Author Topic: Best tasting Mangos of 2016  (Read 22567 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Best tasting Mangos of 2016
« on: July 22, 2016, 07:24:27 PM »
Thanks to BrettBorders for starting one of my favorite threads from 2015. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16992.0

I just wanted to start the same topic going for the 2016 season while Mangos are still fresh in our minds. Please post taste reports and pictures of your favorite Mangos this year.

My favorites so far this year have been
1) Kesar- medium sized fruit that has a perfume that will attract strong Indian resin flavored mango lovers from all around. This mango has everything going for it. It grows great, seems resistant to disease and grows well on several rootstocks that I've tested so far. You can even pick it mature green and it will still reach 20% Brix with an excellent sugar acid balance that is well refined. The sweetness of this mango is not sickening like some of the ultra sweet varieties and I have eaten 6 of these mangos at one sitting on several occasions. I've even left several mangos that were firm ripe in the refrigerator for 2 weeks and they still came out perfect. After eating many varieties of Mangos at a recent mango tasting, the extremely complex Indian resin, slightly piney terpene flavor still stood out in my mind above all others except perhaps DOT. It was too close to call so I'm going to say it was a tie for first place.
1) DOT- good sized, good looking mango with exceptional flavor. It has the classic tropical mango taste x10 with the perfect balance of sweetness and acidity.
2) Sweet Tart- small mango that packs a punch. I felt that Sweet Tart was a notch below DOT in terms of complexity of the acidic notes. ST was one dimensional sour like sour patch gummies with excellent sweetness but DOT had more of a broad of range of acidic notes and turpenes.
3) Lemon Zest- the early fruit was bland and low in Brix, around 18%, but the mid season fruit was amazing with Brix of 26%! The fruit at this level of sweetness was almost too much and I don't recommend eating them on an empty stomach. To be honest, I now understand why people say it's not just about the sweetness of a mango but that was never the point with my Brix readings. I wouldn't be able to eat more than a couple LZ at 26% Brix, perhaps if they were a little less sweet, let's say around 20-24%, I could eat more of them in one day. At 26% Brix, I actually wish the fruit was more acidic.
4) Xaoi CAC/COC- a large mango that was a pleasure to eat because of the different flavor profile compared to the typical tropical mango flavor of many of the varieties of mangos out there. It was fiberless and had more complexity to it than NDM. I don't know exactly how to explain it but this mango had a bit of savory flavor to it, an earthy taste that was extremely subtle, not like guava but in that realm. This is maybe the second or third time Ive tasted this variety and it's definitely growing on me. The fruit I ate was slightly fermented on one side otherwise it may have ranked even higher.

Please share your favorites and pictures are greatly appreciated!

Simon

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting Mangos of 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 08:50:37 PM »
Simon,

#5 would have been J-12.  That tart component was a deciding factor for me too.
Warren

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 09:07:52 PM »
The sweet tart shouldn't have that much acidity. In fact, it should be nearly non acidic. It takes some experimentation to get it at the right stage. If picked too early or not allowed to fully ripen, then it's very sour. Otherwise, it should taste a bit like coca cola syrup.

A lot of the mangoes this year were below normal in terms of quality. More jelly seed than normal, and some mangoes were bland. This year's LZ crop on my 2 producing trees has been suffering from soft nose and corky flesh around the seed. And, a good portion have been "good" but not their normal "great."
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 09:51:53 PM »
Jeff is absolutely correct about the Sweet Tart.  It is intenselybsweet with a nuance of a zing to it.  It took me years of harvesting and tasting to determine beat stage to pick.

Anyway, since I haven't had any ripe Sweet Tarts yet, the following have been the best so far in 2016:

ZINC
Gary
Juicy Peach
Venus
Spirit of 76

Honorable mention:
Guava
Lemon Zest
Mahachanok
Pineapple Pleasure
Providence
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:59:46 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 10:38:43 PM »
I used a poor choice of words to describe Sweet Tart. It was extremely sweet but the tart component was not as complex as the DOT. I have been eating my Sweet Tarts on the slightly more ripe side so the sweetness outshines the acidity but I'm starting to feel that I want more tartness so in the future, I will eat it a day or two earlier. One thing I love about Sweet Tart is how firm the flesh is. Last year, Ashok sent me a Sweet Tart that was hard and green with only a shadowing of yellow and it ripened up perfectly. To me Sweet tart has a single acidic note where as DOT is a broad range of symphony of acidic notes.

I've noticed that I get more flavor of whatever variety if I scrape the flesh next to the skin of the mango. Even if the mango was subpar due to improper ripening or if it was picked too early or too late, you can get more flavor next to the skin.

Simon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 11:12:05 PM »

I've noticed that I get more flavor of whatever variety if I scrape the flesh next to the skin of the mango. Even if the mango was subpar due to improper ripening or if it was picked too early or too late, you can get more flavor next to the skin.

Simon

While I dont think anyone would disagree with you that there are differing flavors near and if scrapinv the flesh off of the skin, many do not actually like to acrape the flesh from the skin nor enjoy the sometimes found extreme resin near the skin.  And further, the mango's true varietal flavor does not require the skin scraping.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 12:28:04 AM »
Fruit Punch

Zinc

Guava

Pineapple Pleasure

valcarrie

any of these off year Zill's mangos would put an Indian Kesar to shame

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 12:33:24 AM by JF »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 01:00:06 AM »
I can't wait to try some of those picked right off my own tree in the coming years. Thanks for the Allstar lineup. How was the flavor profile of the Pineapple Pleasure? I've got two left hanging on my tree but I've got a long ways to go before they are ripe. I've heard one person describe it as a giant Sweet Tart in that it is really sweet but also has a great acidic component.

Simon

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 01:01:43 AM »

Simon

I like to scrape the skin of any mango to see what I will get...sometimes it is more intense flavors. Definitely worth a try on Lemon Zest for that elusive orange crush flavor. It varies from LZ to LZ.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 01:08:39 AM by zands »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 01:06:30 AM »
My surprise mango of 2016 is Nam Doc Mai. This year in S Florida is rainy so I find most mangoes a bit diluted compared to last year. But not nam doc mai. It has maintained and even seems better.
Good news for Carrie haters. Mine at least lack the medicinal taste due to the rain or other weather conditions. Definitely bland compared to last year which was dry as mangoes ripened.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 01:08:21 AM »
I can't wait to try some of those picked right off my own tree in the coming years. Thanks for the Allstar lineup. How was the flavor profile of the Pineapple Pleasure? I've got two left hanging on my tree but I've got a long ways to go before they are ripe. I've heard one person describe it as a giant Sweet Tart in that it is really sweet but also has a great acidic component.

Simon

Not really Sweet Tart like.  Basically like a mango crossed with a pineapple.   Very distinct pineapple flavor.  What I have seen that varies is the balance between sweet and pineapple and the amount of acidity.   This year they seem to be sweeter than in past and a lower acidic component but still has the pineapple flavor.
- Rob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 01:17:05 AM »

Simon

Simon
It's going to be awhile before we can grow PP or any 2-3lb mammoths with the consistency of South Florida. Profile:  sweet, acidic tart just delicious. I ate a piece at room temperature and it was chalky and sweet but I wasn't impress with the low brix20. I left the rest in the fridge overnight the brix jumped to 25 and I experienced the full flavor......I was blown away.   

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 01:19:38 AM »
Have not had a lot of different mangos so far this year but..... The best mango is the one I'm eating! It's way better then the one I'm not!!!!
Joe

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 08:25:38 AM »
Nice thread, Simon. Thanks for great analysis from you and others.

I was out of state for about 16 days, and I'm afraid I missed some of my favorite cultivars completely.  >:(

But the few I have tried in the last couple days have been superb; I'm told that the weather in my area was hot and dry while I was gone. I have several dead plants to support that.  At any rate, perhaps the dry weather has improved the flavor after a wet spring.

The Pineapple Pleasure I had was friggin delicious, as was the lone 36-8. The latter had coconut notes that I personally found far more enjoyable than the Coconut Creams I have tasted; the pineapple flavor probably helped in that regard.  My Dots are excellent now, far better than the ones I tasted at the beginning of July.

My Lemon Zests are not ready yet. The tree fruited poorly (after two good years in a row) but I have high hopes for the ones that did set.

This is the first year my Edgar fruited. The first couple I have tasted are sweet and rich, but have grassy / immature notes for which I had to deduct points.   These fruits are showing some sunken, black lesions near the stem end. I don't know how much this will affect eating quality.

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 09:58:39 AM »
It's not my best tasting mango, but 2016 has been the best year so far for my Nam Doc Mai. Has anyone else noticed their FL Nam Doc Mai's are extremely sweet this year? Mine taste like candy-off the charts sweet.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 05:15:32 PM »
It's not my best tasting mango, but 2016 has been the best year so far for my Nam Doc Mai. Has anyone else noticed their FL Nam Doc Mai's are extremely sweet this year? Mine taste like candy-off the charts sweet.
yup, the NDM's I have tasted locally from several different sources and at various degrees of ripeness including my tree have been off the charts fantastic ...
always longing for a JA Julie

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 09:58:06 PM »
I've only had a couple NDM this year so far, but they seem to be a little more flavorful than last year. I would call it more complex because it has a more acidic component and not just honey sweet. But it could be that I was eating it a little more green too.  :)

So far this year:

1. Lemon zest - just awsome lemon candy flavored! Still have some on the tree, tops are yellowing... I actually grafted LZ to three other trees for more production in upcoming years. Oh yeah!
2. Carrie - One of the best mangos ever! Let the harassment from the peanut gallery begin!! ;D ;D Just not able to get my hands on many this year... Also grafted Carrie to my Haden tree:)
3. Edward - Always a  delightful, smooth, creamy mango eating experience. Trying to graft Edward to Alphonso...
4. Bombay - Rich, juicy and delicious! 4 mangos left on tree although I bet the squirrels or racoons will take one tonight. Grrrrr!
5. NDM - Had one split, but it was still pretty tasty. Eaten in the mature green stage. 15 or so still on the tree waiting for full ripening. I've seen other people here complain of jelly seed, but so far I haven't seen an issue with mine and I try to let them ripen on the tree. Very dry here though for about 1 month.

Honorable mention - Pickering was pretty good this year although not one of my favorite mangoes.
E.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 11:13:13 PM »
NDM is actually an excellent mango. North Americans generally must eat them a little on the green side to appreciate them though.
Jeff  :-)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 08:59:23 AM »
These have impressed me the most this season, with the caveat that there are still more to try:

Sweet Tart
Jumbo Kesar
J-12
Graham.....yes, Graham. One individual specimen in particular I had may have been the best mango I ate all season.
Maha Chanok
Angie...these were consistently excellent
White Piri...fruited for the first time. Its definitely derived from Piri/Bombay but flavor is slightly different and I think an improvement
Carrie
ST Maui
Cac...might have been the most requested mango of the season.
Dot
Lemon Meringue

Others which I've enjoyed....Ah Ping, "Mario", Hindi Bessenara, Harvest Moon, Dupuis Saigon
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:06:52 AM by Squam256 »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 10:14:19 AM »
So far

Fruit Punch
Sweet Tart
Guava
Zinc
Pineapple Pleasure
Coc
Valcarrie
Providence
Duncan
Edward
Kesar
As always we are late in SoCal. I've been eating Duncan and Edward and they've be superb but in August and September we will have sindhiri, amrapali, manohar, Villa Clara to evaluate see how they match up to these top 11.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 12:05:33 PM »
Most of the mangoes I've tried have been consistently good, but Ice Cream mango was the stand out this season. Very sweet and reminded me of eating flan but with a tropical flavor. Imam Pasand was the runner up thus far being sweet and lemony with a piney after taste. Pickering has been a disappointment for the second straight season with early rainy weather.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 12:30:17 PM »
yup, the NDM's I have tasted locally from several different sources and at various degrees of ripeness including my tree have been off the charts fantastic ...

I agree with both of you. Good NDMs this year. Above good!! So good that a squirrel chomped into a colorful, dead ripe NDM. I washed it off with the garden hose and will eat later

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2016, 12:30:41 PM »
Most of the mangoes I've tried have been consistently good, but Ice Cream mango was the stand out this season. Very sweet and reminded me of eating flan but with a tropical flavor. Imam Pasand was the runner up thus far being sweet and lemony with a piney after taste. Pickering has been a disappointment for the second straight season with early rainy weather.

Not that I am a super fan of them but wondering if you have been harvesting at right time and letting them to fully ripen after harvest.  The ones I have tasted have been super sweet (yet still a Pickering).
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2016, 01:19:50 PM »
Pickering has been a disappointment for the second straight season with early rainy weather.

My Pickering have actually been very good, brix over 20.

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2016, 01:35:58 PM »
NDM is actually an excellent mango. North Americans generally must eat them a little on the green side to appreciate them though.

I like them a little bit green as well as completely ripe. Each way appeals to a different taste profile.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango