Author Topic: hypoglauca  (Read 742 times)

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
hypoglauca
« on: August 02, 2020, 12:50:35 PM »
I was given these 4 seeds last year in October and I left them in damp
vermiculite until a couple weeks ago. Initially I was told to crack the seed coat
and I should have tried it on one. A couple weeks ago I chipped the edge off all 4 and
was pleasantly suprised today when I checked them. The coat was so thick I wonder
if they would have ever germinated? So how deep do you plant germinated Pouteria seeds?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: hypoglauca
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 01:01:13 PM »
I got a Pouteria Hypoglauca from F and S park. Took about 1 year. Sent a taproot out then a few months later emerged with a sprout. I never messed with the seed coat and it still sprouted but removing it will probably take less time to germinate. Mine was about 1 1/2 inches below and now is a nice seedling.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 01:06:11 PM »
Pretty sure mike is referring to anonna hypoglauca... not pouteria, pretty cool man congrats.

-Joe

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 01:09:43 PM »
I was given these 4 seeds last year in October and I left them in damp
vermiculite until a couple weeks ago. Initially I was told to crack the seed coat
and I should have tried it on one. A couple weeks ago I chipped the edge off all 4 and
was pleasantly suprised today when I checked them. The coat was so thick I wonder
if they would have ever germinated? So how deep do you plant germinated Pouteria seeds?

That looks like pouteria species by the look of the seeds "cat eye". My bad if I am incorrect.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 01:12:21 PM by Jaboticaba45 »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 01:15:59 PM »
Pretty sure mike is referring to anonna hypoglauca... not pouteria, pretty cool man congrats.

-Joe
It is Pouteria