Author Topic: help: carrie mango tree leaves are drying up at the tips  (Read 4505 times)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
all the leaves on my carrie mango have dried up at the tips.  Is it too much water or not enough watering?

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: help: carrie mango tree leaves are drying up at the tips
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 04:02:45 PM »
There are far more people here who know a LOT more than me, but when one of my trees do something unexpected I ask myself...

1 What have I done recently that may have caused it (like move / transplant or change some condition like remove a nearby shading tree or spray somdthing on it)
2 What did I NOT do (like water ) that I should have
3 I Do NOT knee jerk  and start overwatering and fertilizing

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 04:50:32 PM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 06:36:23 PM »
A picture will help with diagnosis.

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 06:38:35 PM »
Need pictures.   How often are you watering?  Potted or in ground?  How old is the tree?  If in a pot, pot size and soil type?  Where is tree, full sun?  What has weather been like?
- Rob

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 09:09:34 PM »
odd, i was using firefox and it didn't give me the add image option. Chrome has the option. Here's the e pictures. every single leaves has that buring tip. Thanks in advance.

I water it everyday. took them out of the pot about 3-4weeks ago and put it into the ground. Soil is compost mixed with barkchips.

It has full sun about 8hrs/day. Weather is about 60-80F during the day. Night time could get as low as 43-50F. 

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 11:09:02 PM »
Your tree is ok. Typical SoCal cold damage with possible slight fertilizer burn. What rootstock do you have your tree on? If it's on Florida Turpentine rootstock, expect it to grow slow. On Florida rootstock, you may also start seeing chlorosis once the new roots start expanding out into the new soil. The Florida rootstock really hates high pH soil with clay in it. It also doesn't grow well in cool weather.

Simon

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 11:47:22 PM »
possibly salt injury.  not necessarily sodium chloride type salt, but potassium chloride.  check your fertilizer to see if it uses "muriate of potash" to supply potassium.  muriate of potash is another name for potassium chloride.  mangos don't like chloride.  see if you can find a fert with putassium sulfate instead.  mangos like supfur.
treefrog land and cattle company

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 12:11:51 AM »
The soil composition sounds to be too rich for mango roots. You are likely overwatering on daily regime which leads to waterlogged condition. Hence, the tree is declining.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 12:52:26 AM »
I see a few potential problems.  The tree looks mighty small plus it looks like it just bloomed.   Was it in full sun  for 8 hours a day before planting it?  What did the root system look like?  Was it developed  when you took it out of the pot?  The amendments you planted it in are not great for a mango.  And lastly, watering every day with the temps you describe is too much water.

Did you add any type of fertilizer in the hole when you planted it and have you added any fertilizer since planting?
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 12:58:32 AM »
possibly salt injury.  not necessarily sodium chloride type salt, but potassium chloride.  check your fertilizer to see if it uses "muriate of potash" to supply potassium.  muriate of potash is another name for potassium chloride.  mangos don't like chloride.  see if you can find a fert with putassium sulfate instead.  mangos like supfur.

I just recently learned about this, after  I applied a Palm fertilizer on my mango trees here in Hollywood Fla.  after looking deeper into the formulation, I then realized it had 3% chlorine.  only good thing, was I only applied half the recommended amount,  our soil is very sandy, and I hardly water my trees with with the hose,  so no city water and that chlorine.   tonight we are supposed to get some rain so hopefully it will leach most of it away.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 01:20:53 AM »
I wouldn't bet on any helpful rain tonight...dont think I would bet on any rain at all tonight.  More of the same here until hopefully Tuesday. 
- Rob

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 07:13:07 AM »
I wouldn't bet on any helpful rain tonight...dont think I would bet on any rain at all tonight.  More of the same here until hopefully Tuesday.

Rob, no remarks like its a Carrie and its  committing suicide just like it should !....... Lmao
Joe

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 08:33:59 AM »
Your tree is ok. Typical SoCal cold damage with possible slight fertilizer burn.
Simon

That would be my guess. The excess accumulation of salts shows at the leaf tip and then if bad enough will result in leaf margin burn and die back on any plant material.

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 10:05:43 AM »
Reclaimed water, if you use it to water the tree or grass nearby, could also be the culprit. It contains a lot of chlorides.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 05:10:23 PM »
I did add some coffee and ashes(from burning some woods) into the soil.  I thought they like them, no? I also added some organic fertilizer(bought it from costco)  to the top of the soil too.  When I took it out of the pot, I did not pay attention to the roots.
Should I redo the soil? 

Simon, I bought it from tropicalfruit and do not know the type of rootstocks. How can I tell the type of rootstock you're refering to?

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 06:18:16 PM »
I would be very careful with the Lye.  to much can raise the pH very fast.

from this website.
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-use-firewood-ash-as-fertilizer#b

Precautions to Take with Ash

Don't mix firewood ash with nitrogen fertilizers. Ammonia gas is created when high nitrogen fertilizers are mixed with alkaline materials, like wood ash.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 06:25:39 PM »
If it's from TT, it's likely on Florida Turpentine rootstock. You can expect lots of flowering on your tree with maybe one or two growth flushes a year if you are lucky. If you plant a mango on Florida Turpentine rootstock, the more vigorous varieties like LZ will do better.

Our cooler weather means that the leaves on our trees do not get renewed as often as they do in warmer climates like in Florida. My best advice if you want more than a few fruit from your tree is to plant mango seeds in your yard and graft the Carrie onto the seedling rootstock once the seedling has reached a decent size. I guess it will actually be top working the seedling. If you graft a young seedling mango in our cooler climate, chances are that it will try to flower the first or second year which will waste much of its energy.

Another alternative is to purchase trees grafted onto Lavern Manilla rootstock. JF and Behlgarden are a great resource and they sell cocktail trees with highly rated varieties grafted on. The trees grafted onto Manilla rootstock will also try to flower but they adapt better to our soils here in SoCal.

You can save a lot of time and energy by using something other than Florida Turpentine rootstock. BTW, I have a Carrie on Florida Turpentine rootstock and it's hardly growing, it keeps wanting to bloom and hates my soil. I planted seedlings next to it and grafted Venus onto the seedling. I expect the much younger grafted Venus to overtake the Carrie in a couple years.

Simon

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 10:24:22 PM »
The soil composition sounds to be too rich for mango roots. You are likely overwatering on daily regime which leads to waterlogged condition. Hence, the tree is declining.

I concur.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 11:39:57 PM »
I guess I love them to death. hee heee..  Ok, I'll neglect them for a few days and see how it's doing. I was trying to give it lots of nutrients because it was constantly pushing out new blooms. 

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 08:11:00 AM »
As mentioned wood ashes aka lye is not good for the soil's pH.  I'd flush with rainwater and proceed with a mild fertilizer drench preferably one that is acidic.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 08:34:31 AM »
Those dying tips look to me like blooms and not new growth, at least from the picture that's what I'm seeing...best of luck! Remove those dead bloom spikes and hopefully in a few weeks ( water regularly) it will get new growths.

BTW, I used to live in Redwood City many years ago. My Dad still lives there ..I never considered growing a mango tree for him in his backyard   ;)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:37:03 AM by puglvr1 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk