Author Topic: Pickering Mango on the West Coast Area of FL?  (Read 7869 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Pickering Mango on the West Coast Area of FL?
« on: March 09, 2012, 09:21:33 PM »
I'm hunting for a Pickering Mango...we'll be in the area of  Bradenton, Palmetto, Sarasota and Ft. Myers area tomorrow...does any one know of a nursery that sells Pickering Mango near or around these places?

Thanks for any help...I've been trying to replace mine...

Nancy

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Pickering Mango on the West Coast Area of FL?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 11:36:41 PM »
I'm hunting for a Pickering Mango...we'll be in the area of  Bradenton, Palmetto, Sarasota and Ft. Myers area tomorrow...does any one know of a nursery that sells Pickering Mango near or around these places?

Thanks for any help...I've been trying to replace mine...

Nancy
Head East and I will hook you up with one  :D :)
- Rob

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 06:46:07 AM »
Hey Rob, I wish I could...but we're visiting family and thought I could squeeze in a quick Mango pick up ;D...

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 07:53:52 AM »
It might be worth contacting Steve, the gentleman whom Berto mentioned. He will be at the Bonita Springs Fruit tree sale today.   I spoke with him briefly last night -- nice guy who is very interested in mangos.     If you see a grizzly old fat guy in a gray t-shirt, that will be me.

It might not hurt to call Treehouse Nursery or Echo Nursery.

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 08:17:12 AM »
A couple months back I bought a Pickering for my Dad at Jene's tropicals in St Pete. Might be a little far for you though...

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 08:29:35 AM »
Yes, as mangomandan said, try Fruitscapes at 239-462-2341.  They are in Pine Island, Florida, see link for directions.  http://www.floridafruitscapes.com/About/Location.aspx
- Rob

jb_fla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 11:15:35 AM »
Probably too late Pug, but you can try Crowleys off Fruitville Rd.

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 03:23:39 PM »
Actually, I have an extra one you could have. If you stop in Venus  (not Venice)  on your way back north.  You could have it for what I paid, thirty.  zip code is 33960 if you want to figure out where that is

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 08:51:01 AM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone...I really appreciate it!

Dan, Got home kind of late and didn't see this post till this morning  :(...what a nice offer...appreciate it! But, I found one! Would have jumped on your kind offer if I didn't!

I found one at Crowley's...thanks jb_fl. Made a list of nurseries (phone #'s) in the area and started calling around in the car, Called Crowley's and sure enough they had some so that's where I ended up getting it. She a couple of 3 gallons but only had (2) 7 gallon and one was half dead, this was def. the better one. Slim pickings but I'm happy with it. The tree has a few cold damage leaves from the last cold snap they had...but overall looks pretty healthy..some TLC and hopefully it will be fine...

I picked up this 7 gallon...Thanks again for all your help

Few fruits and blooms on the tree too...

If the blooms or fruits don't make it I will repot it to a different pot...I'll wait and see, I might want to keep a couple on the tree since the tree is a little bigger than a 3 gallon.

JSvand  if you read this post or anyone else...you've bare rooted a few mango trees before right, when you repot in Al's gritty mix? Its been over 5 years since I've bare rooted a mango tree...did you remove "all" the old nursery soil...any other tips you have lmk? I know to leave it in the shade for a week or so...I think this is one thing I did not do when I did mine over 5 years ago and I lost a Ton of leaves. I'm a little apprehensive bare rooting this mango because I'm afraid of killing it. I've bare rooted a bunch of plants before I use the gritty mix but this Pickering is one I don't want to lose. Thanks!

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 06:57:34 PM »
Actually, I have an extra one you could have. If you stop in Venus  (not Venice)  on your way back north.  You could have it for what I paid, thirty.  zip code is 33960 if you want to figure out where that is

Hi Dan, This neighbor in Venus will take the Pickering if  you still have it. I'll PM you.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 12:54:47 AM »
I have always removed all of the soil and trimmed the roots. Never had a problem but I think you should just stick it in the ground and not have to worry about it.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 01:02:08 AM »

JSvand  if you read this post or anyone else...you've bare rooted a few mango trees before right, when you repot in Al's gritty mix? Its been over 5 years since I've bare rooted a mango tree...did you remove "all" the old nursery soil...any other tips you have lmk? I know to leave it in the shade for a week or so...I think this is one thing I did not do when I did mine over 5 years ago and I lost a Ton of leaves. I'm a little apprehensive bare rooting this mango because I'm afraid of killing it. I've bare rooted a bunch of plants before I use the gritty mix but this Pickering is one I don't want to lose. Thanks!

My container growing  experience is abysmal but........ No way would I stress a mango this way especially a 7 gallon one. Way too big. So the way I plant in the ground which should be applicable to your Pickering container mango.
Leaving all mango soil intact>>>My own form of barerooting is to break up roots with a knife if the plant is root bound. Especially at the bottom of the pot and the bottom of the pot rim. Also on the sides but less so. I really knife away but then water generously for a week. I plant with a little slow release fertilizer at the bottom and sides.
The mango you just bought is potted up in some kind of potting mix so don't worry about adding that to your Al's mix.

Just my 2¢ worth

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 01:09:02 AM »

Hi Dan, This neighbor in Venus will take the Pickering if  you still have it. I'll PM you.

Just to add to the Pickering mango mania....The Pickering I planted last year has the most little fruits off all my mango trees this season. It really gets that part done. Now nature will start thinning them out. Like others say>>> Pickering put more energy into fruiting and less into making leaves and branches. Making for a smaller tree that grows slower.

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 09:56:07 AM »
My Pickerings are still small, maybe 3 feet tall.  I'm guessing that I should thin the fruit extensively to avoid stressing the tree and breaking branches.   Maybe leave 2 or 3 fruit?

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 07:04:47 PM »

My container growing  experience is abysmal but........ No way would I stress a mango this way especially a 7 gallon one. Way too big. So the way I plant in the ground which should be applicable to your Pickering container mango.
Leaving all mango soil intact>>>My own form of barerooting is to break up roots with a knife if the plant is root bound. Especially at the bottom of the pot and the bottom of the pot rim. Also on the sides but less so. I really knife away but then water generously for a week. I plant with a little slow release fertilizer at the bottom and sides.
The mango you just bought is potted up in some kind of potting mix so don't worry about adding that to your Al's mix.

Just my 2¢ worth

The problem with that is that the Al's mix is totally different from a more traditional potting mix. If you are going to use Al's mix you have to totally remove all of the soil from the nursery.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 09:04:38 PM »
Jsvand5----

I would never bareroot a 7 gallon mango. I would do a semi-All's gritty by leaving the nursery potting mix intact.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 09:16:42 PM »
Can't really do that with Al's mix because all of the water would run right through it around the edges of the pot and the original nursery soil in the center would never have a chance to get saturated with water. Eventually the potting mix is going to have to be changed for a potted tree no matter the size. Once the organic material in traditional potting mixes compacts the tree will start to decline.