about now. Best is to blow off the dust with a leaf blower. BTW, had zero ash fall here, but today is really bad SO2. Schools in the area all closed.
Oscar

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2018, 07:09:17 PM »
Stay safe Oscar, keep your masks close are you down to only coastal road now ?

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2018, 10:27:39 PM »

Bad advice. Hosing plants off makes things worse. SO2 dissolves in water and turns into sulphuric acid which damages leaves. Plenty of SO2 about now. Best is to blow off the dust with a leaf blower. BTW, had zero ash fall here, but today is really bad SO2. Schools in the area all closed.

Not according to the NZ government;

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/dmsdocument/137-volcanic-eruption-impacts-and-hazard-mitigation-for-new-zealands-primary-production-industries

But if you can get it off with air blowers, then great too  :)   

(H2O+SO3 = H2SO4, not H2O+SO2; SO2 has to oxidize first  :)  )
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2018, 11:04:34 PM »
Stay safe Oscar, keep your masks close are you down to only coastal road now ?
There are 2 ways out again, because they fixed the road close to my place, highway 130. But that seems like a very temporary fix to allow people to get their stuff out, metal plates over vents cannot support heavy trucks or equipment. The other road, the coastal road 137 is still open, but the lava is only 1 mile away and headed straight for it.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2018, 11:19:25 PM »

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/dmsdocument/137-volcanic-eruption-impacts-and-hazard-mitigation-for-new-zealands-primary-production-industries

What i said about blowing ash off is the recommendation of Japanese government. So i guess it depends on which government you want to believe?
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2018, 04:06:20 AM »

What i said about blowing ash off is the recommendation of Japanese government. So i guess it depends on which government you want to believe?

At least it's not like Mount Saint Helens when the US government itself was giving out contradictory advise to residents, depending on who was talking  ;)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2018, 07:27:55 AM »
Here are some photos i took today of some lava fountains.

You can see a video of that lava fountain here: https://www.facebook.com/oscarfruitlovers/videos/10216273800507817/
Oscar

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2018, 08:53:46 AM »
HVO has reported new fissure 21 down rift of Makamae St. in Leilani Estates. Several fissures reactivated. HVO reports pahoehoe lava flows. All Leilani residents be aware of new activity, downed power lines, higher levels of fumes.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2018, 08:54:53 AM »
Just saw this:

Hawaii

BREAKING ON FOX NEWS

This is not yet on place, authorities are on preparations to it due the danger of ashes, stronger explosive eruptions and big quantities of gas in the air.
Well i'm sorry. I try to find relevant info to post just to usefull.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2018, 07:40:27 PM »
Just saw this:

Hawaii

BREAKING ON FOX NEWS

Well i'm sorry. I try to find relevant info to post just to usefull.
Thanks, i know you mean well. But the people here in Hawaii are already very well informed. The civil defense department here puts out notices by email and on radio every few hours. A lot of the news outlets outside of Hawaii are putting out either completely false or alarmist news which is not helpful at all, except to themselves to get higher ratings.
Oscar

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2018, 10:33:08 PM »

At least it's not like Mount Saint Helens when the US government itself was giving out contradictory advise to residents, depending on who was talking  ;)
You know some might call that customized guidance, advice tailored to your needs and conditions.  Not some canned response to fit all situations.   :)

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2018, 09:32:45 AM »
Civil Defense message put out about 4 hours ago:

"This is a Civil Defense Message for Saturday, May 19 at 11:00 in the evening.

Hawaiian Volcano Observatory continues to monitor active flows. Flow front #1 has crossed Highway 137 at the 13-mile marker and has entered the ocean. Flow front #2 is approximately 400 M from Highway 137. Highway 137 is closed between Kamaili Road and Pohoiki Road. Kamaili Road is closed between Highway 130 and Highway 137. All persons are asked to stay out of the area.

The lava has entered the ocean. Be aware of the laze hazard and stay away from any ocean plume...."

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2018, 02:57:43 PM »
@APWestRegion
17m17 minutes ago
More
Hawaii's erupting volcano has produced a new danger for residents: A cloud of glass particles and hydrochloric acid as lava flows into the ocean.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2018, 03:03:06 PM »
Thanks, i know you mean well. But the people here in Hawaii are already very well informed. The civil defense department here puts out notices by email and on radio every few hours. A lot of the news outlets outside of Hawaii are putting out either completely false or alarmist news which is not helpful at all, except to themselves to get higher ratings.

We understand. Just take it as "people here care about you and the people near you, and are wishing you all the best"  :)  That's the reason we're doing our best to keep up with the news, even though it doesn't affect us personally.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2018, 05:51:11 PM »
You have twenty fissures but it seems not much lava flow from them. Not the kind of flow that swallows up thirty- one hundered houses in a day. It is best that the whole situation blows of dramatically to relive pressure. Then road repairs and home repairs etc. can be made and life can get back to normal.

I am going to take a better look at the geography ----  But off the top of my head, when the lava starts flowing into the ocean then the situation is getting serious

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2018, 08:14:45 PM »

We understand. Just take it as "people here care about you and the people near you, and are wishing you all the best"  :)  That's the reason we're doing our best to keep up with the news, even though it doesn't affect us personally.
Thanks for the concern. What i was trying to tell Luis is that i already get all these alerts from Civil Defense, and i get them before he does. Also i think i am the only one in this group in the lava area?
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2018, 08:25:01 PM »
You have twenty fissures but it seems not much lava flow from them. Not the kind of flow that swallows up thirty- one hundered houses in a day. It is best that the whole situation blows of dramatically to relive pressure. Then road repairs and home repairs etc. can be made and life can get back to normal.

I am going to take a better look at the geography ----  But off the top of my head, when the lava starts flowing into the ocean then the situation is getting serious
Hi Zands, there are currently 22 fissures, but not all active, i believe right now only 7 are active. About 3 of them are producing huge amounts of lava right now. 3 big rivers of lava headed for the ocean, and 2 of those lava rivers have already crossed the coastal road 137 and dumping lava into the ocean as of last night.Flowing into the ocean is not serious because that area there are no homes in its path. Also large volumes of magma coming out release pressure inside the piping system and make it less explosive and less dangerous. My place is on Kamaili road, which is now closed to all through traffic, including residents. I think they only allow residents out, but not back in. Hope they relax this policy in near future cause otherwise we are locked in for time being. Greatest danger right now is of over protective officials closing off all the roads. We are not in any current danger here except for high levels of SO2 gas, and that has been occuring for over a week, and we're well prepared for it.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2018, 08:30:41 PM »
Photo of glow in sky at night through almost completely defoliated santol tree. It is one of the more sensitive ones to the SO2.

Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2018, 08:38:32 PM »
Photo of glow in sky at night through almost completely defoliated santol tree. It is one of the more sensitive ones to the SO2.

*Looks at the santols on my counter*
*Looks at that poor tree*
*Sad face  :(  *

Hope the fissures closest to you are the ones that decide to close up first.  Weak fissures never last very long, but I don't know which of the ones in this eruption are the weakest.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:41:40 PM by KarenRei »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2018, 08:45:28 PM »

*Looks at the santols on my counter*
*Looks at that poor tree*
*Sad face  :(  *

Hope the fissures closest to you are the ones that decide to close up first.  Weak fissures never last very long, but I don't know which of the ones in this eruption are the weakest.
Fissures closest to me, about 2 miles, are not active, and are downslope from me.
Oscar

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2018, 10:18:06 PM »
WOW, stay safe Oscar an hope with all the lava flowing that the pressure calms an hopefully Pele rest's. Sounds like your trapped but I'm sure your prepared for the long haul wishing you the best in a scary situation for sure.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2018, 11:34:44 PM »
WOW, stay safe Oscar an hope with all the lava flowing that the pressure calms an hopefully Pele rest's. Sounds like your trapped but I'm sure your prepared for the long haul wishing you the best in a scary situation for sure.
Good news is that they opened back up the road we are on, so we are not trapped right now.
Oscar