Author Topic: Why is mango tree dripping sap?  (Read 6537 times)

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
Why is mango tree dripping sap?
« on: November 12, 2016, 12:41:45 PM »

My Providence mango tree is dripping sap and the leaves are dying what can I do to save tree?
Joe

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Re: Why is mango tree dripping sap?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 01:35:42 PM »
I feel like this happened to mine when it was over watered. That is just a guess though.
-Josh

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 12:20:48 AM »
No one can help me?
Joe

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 12:48:13 AM »
It's some sort of dieback, but I'm not sure what caused it. I've had this on my J-12.
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 12:54:56 AM »
One possibility is a nutrient deficiency which weakened the tree and allowed a bacterial infection. Have you been regularly fertilizing the tree with a complex mix containing minor elements?

It could be something new in our area. In addition to my J-12, I noted a neighbor's tree across the canal with dieback in the upper part of the canopy.

Do a google search on "mango dieback gummosis"

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 07:20:41 AM »
First of all, take off those dead leaves because they will be a source of infection. Second, Stop watering. Vermented may be right. Some useful things to know are how long it has been in the ground, what you are feeding it, and a picture of the whole tree may give more indication of what is wrong. Try not to overdo anything. Sometimes trees just need time to heal on their own. You can kill a tree with too much "Love". As to the leaking sap, it may be some bacterial infection. I have had a couple trees with small amounts of "gummosis" but they seem to be quite healthy. Just my 2 cents.
E.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 10:48:18 AM »
During the dry season, you should be watering your mango. Twice a week for 10 minutes seems to be a good pattern. Consistent watering prevents fruit splitting and helps with nutrient uptake. Since our soil tends to be shallow sand, it dries out very quickly.

Gummosis is often a symptom of copper deficiency, which can be an issue in our high pH soil.

While some mango trees can be "set it and forget it," you really want to establish a consistent fertilization regimen, especially if you have shallow Broward soil underlayed with builder's fill. My favorite mango combo right now is Har's slow release 0-3-16 with minors and sulfur to lower pH.

Lastly, a fungicide program is extremely beneficial. A good copper fungicide product once a month helps stave off anthracnose and provides copper, which is often lacking in our soil.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 01:27:55 PM »
During the dry season, you should be watering your mango. Twice a week for 10 minutes seems to be a good pattern. Consistent watering prevents fruit splitting and helps with nutrient uptake. Since our soil tends to be shallow sand, it dries out very quickly.

Gummosis is often a symptom of copper deficiency, which can be an issue in our high pH soil.

While some mango trees can be "set it and forget it," you really want to establish a consistent fertilization regimen, especially if you have shallow Broward soil underlayed with builder's fill. My favorite mango combo right now is Har's slow release 0-3-16 with minors and sulfur to lower pH.

Lastly, a fungicide program is extremely beneficial. A good copper fungicide product once a month helps stave off anthracnose and provides copper, which is often lacking in our soil.

Jeff, it's watered 3 times a week for like 8 min at a time.... I spray cooler every month and it gets fed 4 times a year with citrus fert.. it's the only tree I have doing this! It's been in the ground for like 18 months and this seems like it happened over night
Joe

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 03:28:57 PM »
OK. Hopefully Har will chime in.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 08:13:44 PM »
Yes.  Spray with Copper, several times.

Phosphite would probably be useful also.   There are many brands:  Foliar Phosphite, Agri-Phos, Organocide Plant Doctor, KPhite....
Har

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 09:06:55 PM »
Yes.  Spray with Copper, several times.

Phosphite would probably be useful also.   There are many brands:  Foliar Phosphite, Agri-Phos, Organocide Plant Doctor, KPhite....
Har, shouldi trim the dying branches back first?
Joe

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 07:33:43 AM »
Optional--- good if only spraying with Copper--- but reduces absorption area to be sprayed with phosphite.
Har

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 08:54:52 AM »
this happened to a couple of my mango trees last year. Oozing sap, slow die back and eventually killing the tree. Over watering and bacterial infection is the cause of it.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 11:18:22 AM »
I think you guys are more prone to phomopsis out in the west. Here, our soil drains so fast that it's nearly impossible to overwater. During the rainy season, an inch of rain falls from the sky practically every day. There are a couple of isolated areas that have muck (which is similar to clay) and is prone to flooding. Miami-Dade also has a lot of marl which has the consistency of silty clay and retains water. But most of Broward and Palm Beach have fast draining sand which will be dry as a bone within 3 - 4 days of no rain.

this happened to a couple of my mango trees last year. Oozing sap, slow die back and eventually killing the tree. Over watering and bacterial infection is the cause of it.